Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my summer tyres on at the end of last week, whatwith daytime temps getting above 15 C. Of course this morning was -1, typical!
Anyway, I finally got the last two stock Hankook 406 I hadreplaced with the Falkens I bought many months ago, and it has made a massive difference to the handling of the car and the feel of the steering. I've still got Nokian H on the back, and while theyare ok on the front, they seem a bit prone to sideways movement on the back. So I think I'll put the Nokians on the front, wear them out and get another pair of Falkens as replacements.

I was wondering if anyone had gone to 16 inch rims and wider, lower profile tyres? I think that might make the handling and steering even better.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought I'd better give an update.
I put the Falkens on the back and rear handling was still not good. It turned out therear shocks had gone. Got them changed under warranty, and most of the handling problems have improved, but it's still a bit poor in cross winds and lacking rear grip in the wet. I'm also getting a lot of vibration. The garage say the failed shocks have damaged the rear tyres (the Falkens). I'm not too happy about it, the tyres were not on the back for very long before the shocks were replaced.

Consequently I looked on the tyre forums and found that some people found that the Falken 912 sometimes wears in an unusual way. So I'm looking for a diferent tyre now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I'd update this post...
Got the Falkens off and examined them. I've never seem a tyre wear this way, EVER. The outer treads (inside and out) of both tyres had worn down much more rapidly than the central section of the tread in a kind of step like fashion. The tread blocks had distorted and even had cracks in the rubber! The tyres were at the correct pressure, so it was not a case of under inflation.

I would stay well away from Falken tyres! They might be ok for the first few miles, but then they seem to fall apart.

I have replaced them with Continental Premium Contact 5 tyres. They are amazing so far! The handling is exceptional, lots of grip, the car feels more stable, less twitchy and more predictable.

Edited by: M4trundler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts