Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Bought a Kia Sportage which was 11 months old with 13.000 miles on, soon as l bought the double clutch concerning automatic box had to be replaced but every now and again still get a slight judder should l be concerned.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Hi.
Bought a Kia Sportage which was 11 months old with 13.000 miles on, soon as l bought the double clutch concerning automatic box had to be replaced but every now and again still get a slight judder should l be concerned.
Hello (and welcome),

The DCT autobox isn't as smooth as a conventional fluid/torque converter automatic transmission and quite often there is some slight (or not so slight) judder.

It is a fairly common occurrence, particularly with the diesel engine versions. A recent thread on the subject is here:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi.
That’s bad for a box that new that it needed replacing. Assume it was fine under warranty?

i also have the DCT and mines been perfect up to now (just under 10k miles so far). Are these boxes on the whole fairly reliable? Does anyone on here have a car that’s done lots of miles without issue as it seems when you read about failures they all seem to be when car hasn’t done that many miles.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
i also have the DCT and mines been perfect up to now (just under 10k miles so far). Are these boxes on the whole fairly reliable?
It's probably worth remembering that many contributors to these pages are posting about problems with their cars. In many cases, the cars have been allowed to become non-compliant with the warranty terms and those owners post their disaster stories on here, hoping to discover a cheap fix rather than pay KIA's charges for investigation and repair.

While that's understandable, some go further and roundly condemn KIA, claiming that they never had any problems with their Audi/Merc/BMW/Land Rover/Jag etc..........which, if it were me, would see me continuing to own one of those 'prestige' brands. Conveniently, the statistics don't bear out the claims of ultra-reliability and fabulous dealer service expressed by those who post in that vein so perhaps the fault lies not with KIA but with the drivers?

Be that as may, I'm confident that DCT gearboxes are very reliable, most owners, like me, never having any problems with them. Longer term, I have no idea as I have only covered about 26K miles in mine and it continues to perform smoothly and reliably.

Most of the complaints that I have read in regard to DCT are similar to the complaints about CVT in various Japanese brands including Lexus. Generally, these complaints emanate from drivers who have never taken the trouble to learn and understand the operation and limitations of these forms of transmission. There remains an expectation from some that the only way to make rapid progress is through pedal-to-the-metal acceleration, in the case of CVT that creates the screaming engine revs until the belts have done their job. That phenomenon is exacerbated by countless motoring hacks who have complained about CVT ever since the days of DAF cars, preferring to pontificate about on-the-limit handling and 0-60, 30-50, acceleration times.......and 'the winner is the VAG car in this comparative test'!

If DCT or CVT were unreliable and/or caused difficulty in normal motoring, then no-one would have been buying cars so equipped over the years and they still sell in huge numbers worldwide. Even here in the UK, automatic cars are selling in greater numbers than ever before so I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not with DCT or CVT but with the drivers and a lack of understanding. It's also worth noting that traditional torque-convertor auto boxes are not entirely trouble-free either. While they have been improved over many decades, some occasionally cause problems.

Frankly, I don't mind which form of auto box is fitted to my next car, just so long as there are only two pedals!:)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
441 Posts
My DCT will judder at low revs and if in manual will often fail to change down a gear and flash up the EML for a while until you manually change it.
It seems to be a flaw in the system as it happened both on mine & two others I test drove - there was a mooted software update for it due to be made available but on my last trip to the dealer (in March) there was no update & my car was running latest versions - still doing it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Be interesting to know if there’s anyone with DCT etc on Sportages that are into the higher numbers like 60-70k to see if they are trouble free as well? Assuming the clutches wouldn’t wear as quickly? Considering there is two so only using each one half the time?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Having both a Kia and older Volkswagen DCT, I can say that the KIA unit is slower reacting, not as smooth and less predictable in it's behaviour.

The Sportage is perfectly drivable and I've learnt how to best use it, but the VW has the better gearbox.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Having both a Kia and older Volkswagen DCT, I can say that the KIA unit is slower reacting, not as smooth and less predictable in it's behaviour.

The Sportage is perfectly drivable and I've learnt how to best use it, but the VW has the better gearbox.
It’s the first car I’ve had with DCT so cannot compare with others but must say my car has never missed a beat. Gear changes are perfect and not clunky or anything. A slight bit of judder occasionally but apart from that it’s great.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
149 Posts
Done about 6000 miles in my 2019 Sportage dct since purchase las September - now on 15k miles - and starting up our drive just after buying the car, it juddered, especially on a very cold day. Reported it to Kia at service time so that it's on the 'notes' for future attention if needed, but it seems to have settled down and doesn't judder now. Towed a mate's 5.8 metre RIB for about 90 miles a couple of days ago and although the transmission heated up a bit when reversing/manouvering it uphill into his drive, no issues with the 'box. Dropped to 28mpg while towing, 38mpg 'solo' on lpg at 57.7p/litre at legal motorway speeds, so happy with that too.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
441 Posts

Couldn't agree more - had a DSG Yeti a while back and the gearbox on that was super smooth & quick shifting.
As said, nothing "wrong" with the Kia DCT but it's not a patch on VAG DSG or indeed the Mecedes double-clutch that I had on the last car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My Kia Ceed DCT is now over 55k miles and it still behaves as I expect it to behave. 99% cases no jerking. Only 1% cases where it jerked I think ECU pre-selected wrong gear which is quickly tried to rectify resulting in a jerk.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My Kia Ceed DCT is now over 55k miles and it still behaves as I expect it to behave. 99% cases no jerking. Only 1% cases where it jerked I think ECU pre-selected wrong gear which is quickly tried to rectify resulting in a jerk.
Good to know, thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts