Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting post and replies from Kia-Forums...

Hi guys, Does anyone know if the AWD system on the 2011
sportage will suffer from transmission wind up the
same as previous AWD systems ie; if your tires are worn say 50% all round and
you had a non repairable flat on one wheel which resulted in the tire being
replaced would you have to replace the opposite tire on the same axle so the
diameters of the wheels would be the same so as not to cause wind up in the
transmission. When i had my Nissan Navara I was told by the dealer that the
diameters of the wheels had to be roughly the same or in AWD it could cause wind
up and destroy the transmission, so I was wondering if the Dynamax system
prevented this.

i think thats why the car kicks out of the 4x4 lock mode at a
certain speed . to prevent wind up

yeah but on AWD it can be powering all four wheels at any speed
depending on conditions without it being in lock mode ie; very wet or snowy
roads so would you get wind up in these circumstances. I also notice in the hand
book the tire pressures are the same for all 4 wheels is this due to wind up
prevention?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More replies :-

I used to own an X5 back in '02 and it's AWD system was always active. My dealer nor my manual (to my recollection) ever stated that I would tear up my tranny because of (let's say 3/4 of an inch) variation in wheels. Sounds to me that Nissan needs to install better hardware in their vehicles... But think of it this way - Kia (in the US) has a 10yr 100K mile powertrain warrany. I doubt they would outsource to a pretty well known company to build poor parts that they would have to end up replacing during that warranty period ($$$$ loss)<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">*************************************

Have heard of this "potential" problem before, as my wife drives a Subaru Impreza AWD. We have been advised by their service department to only rotate tyres front to back and replacement any aggressively worn tyres as an "axle pair" to avoid this happening. Will be running this query past my Kia service department when I next book in. I'll let you all know of their "opinion."

·
Registered
197 Posts
Transmission wind-up is likely to occur on any 4WD without a central diff if the system is locked/engaged and the surface grip is good (regardless of tyre wear). The dynamax system is pretty smart but I don't see how it can overcome this - which is why the 4WD lock button de-selects above about 20 MPH.

I can see the sense in matching tyre wear on the same axle (for all types of car) and I'm sure that if you had a serious difference between axles AND locked the 4WD AND had good grip, wind-up would occur quite quickly - but why would you drive like that? Provided one wheel is slipping, the wind-up will dissipate.

This is my 8th 4WD and in all that time I've only experienced wind-up once and that was on a Series 2 Landrover when I left the 4WD engaged on a good surface. It did no damage but the kick-back in the steering was a very good wake-up call!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts