Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been KIA less for 8 months, have just bought an 04 1.8 Carens auto. My last Carens, a Y reg 1.8 manual did 35 mpg. Any ideas on what I should expect from the auto? I am curious as I won't be using it until I sell my SAAB! Final question, where can I buy a blank service book? The car has done only 15000 and never been serviced and it will be nice to have a proper record of my ownership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, brain begins to work again; have ordered book and new key(ouch) from my local agent, Picadilly, in Ripon. Spares were most helpful, good sign! Cheers Jim W

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Jim, Have been running a 03 reg Carens SE Auto since new, great motor but rubbish on MPG, so had mine converted to LPG when still under warranty, not looked back since. Was hard pushed to manage in the low 20s on the local runs, and your 35 was hard to get on a really good run. Hope you get better, but just in case, remember LPG. Cheers Gasman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Jim, The gas system I had fitted is a 'Prinns Multi-point Sequential System', considered to be the best available, all up it cost me £1,500, but that was a few years ago. I have spoken to my installer who informs me that the cost now is about the same !!!!!!, see http://www.hiltonautogas.co.uk/index.htmlfor details.
You need to factor in the fact that once installed, your road tax will fall by two stages, i.e., will cost less to tax. Plus your engine will run cleaner and last longer, with little in the way of harmful emissions, to (if you go with it) damage the environment, but more importantly for your wallet, to damage your exhaust system, e.t.c.

I've saved thousands of £s over the years I've had it fitted, L.P.G., around here is about 50p a litre, (pump price), though I only pay 36p a litre for mine, (its a deal with my supplier). Sit down & do the maths, 1 litre of petrol at £1-12.9 x 4.546 (litres in a gall) = £5-13 a gall, L.P.G. 1 litre of gas a 36p x 4.546 (litres in a gall) = £1.64...............therefore I can buy nearly 3 and a quarter gall of gas for the cost of one gall of petrol.

The car performs better on gas than petrol, runs smoother, picks up better & is more responsive. Power loss with gas used to be about 10% with the old systems, but with a new, properly fitted system is none existent, your power is there all the time.

If you do decide to look into it, beware cowboy company's, go for the best............any questions please ask.

Cheers Gasman

PS. Forgot to say, that in my case the tank, called a doughnut, is fitted into the spare wheel well. You could carry your spare loose in the back, or carry instant tyre repair kits as I do. Only had one puncture, a bolt through the bottom of a tyre & out the side wall, but the kit worked well, sealed it and I was able to drive to the tyre repair centre.

Edited by: Gasgokia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts