Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having got the Stinger bug and committed to one I have been watching youtube vids. Australia seems to have a bi modal exhaust option. Anyone know if it is available here in any form?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Steve, I haven’t heard about this in the UK.

Wait ‘til you hear your exhaust on Friday, and have tried all the different driving modes and sound actuator settings. Unless you’re a fan of super-loud cracking and popping, I think you will be happy enough!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Steve
I have the 2019 V6 GT without the bi modal exhaust, the outside exhaust note is quiet but inside the car the exhaust note is satisfying. I think that way you get the best of both, don't annoy the neighbours and experience a nice sound inside.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Having got the Stinger bug and committed to one I have been watching youtube vids. Australia seems to have a bi modal exhaust option. Anyone know if it is available here in any form?
The new 2021 model is meant to have the bi-modal exhaust as it will have the valve inside that opens in sport mode.

However if the rest of the exhaust is actually the same apart from that valve it makes me wonder if it will actually just make it quieter when not open and that current Stingers are running always open as there is no valve if you get where I am coming from.

As Dunc has said, I think in Sports mode and the fake sound on max it sounds great inside to me. Although the hooligan in me would kill for it to pop and bang like the AMG's haha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Admittedly I was only able to drive a 2018 model in between lockdowns so the 2020/70 Reg one coming may be better
Regarding upsetting neighbours, that would be a bonus, especially one particularly irritating one who has boy racer exhausts on his Ferrari, Lamborghini and 2 Porsches. I'm not envious at all. lol
Actually, I have to say, the Lambo and Fezza sound bloody awful as a neighbour. Not nice tones at all. I'm sure they're great in the car when driving at full chat but how often does he do that here in suburbia

·
Registered
134 Posts
The new 2021 model is meant to have the bi-modal exhaust as it will have the valve inside that opens in sport mode.

However if the rest of the exhaust is actually the same apart from that valve it makes me wonder if it will actually just make it quieter when not open and that current Stingers are running always open as there is no valve if you get where I am coming from.

As Dunc has said, I think in Sports mode and the fake sound on max it sounds great inside to me. Although the hooligan in me would kill for it to pop and bang like the AMG's haha.
I spoke to the sales manager at my dealership and he confirmed the 2021 updated model will come with the adaptive exhaust as standard in the UK.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Won't the bi-modal exhaust also come with a PPF (Petrol Particulate Filter)?
Not necessariy a bad thing, as it's a reason to give the car a good run. ;)
Yes it will. My 2019 has one and there is no way a 2021 version wouldn't. Time will tell whether they raise issues like the early DPF filters.

Only had my light come on twice in 3.5k miles but I do 1k-1.5k a month which you would think would be enough to clear it. My previous diesel Cee'd did the exact same journeys and never had one light in 64k miles!

Weirdly both times mine came on whilst driving and after I had been ragging it hard in Sport mode. The second time was also 120 miles in to the 190 miles I drove that day so definitely hitting all the usual parameters to avoid this sort of thing. Almost as though flooring it actually made it clog up easier :unsure: I continued driving and it went away the next day so no problem other than the temporary shocking fuel economy and juddering while the light is on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke to the sales manager at my dealership and he confirmed the 2021 updated model will come with the adaptive exhaust as standard in the UK.
Did they say if it could be retrofitted? I've considering some sort of exhaust upgrade as it's definitely too quiet for me. In the US, Borla seems to be the most popular option but they're only available here as an import and pretty pricey.
Would be interested to hear what others have done?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did they say if it could be retrofitted? I've considering some sort of exhaust upgrade as it's definitely too quiet for me. In the US, Borla seems to be the most popular option but they're only available here as an import and pretty pricey.
Would be interested to hear what others have done?
Quicksilver in the UK do Stinger exhausts but I have never heard one in person. The audio quality through recordings will never give a true feeling of what it is like and for me the most important is drone when cruising. That is something you will never know until you have one fitted and what one person thinks is fine would drive another crazy.

They seem to offer different configurations and think this isn't just the back box but also the mid pipes too all of which change the sound. No details of pricing on their site either, you have to contact them.

Below is another vid too but annoyingly at the start they don't want to rev past 2k rpm so the sound check is a complete waste of time! I want to know what it sounds like 3k-6k rpm or on a cold start personally. Good run down of the system though and important if you have a GPF fitted car. However he said that these are in fact a GPF delete. I may be wrong but I'm sure that would be an MOT fail (although the tester would have to open your exhaust to know it is missing). Not sure if this would throw any GPF codes on the dash too. Could open up a whole can of worms.

Probably a one off but somebody on the Stinger UK Facebook group had their 3.3l fail on emissions at its first MOT at 20k miles and has had to have two new catalytic converters (Kia could not get it through emissions) at the cost of £2k-£3k as the warranty would not pay out. Note - warranty is only being refused due to the first service being missed because previous owner was told 10k mile services. Incredibly unfortunate and unlucky for the guy! If there is anyway they can get out of a warrant claim they will take it. I find it incredibly hard to believe that because it had its first service at 10k that means the catalytic converters would fail but that is the line they took.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That is a terrible story! I'd have no hesitation to believe that Kia is at fault here for telling the customer that the interval is 10k. Even their own website doesn't recognise the Stingers interval properly.

With regards to retro fitting, just the back boxes on the singer are £1200 alone, so the whole system would cost thousands I expect, plus the fitting with the valve controls etc.

What confuses me about the PPF thing is that early cars didn't have one, yet had a quiet exhaust, then the later cars with PPF are louder (Oli in the QS video above correctly says PPFs rob the car of it's noise). Therefore, there must be other parts of the exhaust that are different. You'd think this might be the back box design, but I have later back boxes on mine (I think) which are louder than the original, but you'd think that with no PPF AND later back boxes my exhaust would be really fruity - but it's not!

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is a terrible story! I'd have no hesitation to believe that Kia is at fault here for telling the customer that the interval is 10k. Even their own website doesn't recognise the Stingers interval properly.

With regards to retro fitting, just the back boxes on the singer are £1200 alone, so the whole system would cost thousands I expect, plus the fitting with the valve controls etc.

What confuses me about the PPF thing is that early cars didn't have one, yet had a quiet exhaust, then the later cars with PPF are louder (Oli in the QS video above correctly says PPFs rob the car of it's noise). Therefore, there must be other parts of the exhaust that are different. You'd think this might be the back box design, but I have later back boxes on mine (I think) which are louder than the original, but you'd think that with no PPF AND later back boxes my exhaust would be really fruity - but it's not!
Without a doubt Kia will be at fault originally. I think it was the same guy whose car was even supplied with a service book that has 12 month/10k miles services too because they did not have the Stinger ones printed.

I had a call only last week to book me in for my third service for March. 2 hours later I get a call from the dealership telling me that I am on 10k miles services because she thought the 3.3 T-GDI was a diesel... doesn't fill you with confidence! Let's hope the people actually looking underneath the car know what they are doing.

It is odd that with the introduction of the GPF the exhaust actually got louder. All very confusing! When you look at a video of the new 911 with the GPF compared to the old ones they sound terrible now as do most other sports cars with the GPF fitted. They all sound like vacuum cleaners! Very odd that the Stinger somehow ended up louder from its original launch. Stupid noise and emission regulations spoiling the fun to keep us all healthier :LOL:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.