Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
KIA Niro 2020 HEV - DynamicPlusLine
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery charge indicator/gauge in the dash screen.
Is there any possibility that it will get EMPTY?
Or, the system will maintain the minimum amount by converting the gas?

I can see on my car, it's pretty low, like 30% or so. And I have never hit full, the most probably 60-70%.

My car is 2020 HEV.

Auto part Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Vehicle

Super Moderator
Mine goes between just under half to 1 section short of full. 2020 HEV "4"

You really need decent hills (lucky I have plenty) that allow regen to fill the battery up. It should never get to empty.

Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
The battery charge indicator/gauge in the dash screen.
Is there any possibility that it will get EMPTY?
Or, the system will maintain the minimum amount by converting the gas?

I can see on my car, it's pretty low, like 30% or so. And I have never hit full, the most probably 60-70%.

My car is 2020 HEV.

View attachment 13048
My MY18 HEV rarely goes above 3/4 and has never dropped below 1/4.

Registered
Only time I have seen it below 1/4 was when towing the caravan up some of the hills on the A30 down in Cornwall.
I regularly see mine at more than 90%, but it is hilly around here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine goes between just under half to 1 section short of full. 2020 HEV "4"

You really need decent hills (lucky I have plenty) that allow regen to fill the battery up. It should never get to empty.
Well, living in the flattest country in Europe, hill is pretty much very rare :D
I have tried using regen, doing as much as coasting, but that's about it.

Once in a while, every two years or so, I usually go overseas and leave my car for 4 weeks.
I have never had any problem with the old ICE car, leaving 4 weeks doesn't empty the car battery.

How will it be with Kia Niro hybrid (HEV)? Is that the battery which would keep the car alive? Or is there any other battery?

Super Moderator
No it's the 12V battery that keeps car alive.
But as yours is a 2020 are you like me that we do not have a actual old fashioned 12V battery, but have the battery reset switch which will use Hybrid battery to get things going.

Car Vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Registered
I recently gave my car for a service I have noticed that the battery change indicator never gets above 70% . I have driven car normally up and down motoways for several hours and in town so I asked for this to be checked .
I have been advised by garage that "This is normal and the charge indicator will never go above 70% " I am a little shocked about this has anyone else been advised the same ? Why have a indicator scaled like this when I put in petrol petrol guage reads full so why not the electirc guage too!

Registered
MY21 Niro 4 HEV, Pearl White
I've had my HEV for 7 months now and it has never gone any higher than about 75% or below 20%. I assumed that it was to save the life of the battery as I have read somewhere that to maintain the life of a battery is should not be charged over 80% or below 20%. Don't know if this correct.

Super Moderator
I've merged #7 & #8 into this thread as it covers the same subject.

Just to show you can fill up the HEV battery (this is the highest mine will go) as recuperation is disabled at that point.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long will the 12V battery last if you don't use the car? From full to fully depleted.

Is there any way to know if this 12V battery is on full capacity?

Super Moderator
Do you have the connect app? As that shows 12V battery status.
But if your car is one without the normal 12V battery it is not a issue as you have the 12V reset button as per # 6 which will charge it back up.

As a guide daughters picanto has gone a month without being started or a run and still fires up OK.
If you are leaving it longer than that there is the fuse switch in fuse box by your knee that you can flip (see manual for info on that)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.