Kia Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 21 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody fitted one of these black ABS type bumper guards to protect the top edge of the rear bumper as you put things in and out of the boot. I regularly lift a lawnmower in the back of mine and think it’s only a matter of time until it gets scratched. I’ve attached a picture of one I have found on the net but does anybody have any recommendations please. Car is a 2018 model. There seems to be a couple of options and I have attached below

·
Registered
528 Posts
there are a few options availible including a chrome version i think they are all fixed with double sided tape, the other train of thought is not to fit one now, live with the scratches and fit one just before you sell to tidy it up. im not sure what the tape would do to the paint work if you had to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
You can also get boot mats that have a fold out protector, keep your boot floor clean as well as the protecting the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
You can also get boot mats that have a fold out protector, keep your boot floor clean as well as the protecting the bumper.

I would 2nd that option. The worry with the other options is on a old car getting a good surface for it to stick to, & stay stuck. As well as if it gets damaged it is not going to look good. Some of them will be very thin (given the kia cost I guess that one) as such may end up just going through to the bumper...

Something like this. We have these as seat covers for the dogs. Good quality

Or if you have some carpet off cuts in the loft :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would 2nd that option. The worry with the other options is on a old car getting a good surface for it to stick to, & stay stuck. As well as if it gets damaged it is not going to look good. Some of them will be very thin (given the kia cost I guess that one) as such may end up just going through to the bumper...

Something like this. We have these as seat covers for the dogs. Good quality

Or if you have some carpet off cuts in the loft :)
it’s hardly an old car........ it’s not quite 3 years old. Anyway thanks for the advice but has anyone actually bought one of these guards at all ? And if so what do you think. Especially interested in the proper Kia one

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
it’s hardly an old car........ it’s not quite 3 years old.
Age is more related to all the stuff that will have got on the bumper (wax & other chemicals) and actually being to fully clean it off to get a good surface for the part to stick too (y)

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
Now it’s finally stopped raining and a bit warmer I have fitted the rear bumper guard. Pleased with the results
mobility scooter

Is it a good thickness?
As lifting a mobility scooter is starting to get a bit risky.

Did you go for the one in your 1st post?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mobility scooter

Is it a good thickness?
As lifting a mobility scooter is starting to get a bit risky.

Did you go for the one in your 1st post?
Yes it’s the RGM one, it’s in carbon fibre look as they didn’t have the plain plastic in stock at the time. Yes it’s probably 2mm thick and feels sturdy when handling it.
Easy to fit, just test fit it and put some tape to mark the ends. Clean the area with the alcohol wipe in the kit, peel some backing tape off and re-align it, peel the rest of while pushing it down and it’s done. 10 mins max

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yes it’s the RGM one, it’s in carbon fibre look as they didn’t have the plain plastic in stock at the time. Yes it’s probably 2mm thick and feels sturdy when handling it.
Easy to fit, just test fit it and put some tape to mark the ends. Clean the area with the alcohol wipe in the kit, peel some backing tape off and re-align it, peel the rest of while pushing it down and it’s done. 10 mins max
Exactly as I did .. all comes with it and as you say its easy to fit.... now I'm in a bit of a quandary.. do I dont I because I do have to use a wheel chair for hospital appointments..😏

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Dam they do not do one for 2020 Niro....

Oh well will just have to be carefull..
Not yet anyway.. but there is a foil available at the mo..

Still cheaper Johh than a chips away repair

1 - 21 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.