Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my sportage since Feb 2020 and am happy with it apart from the battery keeps going flat.
The first time was in the first lock down in later April 2020, the car had not been used for 10 days and was only showing 1.7 volts.
I could only get a Halfords AGM 115 battery as all the other places were shut. This worked well for a few months till the winter and then I had to jump start the car every 4 or 5 days. This battery was changed by Halfords after 1 year and 6 days. Since then the replacement battery had done the same and I'm now jump starting it every few days.
I looked at the boot light and that is going out and all the interior lights are to, I've checked with my meter and there's a drain of around .5 amp.
When I pull the memory fuse for the radio etc it drops to around .028 amps, but this also cuts out the central locking so the car can not be locked .
I've read on here in some of the posts about the isg convertor unit maybe faulty. Now were is it on the car as I want to unplug it to see if that drops the amps drain.
For the record I'm a retired forklift engineer with over 35 years finding my way around lpg/ diesel trucks, but this has confused me.

Super Moderator
Something to bear in mind is Kia's have acc systems powered on after car is turned off for around 5 mins. Which will also kick into life if you unlock or open a door etc.
So you could be looking at usb or 12V port if anything is plugged in.

Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
Check the 12v plug in the rear luggage area for water ingress causing corrosion and tracking on the plugs/contacts. Check that all earths and battery connections are bright and shiny (clean with an abrasive paper, wire brush or emery cloth/tape).

Registered
We had the same on our car when it was new. We went through 3 batteries in the space of a year! Turned out to be the bonnet switch. Whilst it wasn't showing as open (not sure it does) it stopped the car going to sleep / kept waking it up and thus draining the battery. If we went away for a week, we'd come back and it would be dead.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the last two replies, I'm going to check out the bonnet switch and the rear socket. Plus I've started to sort out a remote charging point for a trickle charger.
I did pop into the local dealer and checked with them on any issues. Was a waste of time, they said book it in for a check costing 拢132 :cautious:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts