Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bit the bullet today and decided to replace the AGM battery in my Optima at 51 months. After having to use my jump-starter with increasing frequency of late, I just got fed up with the potential for further aggravation and bought a Bosch model with its 5-year warranty.

Had I been thinking of selling or part-exing the car in the near future, I would probably have removed the battery and put it on a smart charge for 48 hours and I suspect that would have seen me through the summer. Having to street park some distance from my home though, I can't charge the battery in situ with a cable trailing across the pavement.

These lengthy lockdowns have taken their toll on many car batteries from what I have read, not much of a problem for those with parking adjacent to their property but an expensive PITA for those forced to street park. That said, as I have never had to expend any significant money on my Optima since new, I wasn't too perturbed about paying out for the battery. I have to say that it is many years since I have had to replace a battery in my own car and my previous experience has been that 6-8 years of useful life has been typical in my hands.

It took less than 15 minutes to swap the batteries, including testing the charging system output, and I used my memory saver which is a useful tool, though not essential. Curiously, it does not save the trip meter reading but at least there was no problem with radio code, instrument panel warning lamps or the infotainment system.

I'm a little disappointed at the rather premature demise of the battery but it has been heavily used in my hands; lots of hand and seat warming, climate, lights and so on. After my next lengthy drive, I expect the ISS will start making a nuisance of itself again so I shall have to remember to switch it off at each start-up.

Costs to date: Pre-paid 5-year service plan £609.00 (one remaining)
Wiper blade set - £20.00....ish
VED (years 2/3/4). £90.00
Fuel @ 43 mpg average. £whatever?
All Season Tyres x2 £300.....ish
Battery £175.00
SW Update (1). £25.00
Cabin filter (2nd service extra) £32.00
Cabin filter (self-fit @ 4years) £13.00....ish
Depreciation £probably loads!
Insurance £whatever

The wipers and tyres still had quite a bit of life in them but I chose to replace them early. The car has been totally reliable apart from the recent failing battery so I'm happy with the costs. I really can't knock the Optima Sportswagon as it is very roomy, has lots of luggage space, adequate performance, decent, measured fuel economy and a pretty comprehensive array of gadgets and gizmos, including a first-class sound system.

I don't know how much longer the £30.00 pa VED will continue but at my time in life, maybe I should just hang on to the car? To replace with something as competent and well-equipped would cost a lot of dosh and I have no doubt that the government will continue their pursuit of full-electric cars which, as time passes, will cost just as much to run, if not more, in taxes, duty and in electricity. There are no free lunches so good luck to those early adopters who are enjoying the best of it at the moment but be assured, it won't last.

By way of an addendum, today, not unexpectedly, my ISS functioned when I had to pull up at a temporary traffic light after about 2.5 miles. On my return journey, I had no need to stop so there was no further action from the system. With the approaching warmer weather and possibly more frequent driving than over the last year or so, I expect that I shall be pressing the 'off' button as part of my start-up regime. Hey ho!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had mine or 3.5 years now and currently feel happy enough with all it offers to keep it for many more yet. I might consider selling it as it approaches the end of warranty period, say with 3 - 6 month remaining, if that would help it sell.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Shame the Optima was dropped in the UK, the new generation looks very good. But, SUVs and Crossovers seem to rule the roost nowadays. And that pattern is reflected in the raft of new BEVs being introduced, understandable I suppose from the manufacturers' point of view. I think I'll have to wait at least five years before they work their way through all the niches down to humble BEV saloons or estates. And they will be fearsomely expensive, so I'm inclined to save my money and hang on to my Proceed for a while yet, even as its warranty expires this year. Better the devil you know, and all that!

Regards your battery, my OEM battery died a couple years ago, but that was diagnosed as an intermittent failed cell rather than being 'life expired'. I'm sure I read (must have been on here) that there was possibly a dodgy batch of batteries installed at at least one KIA factory.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm inclined to save my money and hang on to my Proceed for a while yet, even as its warranty expires this year. Better the devil you know, and all that!
Your thoughts rather reflect my own on the diminishing choice of body styles as carmakers rationalise their range while seeking to electrify all models. Before I purchased my current estate car, I traipsed round a lot of car showrooms looking for a replacement for my previous estate car but was invariably directed towards medium sized and large SUVs by the sales staff.

For a variety of reasons, I'm not fond of SUVs but the Germans still like their estate cars and Peugeot and Volvo have always done large estate cars. Unfortunately, both the Merc and the Volvo dealers in Bishops Stortford rather p'd me off as they had a serious attitude problem and when I asked about options, 30K cars suddenly became 40K!

Conscious of local dealerships for servicing and any necessary warranty work, I restricted the area that I was prepared to travel for a dealer. Out of the blue, I discovered that KIA had started shipping the estate version of their Optima into the country in mid 2016 and when I visited the nearest KIA dealer, they had one! I was offered a test drive there and then. As a result, I found that it was very similar to my Hyundai i40 Tourer but even better equipped! Using CarWow, I was able to get a substantial discount (elsewhere) and suddenly I was the owner of a large estate car with even more gadgets and gizmos than I had asked about as options in the Mercedes and Volvo outlets.

I shall keep my options open for a replacement car but at this moment, nothing particularly floats my boat so I shall wait till an ongoing house move is completed before deciding what to do - the place I'm hoping to move into has an electrical installation as the current owner drives a Tesla so that may alter my thinking.

I'm afraid, much as I like Audi, BMW and Mercedes estate cars, I don't care for the upkeep costs that accompany them. Besides, I prefer a car with indicators!😄

It was a shame that my Optima battery expired prematurely but I'm sure the replacement will be good for several years as the alternator is pushing out plenty of juice and I cannot trace any current leakage around the car.

I hope your motoring costs are as economical as mine have been over the last 4.5 years and that is one reason why I'd like to find something in the KIA line-up that allows me to stay with the brand.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
"Besides, I prefer a car with indicators!😄" Audi, BMW and Mercedes have just made all of their "highly experienced technicians!" who fit indicators redundant.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
I hope your motoring costs are as economical as mine have been over the last 4.5 years and that is one reason why I'd like to find something in the KIA line-up that allows me to stay with the brand.
Yeah, pretty much the same expenses as you; new battery (!), wiper blades (I probably replace them too often, I'm fussy like that), pollen filters, Michelin CrossClimates all round. I've had it just over three years, and I would have expected to have added 60k by now, but with WFH and lockdowns it's only been 40k. So it feels like I've extended my ownership by one year for minimal outlay and without pushing the mileage to the wrong side of 80k. And of course it's nice to have a car still in warranty, even in it's seventh year.

Reactions: Indalo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts