Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So ive had my kia sportage 3 weeks. So far so good. Gave it its first wash yesterday (been busy with birth of son and a slipped disc otherwise it would have been done sooner lol) and i noticed the car has had the n/s rear door re sprayed. That doesn't really bother me although it is annoying but i guess even new cars have minor paint correction. My gripe is the laquer is peeling around the door handle. This does bother me and if id known i wouldn't have purchased the car. Now as with these things you only notice this sort of thing when you wash it.
Again not bothered about the re sprayed panal but where do i stand in terms of getting the laquer peel fixed as it's only going to get worse and now i know its there it stands out like a sore thumb.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped it off this evening they are going to take photos then get in contact with kia uk. She kept going on about me not taking the smart repair package lol i can see where this is going.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What's this 'smart repair package' Guess it was a point of sale option with a hefty bit of commission going to the salesperson. What did it offer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it was a paint and wheel repair package. 18 claims over 3 years. Does scratches upto 30 cm and any damage to wheel's. I think it was £599... ouchy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dropped it off this evening they are going to take photos then get in contact with kia uk. She kept going on about me not taking the smart repair package lol i can see where this is going.
I can't help but suspect that if you had actually taken out the smart repair package then she would have pointed out that this couldn't be used to cover damage that existed before you owned the vehicle!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would be surprised if Kia UK would do anything about it. Sounds like a poor Repair Job and not related to Warranty.
I would imagine it has taken the 'shine' off your new (to you) Car. You may be able to reject it.

My current Car, I bought in the Rain. First wash and realised the entire Passenger side had a badly repaired scrape.
3 Years later, it still annoys me.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it has sort of taken the shine off it although to be fair you really have to know its there to notice it. Having said that it does need sorting at its not the point. Collected it this morning and I need to speak to the sales manager when lock down has ended and he will try and sort it. I dare say he will get a local body shop to do a proper repair on it but not holding my breath

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
The repair package is a total irrelevancy. That is to cover the cost of damage arising from accidental damage. You car was not of acceptable quality when you bought it. KIA dealership with full warranty = it's their problem

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I should add it was bought at a kia dealership. 66 plate with full warranty.
It sounds to me that, under the terms of the KIA warranty, the vehicle did not in fact meet KIA's specifications with regard to merchantable quality. The selling dealer needs to address the matter in conjunction with KIA UK to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
92 Posts
It sounds to me that, under the terms of the KIA warranty, the vehicle did not in fact meet KIA's specifications with regard to merchantable quality. The selling dealer needs to address the matter in conjunction with KIA UK to your satisfaction.
More interestingly if it has had a repair it would be a sound idea to find out when it was done and where it was repaired. What's it got to do with Kia UK, unless it's brand new car (which I can't tell from the OP's post) I can't see why they need to be involved, surely it's between the dealer and the customer and in my mind a creditable complaint.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I can't see why they need to be involved, surely it's between the dealer and the customer and in my mind a creditable complaint.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

The matter concerns KIA UK in so far as an agent of the parent company, an appointed, franchised dealer, inspected the vehicle and declared it suitable for inclusion as a KIA Approved vehicle. KIA UK own the rights to that scheme and it is not something solely the province of any individual KIA dealer.

Once designated as a KIA Approved vehicle, the warranty becomes as per a new car - 7years, etc. The dealer clearly did not examine the said vehicle forensically or the problem would have been spotted. However, the bottom line is that the dealer must rectify the situation for the customer and attempt to claim his costs from KIA which is not something that affects the customer.

What does affect the customer is that he has been mis-sold a KIA Approved vehicle by a KIA dealer and is therefore entitled to seek redress. Either the dealer plays ball or the customer can take legal action against both the dealer and KIA UK, the company providing the warranty.

I would expect that the dealer will play ball, provide a good resolution for the dissatisfied customer and the matter will end there. If the dealership were to seek payment from KIA UK for restorative work, I would expect them to receive short shrift and to be reminded that their lucrative franchise arrangements could be removed very quickly!

Unless I have misunderstood the OP, that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. To be honest when you put it that way it's bang out of order that they have sold this car. I dare say they did know about the damage and just waited for someone to not notice at the time i was struggling (and still am) with severe back pain due to a slipped disc so i prob wasn't in the best frame of mind to look over the car. I'll give them two options. They repair the car to my standard or i swap it for another car similar age and mileage etc. I work bloody hard for my money and i feel I've been ripped off. I went to this dealer because it had brilliant reviews and with it been a kia i thought i can't really go wrong. How wrong was i.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

The matter concerns KIA UK in so far as an agent of the parent company, an appointed, franchised dealer, inspected the vehicle and declared it suitable for inclusion as a KIA Approved vehicle. KIA UK own the rights to that scheme and it is not something solely the province of any individual KIA dealer.

Once designated as a KIA Approved vehicle, the warranty becomes as per a new car - 7years, etc. The dealer clearly did not examine the said vehicle forensically or the problem would have been spotted. However, the bottom line is that the dealer must rectify the situation for the customer and attempt to claim his costs from KIA which is not something that affects the customer.

What does affect the customer is that he has been mis-sold a KIA Approved vehicle by a KIA dealer and is therefore entitled to seek redress. Either the dealer plays ball or the customer can take legal action against both the dealer and KIA UK, the company providing the warranty.

I would expect that the dealer will play ball, provide a good resolution for the dissatisfied customer and the matter will end there. If the dealership were to seek payment from KIA UK for restorative work, I would expect them to receive short shrift and to be reminded that their lucrative franchise arrangements could be removed very quickly!

Unless I have misunderstood the OP, that's the way I see it.
That's why I asked the question of why Kia was involved not realising that dealerships are so beholden to Kia, but I suppose they should not be classed as dealers but agents. Is there no independent Kia dealerships out there that can operate freely? I must be showing my age, I have no idea how these modern franchises work these days!
Even so why would an agent involve Kia on a pre sales balls up that looks very obvious that the agent is going to have to rectify, at the end of the day it will make the agent look at least inept.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
That's why I asked the question of why Kia was involved not realising that dealerships are so beholden to Kia, but I suppose they should not be classed as dealers but agents. Is there no independent Kia dealerships out there that can operate freely? I must be showing my age, I have no idea how these modern franchises work these days!
Even so why would an agent involve Kia on a pre sales balls up that looks very obvious that the agent is going to have to rectify, at the end of the day it will make the agent look at least inept.
I think the issue (bit of a side one as well), as normal consumer rights should cover this. Is that it was a "Kia Approved" car Which covers..
Hand picked by Kia
Kia Approved Used cars are hand-picked according to stringent requirements. All are less than 20 months old and have covered less than 20,000 miles. So, rest assured your Kia Approved Used car is still in prime condition.
Vehicle Inspection Checklist
All Kia Approved used cars have undertaken a multi-point check and are tested and certificated by a qualified Kia Technician before you drive away.
Perfect mechanical condition
Every Kia Approved Used car comes with a full service history, completed by qualified Kia Technicians and thoroughly valeted to the highest standards, making it look and feel like a brand new car.
So it should have been picked up by the dealer when checking the car, either pre (often no work is done on a car till it's sold) or after sale.

As to the franchise situation. If the OP did not get a satisfactory outcome. It would be interesting to see what Kia UK (not KCS here) would do. As their ultimate power would be to strip the dealer of the franchise.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Is there no independent Kia dealerships out there that can operate freely?
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one KIA outlet operated by the KIA company in the UK but that is irrelevant in the OP's case.

Quite simply, franchised dealers should not be selling cars under the 'KIA Approved' banner unless they genuinely match the specification laid down by KIA. Such behaviour, sadly, harks back to a time when car sales staff were mostly of the 'Arthur Daley' variety but old habits die hard, and even though the motor trade has made efforts to clean up its act, there are still cheats and liars among their number.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one KIA outlet operated by the KIA company in the UK but that is irrelevant in the OP's case.

Quite simply, franchised dealers should not be selling cars under the 'KIA Approved' banner unless they genuinely match the specification laid down by KIA. Such behaviour, sadly, harks back to a time when car sales staff were mostly of the 'Arthur Daley' variety but old habits die hard, and even though the motor trade has made efforts to clean up its act, there are still cheats and liars among their number.
I been retired from the motor trade for around thirteen years, although I should have remembered that things where starting to alter in the main dealer side of the small independents, the manufacturers where becoming so demanding.
One thing I mainly remember was that the main dealers were terrible payers and were always on stop and that was with allowing three months credit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts