Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry people, It's not behind a paywall for me and I'm not a subscriber either?
I posted it because there are a lot of unknowns about the future (unless you're a clairvoyant) and I felt as a motoring forum there may be a lot of interest especially amongst those members who generally buy their vehicles 2nd hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry people, It's not behind a paywall for me and I'm not a subscriber either?
I posted it because there are a lot of unknowns about the future (unless you're a clairvoyant) and I felt as a motoring forum there may be a lot of interest especially amongst those members who generally buy their vehicles 2nd hand.
There is interest but what do YOU think after reading the article ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is interest but what do YOU think after reading the article ?
I don't have a particular view given that I am unlikely to to have more than one new car in my motoring lifetime. It may be my current ICE will see me out but if not I would buy a full EV either brand new or ex demo.
As I said there are probably many drivers who buy 2nd hand and would like to be aware of any potential pitfalls. It's just the same with buying an ICE 2nd hand.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Telegraph must be short of newsworthy articles at the moment.

This particular article was first published in November 2018 so am troubled about how up to date it is and why the Telegraph is regurgitating 4 year old narrative.

I'm not going anywhere near these E/hybrid vehicles anytime soon so will bury my head just like Jaguar are allegedly doing :)

Reactions: AlanH

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Plenty of 10 year old leaf's still running around. (y)

Only thing that would be a worry to me personally. Would be high mileage EV, as that implies more charging. Which if a lot are DC charging can have a greater effect on the battery.
Then again the bigger the battery, the less degradation will be a problem.

With manufactures offering 7 or 8 year warranties. Clearly they do not expect a issue

·
Registered
847 Posts
All of the posts ,anywhere, on this topic are like a piece of elastic. There is no ONE answer because everyone drives differently be it ICE, EV, LPG, whatever. I have a nearly 3 year old E-Niro (MY20). In winter my 100% "range" might be 250-260 if I'm lucky. The WLTP range for my car, new, is 282. My last 2 journeys have been 30 miles each on rural roads, climate control going faster than me, and my Kia connect reading this morning using solar PV & Zappi is:- As iooi says, 7 or 8 years warranty. Not many engines get that AND need annual maintenance.
Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's true iooi but how much battery range compared with new? The batteries in them will be 'old' tech and they didn't have the range of modern EVs to start with. But for tootling around town and to the shops etc. they are no doubt still perfectly satisfactory. Horses for courses as they say.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Only thing that would be a worry to me personally. Would be high mileage EV, as that implies more charging. Which if a lot are DC charging can have a greater effect on the battery.
Then again the bigger the battery, the less degradation will be a problem.

With manufactures offering 7 or 8 year warranties. Clearly they do not expect a issue
And the Prius has been around a bit longer and no issues there either.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
326 Posts
Since the Telegraph article is blocked by a "log in" I'll assume the usual FUD that you might expect.
For an ordinary "bloke's" perspective I think the Youtube link below would be more useful for learning about progress in battery technology and battery-management. It's not so much that EVs haven't thrown off the early days bad stories, it's the fact that the fossil lobby ensure that old news keeps being exhumed and circulated in the name of "things they never told you about" etc.

EVM: Electric Car Batteries! Myth Busting & How Long Will They Last?

Some graphics which he referred to (Tesla are not only good at the game, but their cars return status to "big brother", so they have excellent stats on degradation)
Tesla %range vs. lifetime mileage

For a good in depth geeky version of why batteries are not an Achilles heel of EVs
Will EV battery packs last as long as the car itself? | Plug Life Television Episode 2

Now I'm jumping to a conclusion about what the Telegraph article contains, but I suspect it is the higher-brow version of the sort of dross you might expect from the Mail or Express: "oh look a bogeyman", "they're out to get you", "stuff and nonsense!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since the Telegraph article is blocked by a "log in" I'll assume the usual FUD that you might expect.
For an ordinary "bloke's" perspective I think the Youtube link below would be more useful for learning about progress in battery technology and battery-management. It's not so much that EVs haven't thrown off the early days bad stories, it's the fact that the fossil lobby ensure that old news keeps being exhumed and circulated in the name of "things they never told you about" etc.

EVM: Electric Car Batteries! Myth Busting & How Long Will They Last?

Some graphics which he referred to (Tesla are not only good at the game, but their cars return status to "big brother", so they have excellent stats on degradation)
Tesla %range vs. lifetime mileage

For a good in depth geeky version of why batteries are not an Achilles heel of EVs
Will EV battery packs last as long as the car itself? | Plug Life Television Episode 2

Now I'm jumping to a conclusion about what the Telegraph article contains, but I suspect it is the higher-brow version of the sort of dross you might expect from the Mail or Express: "oh look a bogeyman", "they're out to get you", "stuff and nonsense!"
Excellent sources of info - many thanks.

Reactions: RobinB
1 - 14 of 14 Posts