Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Now that my fishing is curtailed again, not by Boris but by there being no tackle shops open within 30 miles, my Sporty will no longer be being used. QUESTION, I have a small charger, that I use on my partners Swift,which works very well, can I use it to keep Sporties battery charged? TIA.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,434 Posts
If you are just trying to keep the battery in good condition, absolutely, yes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine does, so I'm assuming that your Sportage has an AGM battery. In which case the charger will need to be suitable for charging this type of battery... many older chargers do not have an AGM charging mode.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Mine does, so I'm assuming that your Sportage has an AGM battery. In which case the charger will need to be suitable for charging this type of battery... many older chargers do not have an AGM charging mode.
Agree that a charger designed for AGM will be better, but not essential. An old style charger will not achieve absolutely full charge with an AGM battery but it will be fine for trickle charging. - I would use whatever I have rather than spend on a new one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Should I have to disconnect the battery when using a 2amp trickle charger in order to keep the battery in good condition during these long days of non use??

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
There is no good reason to disconnect the battery for 2A charging. It's better to leave the battery connected so you will not lose any settings and avoids the (small) risk of spiking the supply when you reconnect.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is no good reason to disconnect the battery for 2A charging. It's better to leave the battery connected so you will not lose any settings and avoids the (small) risk of spiking the supply when you reconnect.
Many thanks for your prompt reply(y)

Reactions: kia62

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just how long are you planning on not using the car for - surely it would cope with 2-3 weeks of no use without the battery dying? If it can't, you either have a fault somewhere, or the battery is on it's last legs anyway and should be changed before you get stranded somewhere. You can always just go the long way to Tesco's once a week...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who replied. I'm pretty confident the battery will hold up for quite a while, but I don't think the car will be used again until early April. With no long journeys permissable under current lockdown, we just use my partners Swift for the trip to the shops and as a side issue I had to use the charger on the Swift because all the short journeys took the battery right down. I remember the first lockdown last year the Sporty was laid up for several weeks with no I'll effects to the battery. All I needed to know was that if the charger I have was suitable, to which end all the answers were positive, thank you.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. I'm pretty confident the battery will hold up for quite a while, but I don't think the car will be used again until early April. With no long journeys permissable under current lockdown, we just use my partners Swift for the trip to the shops and as a side issue I had to use the charger on the Swift because all the short journeys took the battery right down. I remember the first lockdown last year the Sporty was laid up for several weeks with no I'll effects to the battery. All I needed to know was that if the charger I have was suitable, to which end all the answers were positive, thank you.
Saw a vid on you tube about how to connect a charger to the Neg side of the battery that has a sensor on it..dont connect it direct to the battery terminal but follow the cable to the body earth point and contact the chargers negative battery cable to that..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just how long are you planning on not using the car for - surely it would cope with 2-3 weeks of no use without the battery dying? If it can't, you either have a fault somewhere, or the battery is on it's last legs anyway and should be changed before you get stranded somewhere. You can always just go the long way to Tesco's once a week...
Thanks for that but the car due to the lockdowns and vulnerable Mrs has hardly been used for almost a year now and just wanted to give the battery a bit of a boost as can't justify any reasonable journeys as all ness shops etc are only within a couple of miles.:)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
There is a great deal more to maintaining the health of your car than the battery. It really needs a run (with aircon on) of at least 20 minutes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is a great deal more to maintaining the health of your car than the battery. It really needs a run (with aircon on) of at least 20 minutes.
So aware of that and apart from the very short journeys that have been taken, I have allowed the car to run for 20mins or so with the aircon on about once a fortnight. Always have the aircon on full time anyway but thanks anyway.;)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Not so good to idle an engine from start. You manual advises to drive off immediately. Also Idling will not stir up gearbox and differnetial oils, equalise tyre flatspots, clean rust from brake discs, and excercise all sorts of greased suspension parts. If you really cannot drive it for 20 minutes then you are probably doing the best you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts