Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue where my battery is not holding its charge enough for the ISG to work most of the time.

My car is under 2 years old so I believe the battery is covered by the warranty, however, my KIA garage has initially said it may be due to "wear and tear" and not covered.

I have read the T's and C's on wear and tear and can't see anything that would effect a battery, can you advise?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi NorthwichBen

Thanks for the post.

Original batteries are covered for 24 months (with
unlimited mileage in that time). For us to cover a battery under warranty, the
Kia technician will need to find defect to material or workmanship of the
battery or a related manufacturer's concern that has damaged it. Generally, a
less than 2 year old battery can only be said to have wear and tear if factors
beyond manufacturer's control e.g. inappropriate modifications have caused
issues.

Regarding ISG, it is possible there is no defect to the
battery but it's simply not holding enough charge due to style of driving or
your typical mileage. The dealer's usual first step is to have the Kia on site
for an overnight battery charge.

We hope this helps but if you'd like to open a case
with us whilst your dealer investigates, please give us a call on the number
below.

KiaCustomer Service

0333 2022990<u2:p></u2:p><u3:p></u3:p><u4:p></u4:p><u5:p></u5:p><u6:p></u6:p><u7:p></u7:p><u1:p></u1:p>

<u8:p style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 16.8px;"></u8:p>

Visitwww.kia.co.uk

Join inwww.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk

Enjoywww.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Follow us @KIAUK on twitter<u2:p></u2:p><u3:p></u3:p><u4:p></u4:p><u5:p></u5:p><u6:p></u6:p><u7:p></u7:p><u1:p></u1:p>

<u8:p style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 16.8px;"></u8:p>

Call
centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 9pm

Saturday: 9am - 1pm

Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.
The car was in with the dealer in May and they did an overnight charge on it then and it worked great for a couple of days, but again, if I didn't drive it for a day or two then the ISG wouldn't work until I had done about 60 miles in it again (I assume to charge the battery up again!).

I am taking it in again today for them to charge tonight and do a 6 hour (lock down) tomorrow to see what happens.

The car has only done 19,000 miles and my commute is 27 miles (one way)on mainly motorway so I would hope this wouldn't have any negative effect on a battery!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Driving style is a big factor in ISG working and keeping the battery fully charged brake/slow down using your gears keeps ISG working and battery charged

My Ceed GT Line ISG works as it should all the time, I do occasionally charge my battery with the correct charger if the car as been standing for 3 or 4 weeks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would have thought the battery is not man enough for the job. 19000 miles in under two years is not under use 27 miles should be enough to recharge battery. You could take to a independant garage to have battery checked and charging of vehicle checked. How do you rate wear and tear on a battery.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with kcs here the battery has a warranty of two years therefore if its faulty and not holding a charge wear and tear doesn't come into it its a battery manufacturers of the battery replace them within the warranty if proved faulty they do not claim wear and tear poor excuse kcs

·
Registered
96 Posts
The ISG algorithm is complicated (there is a good explanation on this forum somewhere, gleaned from a KIA site in Denmark if I recall correctly?). Put crudely, the intelligent charging system, under normal driving, will only bring your battery up to a certain state of charge (80% for the sake of easy description). The ISG on the other hand will only operate if the battery is charged beyond this point. This occurs only during braking or heavy deceleration, when the alternator will work effectively to capture some of the energy being dissipated and put additional charge into the battery beyond the 80% mark. Putting the battery on charge at the garage would of course have the same effect!

In practice, I find that this means that you can seemingly cruise forever on the motorway and still have the ISG fail to operate, but a short spell of driving in stop/start traffic and it will soon cut in - which is arguably where it is potentially of the most environmental benefit.

So, as KCS suggest, you need more than erratic ISG behaviour to establish that the battery is faulty. Hopefully, it isn't.

Hope this helps,

Trevor

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
artscot79 said:
I'm gonna disagree with kcs here the battery has a warranty of two years therefore if its faulty and not holding a charge wear and tear doesn't come into it its a battery manufacturers of the battery replace them within the warranty if proved faulty they do not claim wear and tear poor excuse kcs

This was our point above. If the battery faults within the 2 year period, we cover it and don't pass it off as wear and tear. But there are instances where a battery may be misused for example, and we can't cover under warranty, however old it is.

Kia Customer Service

1 - 8 of 8 Posts