Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just seen a 2" wide by about 8" long strip of clear plastic on the outside of each of my back doors on the lower part of the door. Sure they must have been missed from when the car was delivered but dont want to try peeling them of in case I damage the paintwork. Sure they are not meant to be there?? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't peel them off! they are there to protect the paintwork from stone chips - they all have them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOPS Thanks spoke to dealer he said the same

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took mine off the first week, when dirty they made the car look crap. 6 months on - not a stone chip to be seen! I have not even fitted mud flaps yet. I'm not saying you should do this but I think the 'protection' is a bit hyped and perhaps the longer they are left the more difficult they might be to remove without damage and possible discolouration.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No don't take them off. They are there for a reason and are on lots of other cars. That area is prone to stone chips. By removing them you could give the impression that the car has had paintwork done and they were taken off during the "respray". Think about it !

·
Registered
455 Posts
These protection strips were not fitted to the First Edition models and I think it was a while before they were fitted to the subsequent models but not sure when they started fitting them, I picked up my FEin Sept 2010 and no stone chips so far. I think there is more chance of damage on unmade/gravel roads, I just take it easy on these, i even had a couple of roads with the dreaded chippings when the roads had been resurfaced the cheap way and no probs i did fit mudflaps though

·
Registered
291 Posts
kiaman said:
These protection strips were not fitted to the First Edition models and I think it was a while before they were fitted to the subsequent models but not sure when they started fitting them, I picked up my FEin Sept 2010 and no stone chips so far. I think there is more chance of damage on unmade/gravel roads, I just take it easy on these, i even had a couple of roads with the dreaded chippings when the roads had been resurfaced the cheap way and no probs i did fit mudflaps though
They are fitted to my Dec 2010 kx2 so would think they should be fitted to all.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not fitted to my First Edition either. No chips so far but I do have mudflaps and running boards.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Whether or not you need them probably depends on where you live and the state of the roads. I'm not taking them off and I'm considering fitting some running boards to protect the sides of the car further. That area of the car seems to take a real hammering from thrown up muck.

I'm just off out to wash it off... again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts