Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to my now locked previous thread, I notice someone said there was not a recall. there is mine was recalled and the nut tightened but they think the damage had started before the recall, someone else said it was only 2 posters that had trouble with this fault, maybe the 3 other owners with the same fault standing in line with mine are not forum members. I called into the garage last Friday and they are waiting for an engine ( yes, a new engine to the know it all that said they will rebuild mine )but there is not 1 in the UK so the car will be off the road for another 4 to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad to see they are replacing the engine, gutting for you that you have to wait, shocked the local garage to you had at least 4 as you said customer vehicles with the same issue, they should have raised a big red flag to Kia UK....

The recall is not likely to be on all the vehicles of that model but more likely to be tied to certain criteria. EG date of manufacture range, if there is a production line problem.

but I'm not a moderator on this site but lets not let this thread go down the route of name calling and shitty posts as this topic is very much valid and needed for everybody's information...and would be a shame if it gets closed.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
but I'm not a moderator on this site but lets not let this thread go down the route of name calling and shitty posts as this topic is very much valid and needed for everybody's information...and would be a shame if it gets closed.
Exactly :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just had my Picanto in for it's Service at Arnold Clark Aberdeen and while I waited had a chat with the Service Manager. We were just chewing the fat and I was mentioning I was a member of this Forum and the various issues we are having (my Picanto has had the dragging brakes since day one. I'm waiting for them to get a Pedal Assy in). I mentioned the Mild Hybrid Sportage engine issues and he said they have one in with a broken engine and awaiting guidance from Kia.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have a look on facebook kia sportage owners page, there seems to be quite a few cases on there, don't know how many are same people as on here though

·
Registered
22 Posts
They may well be fitting a new engine but the tensioner is, at the time of writing this, the same unmodified part and runs the risk of failing again in exactly the way yours already has.

Most of the parts have gone on to back order including new crank shells should a rebuild be possible.

Your engine was clearly damaged beyond repair and I would be very suprised if your turbo and gearbox have not suffered long term damage, Still, what does a know it all like me know.........

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look on facebook kia sportage owners page, there seems to be quite a few cases on there, don't know how many are same people as on here though
They may well be fitting a new engine but the tensioner is, at the time of writing this, the same unmodified part and runs the risk of failing again in exactly the way yours already has.

Most of the parts have gone on to back order including new crank shells should a rebuild be possible.

Your engine was clearly damaged beyond repair and I would be very suprised if your turbo and gearbox have not suffered long term damage, Still, what does a know it all like me know.........

I can't honestly be bothered to answer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Further to my now locked previous thread, I notice someone said there was not a recall. there is mine was recalled and the nut tightened but they think the damage had started before the recall, someone else said it was only 2 posters that had trouble with this fault, maybe the 3 other owners with the same fault standing in line with mine are not forum members. I called into the garage last Friday and they are waiting for an engine ( yes, a new engine to the know it all that said they will rebuild mine )but there is not 1 in the UK so the car will be off the road for another 4 to 6 weeks.
There is a recall, I put it on previous thread to inform the interested, (and for the cynics). It was issued June 2020.
As you will probably know by now that my car is a 20 plate UK registered RHD 1.6 CRDi 48v Mild Hybrid.
I gave Kia my VIN number and they said it needs to go in to a dealer for the crankshaft pulley to be checked. Although we are all supposed to have had notification of this from the dealer and my car was in a Kia dealer on the 26/30th June nothing was said or done, which does not surprise me at all of this particular bum main agent.
In reply to the email from Kia I asked about the the probable fault that is being experienced by some with the belt tensioner and they wrote that they have no knowledge of this on their data base. Also surprisingly, they have do not have any direct contact with Kia technical department to enquire or discuss such things so obviously it's on a need to know basis.

·
Registered
117 Posts
GBGraham, use the UK dvla mot check site and that shows any outstanding recalls on the searched vehicle.

as i commented above, it may not effect every vehicle of that plate and model.

·
Registered
60 Posts
GBGraham, use the UK dvla mot check site and that shows any outstanding recalls on the searched vehicle.

as i commented above, it may not effect every vehicle of that plate and model.
In #8 I stated "Although we are all supposed to have had notification of this from the dealer" which came from my email from Kia, so I'm presuming they are not going to bother with the DVLA.
Either they don't care too much about the problem, the customer or their just keeping it low key for whatever reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Suspect keeping it low key is the route Kia are choosing, just like most manufactures do, until it gets to a point when they cannot hide it any longer, most recent examples I can think of is Ford and Vauxhall when the Kuga and zafira's started catching fire..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not quite a Bang but mind started grinding, warning light came on. Pulled over called RAC. Eventually turned up. Plugs in reader, it flashes warning do not start engine. Taken away on low loader back to dealer who suspect crankshaft pulley belt problem, on holiday at the moment so briefly spoke on phone and they stated they needed to sort out long term plan. If it is what they think it is it’s a full strip down and go from there. They did state Kia are fully aware of this problem and that parts needed are like rocking horse s**t.
car had been in for recall in July in relation to crankcase bolt issue. My issue will be if they just replace parts with same or indeed a whole new engine if nothing as changed it’s likely to go again.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I insisted on a new engine and gearbox, have been told today that it may be 12 weeks before I get it back, solicitors appointment on Monday to try and force them to give me a new car which I will trade in for something else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not quite a Bang but mind started grinding, warning light came on. Pulled over called RAC. Eventually turned up. Plugs in reader, it flashes warning do not start engine. Taken away on low loader back to dealer who suspect crankshaft pulley belt problem, on holiday at the moment so briefly spoke on phone and they stated they needed to sort out long term plan. If it is what they think it is it’s a full strip down and go from there. They did state Kia are fully aware of this problem and that parts needed are like rocking horse s**t.
car had been in for recall in July in relation to crankcase bolt issue. My issue will be if they just replace parts with same or indeed a whole new engine if nothing as changed it’s likely to go again.
This is a very worrying situation regarding this engine of which some on here are/have being/been in total denial at worst and definitely working on the theory if they don't know about it the likelihood it doesn't exist, even with the recall being out there since June.

Yes, we are probably at the moment talking very low percentages but the only place we are hearing information on the issue is on this site which is an even smaller percentage and in this only increases the numbers.

I now believe with it becoming quite evident that there is a problem with this engine and by the sounds of it, no modified or redesigned parts to redress this defect issue.
I think Kia are being very cagey over this issue, probably to the point of deceitfulness.

#cojo states "They did state Kia are fully aware of this problem and that parts needed are like rocking horse s**t"
#1kerbut states "I insisted on a new engine and gearbox, have been told today that it may be 12 weeks before I get it back"
I can only sympathise with you guys having these issues and good luck with your dealings. I do hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Kia CC told me the only issue was the check on the crankshaft pulley, now it's looking as though I haven't been told the true facts.
Obviously there does seem to be more to the situation and they need to come clean and be straight with their customers.
Though I won't be holding my breath!

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RAC should provide you with a Europcar for 3 days and after that, the dealer is duty bound to carry on the rental and claim it back from Kia . let's hope they provide you with something better than the Vauxhall Mokka I have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The crankshaft pulley service action is a pathetic attempt by Kia to prevent engine damage when the drive belt tensioner fails but from what I've seen its simply not effective.We have seen fatally damaged engines with mileages as low as 2,500.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
I think Kia are being very cagey over this issue, probably to the point of deceitfulness.
Can I remind everyone to keep this factual and to the point.

If your dealer is not telling you it could be that the person you are speaking to is not fully aware of the known problem. Not a uncommon issue with any company.

Who is Kia CC ?

#cojo states "They did state Kia are fully aware of this problem and that parts needed are like rocking horse s**t"
So Kia are aware of the issue and are working on it.

These will never be a overnight fix as they need to examine the blown engines to find out exactly what the issue is and then create a resolution.
Could be as simple as a manufacturing fault on a certain batch of parts used in the engines to a total design flaw (unlikely as we would see far more) But until Kia have a outcome of any investigation then it is a painful waiting game.

Simply chucking a new engine in, while it seems to be a quick fix, is not the answer. As that engine may have the same problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.