Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello been driving 4 years, and I backed into a wall and this happened.

I have been quoted over £500 to fit it, it all superficial, lights and everything work. Can't afford £500 plus at the moment.

I have seen plastic clips, on ebay that would fit my car, it worth getting them and getting someone to fit it for me?

My car has it first MOT this year and I don't want to claim on insurance.. also I know nothing about cars. Anyone give me any advice please?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did they say what work they would be doing for £500 ? Eg new bumper, respraying, replacing brackets ? If not I'd ask them (or take it to another bodyshop place and ask them for a quote and ask them what needs doing).

Is there any obvious damage to the 'clips' along the bumper edge ? Will the bumper push back to close the gap ? Are there any slight crease marks on the lower left part of the bumper (where it may have been pushed into the mounting bracket and deformed slightly) ? From looking at the workshop manual there's a bracket that fixes to the bumper that houses some of these clips (the section nearest the wheel in your photo - the other clips are part of the bumper moulding) and could be replaced - see REAR BUMPER HOLDER BRACKET LEFT N/S FOR KIA PICANTO 11-17 | eBay

There are 10 bolts holding the bumper on (5 each side). You have to take the rear light out (2 screws) to get to 2 of them and the rear wheel arch guard (5 screws) to get to another. The other 2 fix it to the main mounting bracket under the car. You may be lucky and find that you can just take the light and wheel arch guard out, loosen the 3 screws and realign the bumper, but it may need the bracket replacing or more.

If it was me I'd be looking to do the above to see the extent of the damage and hence whether you could fix it 'yourself' before paying £500, but accept you need someone who's handy with a spanner/screwdriver.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Different car I know but my Sportage was gently rear ended at traffic lights. Could see no damage to either car apart from a small nick in the paintwork. I had my foot on the brake but only gently and the car did not move forwards at all.

Underneath the bumper is a crosswise crash structure made of Glass reinforced plastic. It had cracks in it. It is mounted at each end on two concertina crush structures, both of which were crushed. The rear bumper looked fine but upon removasl it was found to be broken Car loked fine and drove fine but it's crashworthiness was majorly compromised.

Modern plastic body parts are very forgiving and spring back into shape apparently undamaged. The structural work is done by bits you cannot easily see from the outside.

Did your quote detail what was to be dome for this money? Just clipping it all together is nowhere near £500

1 - 4 of 4 Posts