Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was travelling along the motorway and decided to check the avge speed reading against speedo. Set speed @ 70 in cruise control, reset average speed on display after 5 miles checked average speed which read 66mph. When I got off the motorway did comparison @ 50 + 60mph, the average speed read 3mph below on both. Which do you think is going to be more exact and has anybody else tried this or am I the only sadowho thought about doing this.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would be surprised if either are correct. My previous car (BMW) used to say I was cruising along at 80 and when I put the sat nav on (garmin) it would show I was doing about 74.
BTW today I did a 4 hour round trip in my 2.0 diesel AWD. The mileage is now over 500.
I drove a mixture of roads includingthe motorwaywhere I cruisedcruised at 80 exactly the same as the last car and averaged 41mpg on the entire trip. I never went over 2500 rpm as i'm running in.

The sat nav was brilliant and I was thrilled when it showed the junction info on the motorways...brilliant

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think car manufacturers set the odometer on the high side to avoid under recording a car's mileage. As a result the speed shows as faster than it actually is. Have you ever gone past a digital speed sign and not found it around 3 mph below your speedo reading? I suppose that means we could drive at 73 mph on the motorway. Don't try this at home etc etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've checked mine (2.0 CRDI KX3 Sat nav) against my tomtom and it is accurate to 1 MPH or better. I've tested at 30, 40, 60, 75 and 80.

My Mazda 6 Sport was around 10% higher than the tomtom at all speeds.

Just over 1k miles done and still loving my new "toy"

·
Registered
219 Posts
My understanding is that it is illegal to have a speedo reading below the correct value, so manufactures always err on the slightly higher side to keep the right side of the law. It may be that there is a specific figure for this set value, above the actual value: say around 5%

·
Registered
448 Posts
garynic said:
"I never went over 2500 rpm as i'm running in."Just wanted to ask is there any special instructions for running these cars in?
Cheers, Brian

Edited by: a9bnl

·
Registered
413 Posts
I set my own running in process with all new cars. However the official line is as follows

VEHICLE BREAK-IN PROCESS
A030000AUN
No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
""¢ Do not race the engine.
""¢ While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
""¢ Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to
properly break-in the engine.
""¢ Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly .
""¢ Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.
""¢ Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of operation.Edited by: garynic

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks garynic, that is very useful info and will keep it noted when i first drive mine, cheers Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts