Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Awaiting delivery

6K views 70 replies 8 participants last post by  Goatwidcoat 
#1 ·
Hey all. First post here. Anyone else waiting delivery of Stinger or new Kia? On positive note I ordered mine in March and just 3 months later got word that it had been built already! Was originally told it would be 6 months and then they said over a year (into Q1 2023 at least) so was surprised. However, reckon the EVs have more issues with component supply. Expected delivery to dealer early August. Was bit perturbed that dealer didn't seem to know anything about car location or tracking when I know that that is standard knowledge. Anyway, used to work in shipping industry for years so I know about vessel tracking. If anyone else interested in tracking their vehicle then let me know and we can post here. Figured out mine left Pyeongtaek 25-06, docked at Kwangyang and now on way to Ulsan (all S Korea of course). Due there today. From there about 12k mile voyage through Suez etc so shall be interesting. Will see how many European ports hit before Immingham / Tilbury. Would love to hear feedback from members who've been through all this. Thank you!

#2 ·
Well so far 143 views and no replies. Posted a week ago. So much for interactive and helpful forum. I guess people are suffering from post-pandemic blues. Mind you I caught bad dose of covid just a fortnight ago so I can definitely say covid is still alive and kicking. Good luck to everyone who ordered a new Kia. I also found the Dealer really unhelpful regarding tracking new vehicle. Was only informed approx delivery date, just can't get information about when it was shipped , where from, and on which vessel. Seems very strange to me. Most other manufacturers, you can track the vehicle location. Cheers

#3 ·
To be fair. Given you asked about other Kia's had you looked through other section you would have noticed. I guess not many people are ordering Stingers now.

Not everyone reads every thread. In fact even as a MOD I can't keep up with all the threads. Hence why I've only just noticed this.

Dealers only get any update when car has started build process & VIN is provided. Prior to that they have no idea. Given Stinger is manufactured in Korea. Once it starts build process you will be looking at around 3 months to get to you.

#4 ·
In my original I mentioned "or new Kia" to cover all cars. My point was that 143 read it but didn't write anything, so they were aware of post. Thanks for feedback anyway. I was already told approx date of arrival which is first week of August. My car was ordered March and it will be here 4.5 months later so all round very quick compared to what many others experiencing especially EVs. I myself have figured out vehicle is on one of two vehicle carriers. Carrier is EUKOR and you can just type into their site and do a search. Of course Dealer can't be bothered to do a bit of proactive investigation. I figured it out in a couple of hours of online work. Some salesmen doing job for 30 years still have no idea. I use 2 other sites to track these 2 possible vessels. These are things I'd be doing as a dealer or salesman to help out customer and make the buying experience more positive and informative. Hey but that's me. Different standards.

#5 ·
Car will be going to Immingham if that helps to narrow down which ship. As Kia have a depot there. They do PDI etc there & then dispatch to your dealer. (y)

#6 ·
Thank you iooi. I didnt realise PDI would be done there, assumed it would be dealer themselves. Having seen some YT videos on car loading and unloading on these ro-ros i was a bit concerned about how they drive new cars as yet still to break in engine etc. I suspected it would be Immingham and was on my shortlist of 3. Should narrow it down then to Auto Achieve which was a brand new car carrier only built one week prior to maiden voyage. I noticed how busy the ports were around S Korea and it had to anchor there and await berth etc. It also visited several Korean ports, almost like a full tour of country. Currently en route to Singapore and due there on 7th July. Needs to get through some pirate territory prior to that. I assume from there it will be heading to Suez Canal but unsure of which other European ports prior to UK. I'll check vessel tracker sites. I don't subscribe there so have to wait until it leaves previous port or get the "noon report" for vessel coordinates. Anyway its fun to track it and I've learned a few things in the process.

#8 ·
Since I sold both of the Stingers I had (2018 and 2020 Models) I am not on the forums very much but still pop in from time to time to see what's happening on the Stinger side of the forum,

Do the Stingers now not require the "engine Breaking In as such" now, when I had mine the advice in the manual was to keep the revs of the engine below a certain level until the car had done X amount of miles (can't remember the exact figures now).

One other quick thing, is the service schedule still 6 monthly in the UK (Could never understand why it was only the UK that had this service schedule)

Although I don't now have a Stinger - It still holds a special place in my heart as one of the best cars I ever owned 🧡

Regards

Phil

#9 · (Edited)
Petrol 6 month or 10K Opps 6K
Diesel 12 month or 10K

Did not realise you still had running in on these. None of our Kia's have had this. Same with a previous Chevvy.

Thanks (y)

Hope you are enjoying your new car :)

#10 ·
Petrol 6 month or 10K
Diesel 12 month or 10K

Did not realise you still had running in on these. None of our Kia's have had this. Same with a previous Chevvy.

Thanks (y)

Hope you are enjoying your new car :)
The petrol is 6 month or 6k. Complete and utter overkill but it is not a bad thing for the engine and the only way I guess they would warrant an engine like this for 7 years/100k miles. None of the high performance Germans come close to offering that. Fortunately servicing costs are very reasonable on a car like this.

It will be worth the wait Remolino. Had mine just over 18 months and 23k miles in and other than the fuel bills on the 3.3 I love it. Don't ever want to get rid.

#18 ·
Just tracked the vessel there and I can see it left Singapore and next port of call is DJPOD which is actually Djibouti but that's just at mouth of Red Sea on the way up to Egypt (Suez Canal). Due in Djibouti 17th July. Making good progress and believe it's on schedule. Still looks on course for early August delivery all going well. Very exciting and what fun it is to track the vessel your new car is being transported on! Don't know yet what other ports there will be between Suez and England. I suspect it must be stopping elsewhere in Europe, Germany perhaps?

#24 · (Edited)
The ISA Speed Limit thing is not as bad as I thought it would be.
In its default mode, the speed in the heads up display goes orange and then red, the speed limit sign flashes.
There is no bonging or beeping.

I can see how this could be useful in some circumstances.

You can stop the colour changing in the HUD.
Flashing limit appears again after time.

Press Settings

Gadget Vehicle Plant Automotive mirror Communication Device

Press Vehicle
Vehicle Plant Communication Device Gadget Motor vehicle

Press Head-up display
Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive design Font Personal luxury car

Press Content Selection
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

Un-check Traffic Signs
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Communication Device Font

#28 ·
The ISA Speed Limit thing is not as bad as I thought it would be.
In its default mode, the speed in the heads up display goes orange and then red, the speed limit sign flashes.
There is no bonging or beeping.

I can see how this could be useful in some circumstances.

You can stop all the flashing and colour changing, and this persists across restarts.

Press Settings

View attachment 16424

Press Vehicle
View attachment 16425

Press Head-up display
View attachment 16426

Press Content Selection
View attachment 16428

Un-check Traffic Signs
View attachment 16429
Superb info, I'll use that thanks!!

#31 ·
Back to my impending delivery, just wanted to ask if anyone had an opinion or knowledge about battery life of new car while being transported? I'm talking about a petrol Stinger obviously. So, I worked out that my car will have been on a vessel for best part of 6 weeks and i was conparing that against the general advice that roadside assistance give which is that you should keep your battery going by driving daily or at worse every week. We leave our cars at airport before 2 week holiday (hypothetical of course) and hope it will start when we return. Do they give batteries a charge up when doing PDI in Immingham when it comes off ship? Just interested to know. Wouldn't want to receive car with a compromised and weaker battery.

#32 ·
@Remolino - not the same car I know, but we went on holiday to Australia & New Zealand in Febuary/March 2018. Our 2017 Sportage sat on our drive for just over 7 weeks without being touched. You may recall that the winter of 2018 the UK was hit by the 'Beast From The East', one of the worst winters in recent years. The day after we got back I jumped in the car and it started first time and continued to perform perfectly all right, until we changed the car in 2020.

#34 · (Edited)
That's good to know. One of the other family cars, a vw polo, had issues with battery but that was a car that was lying around unused a lot. Got stuck at a roundabout when battery went dead. Got a jump start but driving for 30 minutes not sufficient to get life into it properly so ended up having to get new battery with aa roadside.

#35 ·
Good advice. I personally don't tend to use stop-start when engine has just started and is warming up. I only switch back on when oil temperature reached. Just think its pointless to disengage engine when it is trying to warm up. I'll look into what type of battery the Stinger uses. You'd think with all the accessories in the car that it'd be a chunky one. I know when I had my German built Focus ST3 it had a very powerful battery

#36 ·
Vessel now should be passing Sri Lanka and southern tip of India heading towards Arabian Sea. Glad those cars are inside and not baking on exposed upper decks. Mind you, whole journey from Korea is running past sweltering hot countries and must be fairly hot below deck. I saw the documentary while back of how Kia test the resilience of their automotive parts in Death Valley California for days. So I reckon they have this covered 🤔

#37 ·
Vessel anchored off Djibouti, Gulf of Aden. Heading for Suez Canal soon, due there July 22.
I can see on Eukor schedule that it's due in Immingham on Aug 4th. No idea what ports lie between Suez and England on its journey. At least it got through the worst of the danger spots in terms of pirates.

#38 ·
So, after having been told few weeks ago that car had been built and would arrive early August I received a call today telling me that car has not even been shipped yet!!!! So, basically I've been tracking a vessel that doesn't carry the car. Just unbelievable. Every time you call it's the same story "I'll ask the manager". What system is the manager looking at that the salesmen apparently dont have. We're in 2022. Drastically need to improve the communication between supplier, dealer and customer. Everything in the world now has a barcode on it. Why can't they even track a whole car weighing nearly 2 tons properly? Just pathetic. Absolutely livid. Now I'm being told it's "late September". So car was built weeks and weeks ago and it's just going to sit around for months in baking heat. Should get a discount

#41 ·
Got a chassis number from dealer so definitely has been built. Still scheduled for delivery late September but no specific date or any information around shipping. Was told that Kia allocated 1,000 Stingers to UK so potentially this may be the wind down as model comes to end of life cycle, not sure.

So, back to intriguing world of vessel tracking. Narrowed down to 2 possible ships. Thruxton which is currently in Korea and eventually headed for Immingham in September, or Morning Catherine which is moored off China East Coast and eventually headed for Southampton in September.

Dealer told me they are only informed when vehicle has arrived in UK, that's all. So that means the vessel tracking is down to me. Still surprised they have a chassis number and can't be notified, or recorded on system somewhere, that car has actually left Korea on a ship. We scan our barcoded food at supermarket checkout but we don't know where £45k built car is haha. Strange world. Ho hum onwards and upwards 😀

#43 · (Edited)
I've narrowed my transportation vessel to the Morning Catherine which leaves Korea tomorrow Sunday 14th and looks like it's a more or less 4 week trip direct to the Kia logistics centre in Immingham. That's a very quick trip compared to others, some being 6 to 8 weeks in total. I was given ETA by dealer as "end September" so that'd be about right because I know it takes a couple of weeks to get through queue of cars awaiting PDI and on to transporter from Grimsby to dealer.

OldYorkie your car may possibly be on that one, although your delivery date is about one month after ship docks which is a bit off, but I used to work in shipping and will try to get schedule of other vessels for you that might equate to your date 11th October. PDI and logistics can take 3 or more weeks so yours might be there as well. Ships leave Korea to UK quite regularly but to various other ports including down in London and Southampton but they also handle Hyundai.

#44 ·
Well I tracked the vessel I believe the car, and potentially others on this site, is on and it has just left South Korea today with destination Suez Canal due to arrive there Sep 2nd. Here we go again! This is a much more direct route than usual, skipping all other Korean ports. So that's about 19 days to reach Suez/Egypt. Hope the car was covered up for past 2 months sitting at port in baking heat. Do they test Kia cars to withstand our lovely British winters hmm I wonder? I know they test the parts in Death Valley USA but again that's about extreme high temperatures rather than extreme lows and road salt etc. Anyways let's see how the voyage to Immingham goes. Feel free to comment and join me on this adventure! I know you're out there lol 😆

#45 ·
I’m interested to join you on this adventure. It does sound like my Stinger might be in the next shipment rather than this one but who knows. Already having a perfectly good Stinger I’m not in a rush, I just wanted to get another before production ends.
Fingers crossed for you that yours is on this ship! I’ll look for updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.