Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having got the Stinger bug and committed to one I have been watching youtube vids. Australia seems to have a bi modal exhaust option. Anyone know if it is available here in any form?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Steve, I haven’t heard about this in the UK.

Wait ‘til you hear your exhaust on Friday, and have tried all the different driving modes and sound actuator settings. Unless you’re a fan of super-loud cracking and popping, I think you will be happy enough!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Steve
I have the 2019 V6 GT without the bi modal exhaust, the outside exhaust note is quiet but inside the car the exhaust note is satisfying. I think that way you get the best of both, don't annoy the neighbours and experience a nice sound inside.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having got the Stinger bug and committed to one I have been watching youtube vids. Australia seems to have a bi modal exhaust option. Anyone know if it is available here in any form?
The new 2021 model is meant to have the bi-modal exhaust as it will have the valve inside that opens in sport mode.

However if the rest of the exhaust is actually the same apart from that valve it makes me wonder if it will actually just make it quieter when not open and that current Stingers are running always open as there is no valve if you get where I am coming from.

As Dunc has said, I think in Sports mode and the fake sound on max it sounds great inside to me. Although the hooligan in me would kill for it to pop and bang like the AMG's haha.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 2020 GT is loud without the sound actuator on (y)

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Admittedly I was only able to drive a 2018 model in between lockdowns so the 2020/70 Reg one coming may be better
Regarding upsetting neighbours, that would be a bonus, especially one particularly irritating one who has boy racer exhausts on his Ferrari, Lamborghini and 2 Porsches. I'm not envious at all. lol
Actually, I have to say, the Lambo and Fezza sound bloody awful as a neighbour. Not nice tones at all. I'm sure they're great in the car when driving at full chat but how often does he do that here in suburbia

·
Registered
116 Posts
The new 2021 model is meant to have the bi-modal exhaust as it will have the valve inside that opens in sport mode.

However if the rest of the exhaust is actually the same apart from that valve it makes me wonder if it will actually just make it quieter when not open and that current Stingers are running always open as there is no valve if you get where I am coming from.

As Dunc has said, I think in Sports mode and the fake sound on max it sounds great inside to me. Although the hooligan in me would kill for it to pop and bang like the AMG's haha.
I spoke to the sales manager at my dealership and he confirmed the 2021 updated model will come with the adaptive exhaust as standard in the UK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Won't the bi-modal exhaust also come with a PPF (Petrol Particulate Filter)?
Not necessariy a bad thing, as it's a reason to give the car a good run. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Won't the bi-modal exhaust also come with a PPF (Petrol Particulate Filter)?
Not necessariy a bad thing, as it's a reason to give the car a good run. ;)
Yes it will. My 2019 has one and there is no way a 2021 version wouldn't. Time will tell whether they raise issues like the early DPF filters.

Only had my light come on twice in 3.5k miles but I do 1k-1.5k a month which you would think would be enough to clear it. My previous diesel Cee'd did the exact same journeys and never had one light in 64k miles!

Weirdly both times mine came on whilst driving and after I had been ragging it hard in Sport mode. The second time was also 120 miles in to the 190 miles I drove that day so definitely hitting all the usual parameters to avoid this sort of thing. Almost as though flooring it actually made it clog up easier :unsure: I continued driving and it went away the next day so no problem other than the temporary shocking fuel economy and juddering while the light is on.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a quieter exhaust (although do have later back boxes so perhaps it's a bit of a mix and match), but also no PPF so perhaps this a fair trade off?! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts