Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had never had anything to do with Auto Boxes in my previous misspent youth,but dodgy knees forced me into autos nowadays.
Last October we had a lovely week on Skye/Raasay and returned to Perthshire the long way round via the Applecross Peninsula and the Bealach na Ba Road and then up to Gairloch before heading back south.
Anyway it was a warm day and parts of the B na B Road are quite hard work for an auto box (especially in a heavy lump like a Sportage CRDI) but very scenic and probably one of the prettiest routes in scotland.
Anyway the gear changes were getting a little 'snatchy' so I figured that the auto box was overheating slightly and decided that at some stage I would do at least a partial ATF Fluid change.
We have had the Sportage about 2 years and I must admit to never having done a proper 'by the book' Fluid Level check.
Today I finally got round to doing the partial oil change and managed to drain 3.74 Ltr out of the drain plug,I carefully measured the exact same amount of fresh ATF and refilled the slush box.
We then decided to take the Sporty for a 10 mile drive to a level layby to check the fluid level properly (cars are parked on slight slope at home),I could not get a consistent reading doing it by the book which seems to suggest leaving the engine idling in neutral,so I then stopped the engine and got a reading on the dipstick which was approx 6mm above the 'Hot' Full mark on dipstick (which seems reasonable to me).
We went for a walk in the sun down a wee Glen for 1 hour and on returning to the car I took another look at the level - it was now about 10mm above the 'Hot' Full mark which again seems reasonable to me as I assume the level will drop with the engine/pump running.
Any comments/advice from anybody regarding the Fluid Levels ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I even managed the job without making a mess :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Surely you should not be above the FULL mark at all? Your engine is hot so it should be AT the level - if it's above then you have over filled?

I've not looked at the autobox on mine but I've not seen a box with a dipstick on it before - usually you fill to the point where it starts to seep out of the filler hole - that's the level - you insert the plug and it's done

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for reply.
The older auto boxes almost always had a dipstick for filling/level checking.
I believe that the fluid level goes down with the engine running due to the Torque Converter etc filling/using the fluid as it pumps around the gearbox casing/internals/gears etc,but I was not 100% sure so I thought I would ask and see if anybody knows chapter and verse on slushboxes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh, I thought it was checked warm but with the gearbox in 'neutral'....I've just read the mk1 handbook and it does say 'park'?....learnt something today?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts