Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Battery Replacement

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pesach 
#1 ·
... Ceed CRDi eco, 2017.

Simple question people, do I need to use a memory saver, or can I just remove and replace the very sick battery?

I'd much rather display my ignorance by asking the question than my stupidity by just going ahead without asking.

Many thanks, Stay Safe!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I don't know as never done it on a Cee'd but two posts up is a battery replacement thread and the general consensus is that you can remove and refit and all radio codes are retained. Worst case you have to set the time again and you lose any temporary data in the trip computer. I've never needed to use a saver on any other car I've changed a battery on.

Edit 1.6CRDi Battery Type (added link as threads move after each posting).

#3 ·
Not sure about the Ceed to to achieve the full capacity some cars with stop/start require the battery to be coded to the car. This has nothing to do the the radio codes but I believe if its not done not only will stop/start not work correctly but teh life of the battery will be reduced.

The following is taken form the Banner batteries website, they know a thing or 2 about batteries.

"Kia
For models with the ISG (Idle Stop&Go) start-stop system, the battery must be initialised. Meanwhile, the vehicle remains locked for up to 4 hours. The ISG system can then be used again afterwards.
Banner conclusion: Initialisation of the battery required at start-stop, lasts up to 4 hours, vehicle cannot be used in the meantime. We are still checking whether this applies to all current models.
Please do not get confused about recalibrating the battery sensor!
If the negative terminal (-) of the battery was disconnected during repair work or battery replacement on a car equipped with ISG function, the battery sensor must be recalibrated after the work has been completed.
Banner tip - it's as simple as this in most cases.
1. Switch the ignition on and then off again.
2. Park the car for approx. 4 hours with the bonnet and doors closed."

Link to Banner site ⊳ Registering the battery - How to do it properly ❘ Banner know-how

Simpler way is to buy a battery form Kia dealer and let them sort it.

#4 ·
do I need to use a memory saver, or can I just remove and replace the very sick battery?
Welcome to the forum, 'Pesach'.

While I don't know if your radio is coded and many modern installations do not seem to require a code, I can tell you that when I purchased my late 2016 Optima, the KIA dealer presented me with a 4-digit code for the radio which I duly noted in the owners's manual.

That said, when the car battery became weak, a little prematurely for my liking, I performed the rudimentary checks which informed me that the sensible option would be to replace it. As I already had a memory saver in one of many drawers full of odds and ends, I decided to give it a run-out.

The upshot was that I lost the trip meter readings (2) and the average fuel consumption read-out but the radio was fine as were all other functions in the head unit and within the instrument binnacle. Recorded destinations and all other satnav information was unchanged. Over the following few days, I kept an eye open for anything I might have missed but the car was fine and never gave me any cause for concern that I might have missed something.

I suppose the memory saver is a useful tool but I have replaced loads of batteries in cars, vans and trucks without a memory-saving device and never had a problem arise.

If you are interested in one of these devices, this is the one I have:

Rectangle Gesture Automotive lighting Font Cable

It is a Gunson product and avoids the need to have another battery to hand and the use of crocodile clips as it is mains-powered.

#5 ·
No codes. Remove. Refit. Drive.

Needs a few hours driving to sort itself out then the stop/start will come back to life.

Did exactly this on my 2017 and its been fine since.

New battery from tayna.co.uk.
Don't go cheap. Bosch S5 had been a winner for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.