Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a trip to the local "Albanian/Rumanian " car wash and a severe overnight frost the picture quality on the reverse camera on my 2017 Sportage was suddenly very cloudy. After cleaning the lens and inspecting it I found a hairline crack and suspect water ingress into the camera. I remembered then thinking, how close the washer operator was when jetting the tailgate of the car in front. Tried drying out with the wife's hair dryer but little of no improvement.
Put it in to dealers and tried to claim under warranty-but as expected rejected due to damage! I asked for an estimate to supply and fit new camera-£612.00!
Got one used one off ebay (18 month old complete with tailgate handle) for £74, took 20 minutes to remove and fit and job done.
Although I can't be certain just a warning folks, to be very aware of using a pressure washer close to the camera lens.
Will be hand washing from now on- not sure what the effect will be on Eastern European economy.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 Diesel AWD KX3
490 Posts
You got lucky on sourcing the second hand unit.
I am a frequent user of Imo car washes where they use the jet washers to remove dirt and clean wheels etc before the main wash. There looks to be some pressure on those jet washers. I must say it does concern me as to the possibility of some paint or lacquer getting breached and stripped off like wallpaper.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
I'd always be wary of pressure washers. I know someone who stripped a lot of paint from thier car. My karsher has a car setting but at that rarely use it.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
I never have my cars washed by anyone else other than myself. I give my car to the dealer for servicing washed by me first, and ask them not to clean anything as I put protective products on it.
Lucky I’m a scrum master. If I were in the car valeting/hand wash business I would be bankrupt.

Reactions: Sad555 and Taxcode

·
Registered
426 Posts
Had the same experience last year with wife's car which had alloy wheels professionally powder coated in 2020. Fortunately the base coat is a similar colour and a refurb job can wait a tad longer until the weather picks up.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Ceed SW PHEV
58 Posts
This is good information JohnCB. Great to know these are straight forward enough to fit and certainly if something similar happens mine I will be on eBay rather than shelling out that amount for a new one to be fitted by the dealers.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
Further to the above damage, I have read of parking sensors being ruined by high pressure jetwashers.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage 1.6T 4 Manuel Petrol
16 Posts
Good post this,
I am in the cleaning business, never take your cay to a foreign car wash, two things to remember. One, the chemicals' need to be mixed correctly and if cheep can seriously damage you paint work, lacquer on the wheels..
Two, when having your car professionally cleaned we have many different pressure nozzles that are used. one especially for paint body work that has a very wide spray with little pressure.
leave it to the professionals!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
There are a lot of different types of pressure washers available, many have the pressure regulators set too high, possibly because the pressure regulators are not easily accessible to the user so the users don't bother adjusting it down again.

the low press. wide spray nozzle that patburrows76 mentions above is safe enough, but most of the others can loosen trim and parts stuck on with double sided tape. Even the paint can be separated from the steel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good post this,
I am in the cleaning business, never take your cay to a foreign car wash, two things to remember. One, the chemicals' need to be mixed correctly and if cheep can seriously damage you paint work, lacquer on the wheels..
Two, when having your car professionally cleaned we have many different pressure nozzles that are used. one especially for paint body work that has a very wide spray with little pressure.
leave it to the professionals!!
Totally Agree......there wash mitts...pre wash...total crap...🙄

1 - 13 of 13 Posts