Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. First post here. Anyone else waiting delivery of Stinger or new Kia? On positive note I ordered mine in March and just 3 months later got word that it had been built already! Was originally told it would be 6 months and then they said over a year (into Q1 2023 at least) so was surprised. However, reckon the EVs have more issues with component supply. Expected delivery to dealer early August. Was bit perturbed that dealer didn't seem to know anything about car location or tracking when I know that that is standard knowledge. Anyway, used to work in shipping industry for years so I know about vessel tracking. If anyone else interested in tracking their vehicle then let me know and we can post here. Figured out mine left Pyeongtaek 25-06, docked at Kwangyang and now on way to Ulsan (all S Korea of course). Due there today. From there about 12k mile voyage through Suez etc so shall be interesting. Will see how many European ports hit before Immingham / Tilbury. Would love to hear feedback from members who've been through all this. Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well so far 143 views and no replies. Posted a week ago. So much for interactive and helpful forum. I guess people are suffering from post-pandemic blues. Mind you I caught bad dose of covid just a fortnight ago so I can definitely say covid is still alive and kicking. Good luck to everyone who ordered a new Kia. I also found the Dealer really unhelpful regarding tracking new vehicle. Was only informed approx delivery date, just can't get information about when it was shipped , where from, and on which vessel. Seems very strange to me. Most other manufacturers, you can track the vehicle location. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Well so far 143 views and no replies. Posted a week ago. So much for interactive and helpful forum. I guess people are suffering from post-pandemic blues. Mind you I caught bad dose of covid just a fortnight ago so I can definitely say covid is still alive and kicking. Good luck to everyone who ordered a new Kia. I also found the Dealer really unhelpful regarding tracking new vehicle. Was only informed approx delivery date, just can't get information about when it was shipped , where from, and on which vessel. Seems very strange to me. Most other manufacturers, you can track the vehicle location. Cheers
To be fair. Given you asked about other Kia's had you looked through other section you would have noticed. I guess not many people are ordering Stingers now.

Not everyone reads every thread. In fact even as a MOD I can't keep up with all the threads. Hence why I've only just noticed this.

Dealers only get any update when car has started build process & VIN is provided. Prior to that they have no idea. Given Stinger is manufactured in Korea. Once it starts build process you will be looking at around 3 months to get to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my original I mentioned "or new Kia" to cover all cars. My point was that 143 read it but didn't write anything, so they were aware of post. Thanks for feedback anyway. I was already told approx date of arrival which is first week of August. My car was ordered March and it will be here 4.5 months later so all round very quick compared to what many others experiencing especially EVs. I myself have figured out vehicle is on one of two vehicle carriers. Carrier is EUKOR and you can just type into their site and do a search. Of course Dealer can't be bothered to do a bit of proactive investigation. I figured it out in a couple of hours of online work. Some salesmen doing job for 30 years still have no idea. I use 2 other sites to track these 2 possible vessels. These are things I'd be doing as a dealer or salesman to help out customer and make the buying experience more positive and informative. Hey but that's me. Different standards.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Car will be going to Immingham if that helps to narrow down which ship. As Kia have a depot there. They do PDI etc there & then dispatch to your dealer. (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you iooi. I didnt realise PDI would be done there, assumed it would be dealer themselves. Having seen some YT videos on car loading and unloading on these ro-ros i was a bit concerned about how they drive new cars as yet still to break in engine etc. I suspected it would be Immingham and was on my shortlist of 3. Should narrow it down then to Auto Achieve which was a brand new car carrier only built one week prior to maiden voyage. I noticed how busy the ports were around S Korea and it had to anchor there and await berth etc. It also visited several Korean ports, almost like a full tour of country. Currently en route to Singapore and due there on 7th July. Needs to get through some pirate territory prior to that. I assume from there it will be heading to Suez Canal but unsure of which other European ports prior to UK. I'll check vessel tracker sites. I don't subscribe there so have to wait until it leaves previous port or get the "noon report" for vessel coordinates. Anyway its fun to track it and I've learned a few things in the process.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No engine breaking in required now. (y)
Since I sold both of the Stingers I had (2018 and 2020 Models) I am not on the forums very much but still pop in from time to time to see what's happening on the Stinger side of the forum,

Do the Stingers now not require the "engine Breaking In as such" now, when I had mine the advice in the manual was to keep the revs of the engine below a certain level until the car had done X amount of miles (can't remember the exact figures now).

One other quick thing, is the service schedule still 6 monthly in the UK (Could never understand why it was only the UK that had this service schedule)

Although I don't now have a Stinger - It still holds a special place in my heart as one of the best cars I ever owned 🧡

Regards

Phil

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Petrol 6 month or 10K Opps 6K
Diesel 12 month or 10K

Did not realise you still had running in on these. None of our Kia's have had this. Same with a previous Chevvy.

Thanks (y)

Hope you are enjoying your new car :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Petrol 6 month or 10K
Diesel 12 month or 10K

Did not realise you still had running in on these. None of our Kia's have had this. Same with a previous Chevvy.

Thanks (y)

Hope you are enjoying your new car :)
The petrol is 6 month or 6k. Complete and utter overkill but it is not a bad thing for the engine and the only way I guess they would warrant an engine like this for 7 years/100k miles. None of the high performance Germans come close to offering that. Fortunately servicing costs are very reasonable on a car like this.

It will be worth the wait Remolino. Had mine just over 18 months and 23k miles in and other than the fuel bills on the 3.3 I love it. Don't ever want to get rid.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ordered a Ceramic Grey one on January 6th.
With luck, I will take delivery in a week or so - dealer says it's in the UK now, and I have already received the registration from DVLA!

·
Registered
212 Posts
The petrol is 6 month or 6k. Complete and utter overkill but it is not a bad thing for the engine and the only way I guess they would warrant an engine like this for 7 years/100k miles. None of the high performance Germans come close to offering that. Fortunately servicing costs are very reasonable on a car like this.
Adopt the brace position for the 5th year service where they remove the rocker covers to check the valve clearances. But still not too bad if you average it all out over time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Adopt the brace position for the 5th year service where they remove the rocker covers to check the valve clearances. But still not too bad if you average it all out over time.
I still don't know why the charge so much for that 10th/5 year service. Valve clearances on the Honda Type R's are only £132 and that is through the main dealer so £700-£900 for the 10th service with Kia is mental when the only extra work appears to be the valve clearances. If it also included spark plugs that would make more sense but it doesn't.

Service plans are a bargain though. I bought services 7-10 for £719. When the cost of the 10th service alone can be more than the cost of this entire plan it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I sold both of the Stingers I had (2018 and 2020 Models) I am not on the forums very much but still pop in from time to time to see what's happening on the Stinger side of the forum,

Do the Stingers now not require the "engine Breaking In as such" now, when I had mine the advice in the manual was to keep the revs of the engine below a certain level until the car had done X amount of miles (can't remember the exact figures now).

One other quick thing, is the service schedule still 6 monthly in the UK (Could never understand why it was only the UK that had this service schedule)

Although I don't now have a Stinger - It still holds a special place in my heart as one of the best cars I ever owned 🧡

Regards

Phil
Thanks Phil, good to hear from a Stinger owner with a positive experience. I was lucky enough to test drive a Stinger GTS RWD V6 and was so impressed by the sumptuous interior, the endless tech including HUD, the smooth ride and responsive engine but most of all how utterly gorgeous it looks. Stopped for petrol and people were drooling.

It will be worth the wait Remolino. Had mine just over 18 months and 23k miles in and other than the fuel bills on the 3.3 I love it. Don't ever want to get rid.
Thank you so much, I'm very excited. Yes, I already purchased the extended service plan and am aware of the 7 year warranty and the 6k service interval. Will get the GAP insurance as well. Usually, with "running in" I tend to watch engine and oil temperature. Don't go above a certain rpm threshold until engine and ideally oil reached temperature. I cringe when I see people turn the ignition and literally immediately drive off, not even giving time for fluids to circulate etc. Many people have no clue about engineering. Was also told by both AA and RAC technician that you should wait few seconds for electrical diagnostics (the warning lamps all switch off) before fully engaging ignition and switch engine on. I've done that ever since, especially after leaving car for few days. Never had vehicle issues with following all above but its also driving style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered a Ceramic Grey one on January 6th.
With luck, I will take delivery in a week or so - dealer says it's in the UK now, and I have already received the registration from DVLA!
Fantastic news thanks for sharing. I can see the vessel mine is on is anchored in Singapore. Please post pics when your grey beauty arrives

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still don't know why the charge so much for that 10th/5 year service. Valve clearances on the Honda Type R's are only £132 and that is through the main dealer so £700-£900 for the 10th service with Kia is mental when the only extra work appears to be the valve clearances. If it also included spark plugs that would make more sense but it doesn't.

Service plans are a bargain though. I bought services 7-10 for £719. When the cost of the 10th service alone can be more than the cost of this entire plan it is a no brainer.
Thanks for sharing. I'll have a look at those future year service plans. Good to have heads up on valve clearance cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just tracked the vessel there and I can see it left Singapore and next port of call is DJPOD which is actually Djibouti but that's just at mouth of Red Sea on the way up to Egypt (Suez Canal). Due in Djibouti 17th July. Making good progress and believe it's on schedule. Still looks on course for early August delivery all going well. Very exciting and what fun it is to track the vessel your new car is being transported on! Don't know yet what other ports there will be between Suez and England. I suspect it must be stopping elsewhere in Europe, Germany perhaps?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Phil, good to hear from a Stinger owner with a positive experience. I was lucky enough to test drive a Stinger GTS RWD V6 and was so impressed by the sumptuous interior, the endless tech including HUD, the smooth ride and responsive engine but most of all how utterly gorgeous it looks. Stopped for petrol and people were drooling.

Thank you so much, I'm very excited. Yes, I already purchased the extended service plan and am aware of the 7 year warranty and the 6k service interval. Will get the GAP insurance as well. Usually, with "running in" I tend to watch engine and oil temperature. Don't go above a certain rpm threshold until engine and ideally oil reached temperature. I cringe when I see people turn the ignition and literally immediately drive off, not even giving time for fluids to circulate etc. Many people have no clue about engineering. Was also told by both AA and RAC technician that you should wait few seconds for electrical diagnostics (the warning lamps all switch off) before fully engaging ignition and switch engine on. I've done that ever since, especially after leaving car for few days. Never had vehicle issues with following all above but its also driving style.
I agree, I always let the car idle for around 30 seconds before setting off and before turning off every time. The Stinger takes roughly 10 minutes for oil to be up to temperature but the engine temperature guage tends to show as at temp within around 5 minutes. I always go off oil temp before booting it and keep it below 2-2.5k rpm up to this point.

I plan on keeping mine for as long as I can as there is no other car for the money, looks, price or tech that interests me so a bit of mechanical sympathy will go a long way long term.

Although I really really really want a V8 at some point in my life but the only problem is I already have a Honda Integra Type R (which I also never want to get rid of) as a second car and I would need to sell either this or the Stinger to be able to afford something like an E92 M3. That soundtrack is do die for even if the running costs are bank account emptying. The only other new car coming out I am remotely interested in is the new Honda Civic Type R. I am a petrol head but I get too attached to cars. I have no idea how people chop and change every 6 months to a year even if money wasn't an issue, although they are the lucky ones who then get to experience everything.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts