Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does any one know when to auto gearbox oil should be changed as I cannot find any reference any where, just trying to keep on top of the servicing ,the car is a 2016 Kia Sorento kx3 60000 miles.
Cheers john

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi John,

I was also interested in changing the oil of the gearbox. I saw that according to service plan in Bulgaria there is no maintenance planned.
The gearbox is shown as maintenance free. I am planning to keep the car for about ten yours(longer than warranty period) and I asked the service office for changing it.
The mechanic advised me to change it after the car is 5 years old and at least 80K km. I am intending to follow that and have the oil changed before the warranty is over.
There is no mandatory change according to the service plan so it is up to you to decide.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If gearbox is functioning OK with no problems and fluid is still Red colour no need to change. If fluid has turned Brown colour and has burnt smell then change. There is no recommended time scale to change only if having regular heavy duty use,ie towing heavy loads, then 80000 mls

Reactions: Indalo

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid is not meant to be changed unless you suspect a leak at which point you can top it up while you wait for it to be fixed.
It’s very different from your regular manual transmission lubricant.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As Birdman posted above - it depends on the usage of the car - just for normal driving the ATF should last at least 80,000 miles before deteriorating,but if the car is used for towing and or (say) on difficult or mountainous roads then it may benefit from an earlier change.
I changed the ATF on our Sportage at approx 85k after a long tortuous mountainous route on a hot day had overheated the ATF,colour changed from red to brown.

Reactions: fenegroni
1 - 5 of 5 Posts