Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, indeed I've recently purchased my first ever Kia and so far I love it! It's a 2015 Pro Cee'd 1.6 CRDI 128BHP.

Only issue I have had so far (and from what I've read it's a common one) is that the ISG so far hadn't worked once.. Thought I may as well bite the bullet and invested in a new battery, a Bosch S5 A08 70AH/760CCA AGM.

I've replaced many a battery before, but I've got a few questions before I procee'd (pun intended..)..

Is the radio going to lock me out once the old battery is removed? Most nowadays won't have an issue unless they're removed entirely, but can anyone tell me exactly what to expect, if anything?

Apparently other items may need to be reset after a battery disconnect, I.e power windows, automatic climate control etc, any ideas?

And lastly, a question regarding AGM/start-stop batteries in general..

I borrowed a battery charger to make sure the battery is fully topped up prior to install, but then read that only proper AGM chargers should be used or the battery could suffer damage, is this true? It makes sense really..

I'm now using a 0.8Amp trickle charger to try and bring it upto being full.. 12 hours in and not a bit of difference ? I reckon it'll be ready by Christmas at this rate!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I wouldn't bother replacing the battery at this stage.

Wait until next summer, and you'll probably find the ISG starts working.

It's bullsh-t technology anyway, so it's a good thing it isn't working.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-12v-4...h=item4b0e209c92:g:~jMAAOSwo4pYUXEs:rk:3:pf:0 when I bought my first Kia good bit of kit

As for ISG mine works each and everytime, I use the charger to keep my battery topped up when the car isn't being used for a few days

ISG will work if you drive correctly ie slow down using gears not just braking, maybe a problem on autos can't say

Had three kia's and never had a problem with ISG failing to work what summer has to do with it not sure??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys!

mcsport, regarding the trip computer and clock, I take it that means they'll literally just reset to 0 so the only thing to be done really is to change the clock to the correct time again?

Regarding the A/C and heater, the link says they need to be reset but offers nothing on how to do this.. What actually happens to these items when the battery is removed? I'd never have imagined taking the battery out would affect them even slightly!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
456 Posts

mcsport, regarding the trip computer and clock, I take it that means they'll literally just reset to 0 so the only thing to be done really is to change the clock to the correct time again?

Regarding the A/C and heater, the link says they need to be reset but offers nothing on how to do this.. What actually happens to these items when the battery is removed? I'd never have imagined taking the battery out would affect them even slightly!

Thanks again!
I had an older Ceed. Not the Model you have.
The fact that there are no instructions (as there are for resetting the Windows and Sunroof) I doubt it will be anything more than setting your preferred Temperature/Air Direction, the Time on the Clock and your Radio Stations/Audio Settings (i.e. Bass, Treble and Fade)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you insist on diy then another option maybe not to disconnect the power whilst you are swapping the batteries.
Yeah I've done this before - jump cables from another vehicle connected to the terminals?

Had mixed results really, I also read somewhere it could cause another issue with the complicated circuits but I can't remember the specifics now

·
Registered
270 Posts

Thanks again!

Disconnected the battery many times on all my Ceed's never had to reset anything........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks again!

Disconnected the battery many times on all my Ceed's never had to reset anything........
Oh really? That's reassuring - upto what year(s)? Apparently it only gets a bit more complicated on the new shape ones, post 2013 I think ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
On my Mondeo I fitted a new battery using a battery charger on trickle connected to the two leads. Just make sure you do not earth the wrong one!!!

This saved me having to re code the radio and the ECU to relearn whatever it does.
I shall do this for my Piccanto when it requires anew battery - only 8 years old so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, indeed I've recently purchased my first ever Kia and so far I love it! It's a 2015 Pro Cee'd 1.6 CRDI 128BHP.

Only issue I have had so far (and from what I've read it's a common one) is that the ISG so far hadn't worked once.. Thought I may as well bite the bullet and invested in a new battery, a Bosch S5 A08 70AH/760CCA AGM.

I've replaced many a battery before, but I've got a few questions before I procee'd (pun intended..)..

Is the radio going to lock me out once the old battery is removed? Most nowadays won't have an issue unless they're removed entirely, but can anyone tell me exactly what to expect, if anything?

Apparently other items may need to be reset after a battery disconnect, I.e power windows, automatic climate control etc, any ideas?

And lastly, a question regarding AGM/start-stop batteries in general..

I borrowed a battery charger to make sure the battery is fully topped up prior to install, but then read that only proper AGM chargers should be used or the battery could suffer damage, is this true? It makes sense really..

I'm now using a 0.8Amp trickle charger to try and bring it upto being full.. 12 hours in and not a bit of difference ? I reckon it'll be ready by Christmas at this rate!

Many thanks!
I've had my 2014 C'eed GDi 1.6 from new, and I love it, best car I've owned, much better than my previous new VW Polo for reliability. After 6 years starting can be slow so I may replace the battery soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts