Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hooked up the clamp meter to the negative side of the battery (no access to the positive side) to measure the current draw.

Car locked.

Main earth lead to body - 186ma
Small lead from battery negative terminal - 24ma

Car unlocked.

Main earth lead to body - 100ma
Small lead from battery negative terminal - 32ma

This is a very rought measurement but it will show if there is any large draw from the battery, to do this accurately a multimeter connected in line with the battery and body will give the correct reading (do not turn on or start the car with this connected)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a case of elimination, systematically work round the removal of fuses, obviously starting where you suspect the issue. Nothing complicated really and surprised the dealer had issue with it. Just a bit time consuming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Over my 4 years of ownership I have had various issues of drain on electrics. Early days dealer said I need to keep key away from car as it always searches for it and never sleeps. So got the little blocker bag. Otherwise needed a lead lined box buried in the garden. There was still an appreciable drain. dealer could never find the cause, no surprise there then. Cause of the lumpy tickover can’t be found either. Anyway my friend is a good techie and works for Rac. He said there is a drain but could not trace it. In a week of non use the car battery will be flat. Battery health is good so Kia would not replace, this was inside the 2 year warranty. Anyway I bought a trickle charger and when not using a lot and in the winter I charge it monthly. This has not solved the drain problem but it keeps the car running ok.
This is disappointing to hear, you really expect more from a big manufacturer. What a shame!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hooked up the clamp meter to the negative side of the battery (no access to the positive side) to measure the current draw.

Car locked.

Main earth lead to body - 186ma
Small lead from battery negative terminal - 24ma

Car unlocked.

Main earth lead to body - 100ma
Small lead from battery negative terminal - 32ma
Klippie thanks for looking at this for me! I expected these kind of numbers so that's both reassuring that normal values are possible and worrying because they're 20 times smaller than the value I have.

@sshooie Thanks for the tip but that was the process I did initially to find out it was in the multimedia circuit. I'm going to book in for a software update as I've read so many people on here doing that and it fixing a battery drain issue, although I personally really doubt it's this.

I haven't had a go at removing the head unit yet, I had a search around for disassembly instructions and had no luck(n)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts