Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Out of interest, has anyone fitted 205/45 r16’s to their GT Line/S?
My OEM 195/45 r16’s are wearing a little thin on tread and I fancy something a little beefier. I know my speedo will be out by a whisker before anyone says something and my insurance will need to be notified...
Thanks,

Steve :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ‘45’ is a ratio of the width, on this case 195, so if the width is wider at 205 the same 45 side wall section will be marginally bigger giving it a larger circumference.
For example my wife’s car (the Picanto in question) has 195/45 R16’s whilst my VW Touareg has 285/45 R20’s. The tyre wall on my VW is much deeper than that of the Kia.
Hope that makes sense.

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi folks,
My OEM 195/45 r16’s are wearing a little thin on tread and I fancy something a little beefier. I know my speedo will be out by a whisker before anyone says something and my insurance will need to be notified...
Thanks,

Your speedo will read spot on with those tyres as mine is 5Km slow with 195/45/16 from my GPS. I am looking at the same or 195/50/16 to also improve ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi folks,
Thanks,

I would hesitate to do this for two reasons. One, the steering will be heavier. Two, perhaps to a lesser extent you might actually perceive a slight decrease in performance due to the higher unsprung weight. As an example, The GT Line 1.25 litre version here in Australia performs slightly worse than the stock standard "S" version and only difference between the two of any relevance is that the wheel and tyre combination weighs more in the GT line version and the tyres are wider.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would hesitate to do this for two reasons. One, the steering will be heavier. Two, perhaps to a lesser extent you might actually perceive a slight decrease in performance due to the higher unsprung weight. As an example, The GT Line 1.25 litre version here in Australia performs slightly worse than the stock standard "S" version and only difference between the two of any relevance is that the wheel and tyre combination weighs more in the GT line version and the tyres are wider.
This would be negligable on the Turbo model or maybe you should put 14" steelies on as a performance upgrade!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The performance differences with heavier wheel / tyre combinations is actually much more significant than people might think. There is a rule of thumb that you mutiply the added weight by a factor of 10 to obtain an estimate of the effective "weight" that is added to the car. So if each wheel and tyre "upgrade" added just one kilo, that is going to be the equivalent of carrying a child in the car.

I have no evidence of the effect of heavier wheels and tyres on the turbo, but so far as the 1.25 litre model is concerned: Wheels Magazine found only 0.1 second difference between the manual 1.25 litre Picanto and the automatic version over the standing 400 metres - both fitted with exactly the same 14 inch steel wheels and 175/65/14 tyres.

But Performance Drive (on YouTube) tested the same manual 1.25 litre Picanto S (again, 14 inch steelies with 175/65/14 tyres) and also the GT Line automatic which was of course fitted with 16 inch alloys with 195/45/16 tyres. In this case there was a 0.6 second difference between them over the same distance. Whilst you can't directly compare the Wheels tests to the Performance Drive tests, the relative performance within each of the tests is relevant because the conditions were the same within each of the tests. And with those tests, it wasn't just one run - it was based on a number of runs averaged out - so there is consistency in the Gt Line automatic being slower than the S automatic, yet the only difference is the heavier wheels and tyres.

In the case of this thread, of course we are only talking about heavier tyres since the wheels stay the same. But the car will still be slower - maybe only 0.3 of second over the 400 but still slower compared to just sticking with the stock fitment. That is rotational physics for you. So from my point of the view, the answer would be why compromise what modest performance there is to begin with and why make the steering heavier and feel different - the steering on these cars is a real standout just as it is and is a big factor in the enjoyment of driving them.

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
So in real world it would make next to no difference. So long as you remember to not have the full english before you set off in the morning. :eek: :eek:
Same with weight over MPG.
Daughter is just 6 stone, I'm 11 stone. Yet both get the same MPG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts