Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im hoping somebody here can help me
I have a 2011 kia sportage 1.7crdi sl eco im led to believe that when you start your car the battery voltage should be around 14.3 with just the day lights on but my battery isnt the voltage is 12.4 ....when you turn the lights on it then goes up to 14.3 would anyone know whats causing this please..
Regards
Richard

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
OK this is also normal. Have a search on here for explanations of how stop/start and battery charging works. The vehicle has to meet several conditions before stop/start will engage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi im hoping somebody here can help me
I have a 2011 kia sportage 1.7crdi sl eco im led to believe that when you start your car the battery voltage should be around 14.3 with just the day lights on but my battery isnt the voltage is 12.4 ....when you turn the lights on it then goes up to 14.3 would anyone know whats causing this please..
Regards
Richard
Don't discount the fact that glow plugs can stay on after starting to smooth out combustion and also remember that a battery that has just started a vehicle will drop voltage if you test straight after starting keep your volt
meter on the batt posts and watch at some point the voltage should start to climb and it should level out around 14 .5 this is normal

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
This is the smart alternator working. Until it has a load put on it it does not kick in if the battery is charged. Hyundai also the same alternator and working as you explained. When i hook my caravan up the alternator is not putting high enough
volts out for the fridge to operate. Switch headlights on alternator kicks in,the fridge starts working. Then switch headlights off and fridge draws enough current to keep the alternator kicking out 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look at your split charge relay pay attention to negative make sure you don't have high ohms reading between the car and caravan had this issue with in car amp over came it by running negative wire from batt all the way to the boot and check with the caravan plugged in test from the earth point beside auxiliary cig socket in the boot to the caravan also use a long pice of wire from the body of the fridge to your ohm meter and test at aux plug if you have a high resistance reading this could be your answer I qualify this as follows if you have little or no charge going to your batt test your neg leads and 9 times out of ten you will find that a poor contact prevents charge to test this I normally use a jump lead from the engine to batt post then retest volts these should start to rise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts