Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello KIA CS

Should my 2017 (JA Type) Kia Picanto 2 automatic, require its automatic transmission fluid level topping up, can I safely use Millersoils Millermatic ATF SP3 WS fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid?

The JA Picanto Owners manual says SP3 fluid is the correct type to use but doesn't mention this product manufacturer (Millersoils) so I want to make sure.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi Kismet

As long as the lubricant classification matches that in your owner's manual, that's fine. We can't otherwise suggest other brands. We strongly recommend a dealer or other VAT registered garage fills and provides you with the lubricant classification on an invoice - see the other recent thread https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/46-kia-customer-support/53405-kia-dealership-not-service.html

FYI the Kia interval for your automatic transmission fluid is: Inspect and if necessary, top up - Every 4 years or 40,000 miles

Kia Customer Service
0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 6pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Kismet

As long as the lubricant classification matches that in your owner's manual, that's fine. We can't otherwise suggest other brands. We strongly recommend a dealer or other VAT registered garage fills and provides you with the lubricant classification on an invoice - see the other recent thread https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/46-kia-customer-support/53405-kia-dealership-not-service.html

FYI the Kia interval for your automatic transmission fluid is: Inspect and if necessary, top up - Every 4 years or 40,000 miles

Kia Customer Service
0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 6pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

Hello
Thanks for the reply. Can I just confirm/ask, as you say "Inspect and if necessary, top up - Every 4 years or 40,000 miles" does that mean that I myself probably don't need to bother checking the automatic transmission level on my Picanto, it only needs to be inspected & topped up only at those periods?
The car has only done 8000 miles/is 2 years old so presumably based on that I've got approx. 2 years or 32000 miles before it needs checking & that would be done at servicing time at the KIA dealer?
Sorry to query it, I just want to be absolutely sure.
Many thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi KIA CS can you please let me know concerning my final question.

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
If your car has a annual service. Then it should be checked in year 4 service given you are looking at not reaching the 40,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car has a annual service. Then it should be checked in year 4 service given you are looking at not reaching the 40,000 mile mark.

Thanks for that much appreciated.
I was just going off the owners manual that said check ATF level regularly but it looks like check regularly will just mean when the KIA dealer does it at service time.
I reckon I can hopefully stop worrying about that then :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
If there is an easy way to check the fluid level such as a dipstick why not do it on a regular basis. When dad had auto's it was something you would do when carry out the regular checks.

Then if its low pop to the Kia dealer and get them to top it up.

I can 100% guarantee that if you let the fluid run low and then get a gearbox failure Kia will refuse warranty cover. One of the T & C's of all warranties is owners carry out regular checks.

On the other hand if Kia have not provided a simple way for the owner to carry out checks they obviously think it unnecessary so just let them do it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there is an easy way to check the fluid level such as a dipstick why not do it on a regular basis. When dad had auto's it was something you would do when carry out the regular checks.

Then if its low pop to the Kia dealer and get them to top it up.

I can 100% guarantee that if you let the fluid run low and then get a gearbox failure Kia will refuse warranty cover. One of the T & C's of all warranties is owners carry out regular checks.

On the other hand if Kia have not provided a simple way for the owner to carry out checks they obviously think it unnecessary so just let them do it.

Mmm that's the thing there is a dipstick but I wanted to get some fluid myself just in case I need it if I do check it (to save mucking about going to a dealer). Then KIA CS say on my car it doesn't need to be checked until 4 years/40,000 miles anyway..
So which is it, am I supposed to bother checking the level myself or just leave it for the dealer as service time??

I'd rather not get my hands dirty & muck about with it/risk mucking it up if I don't have to (you have to have car running etc whilst doing it & I've never checked ATF levels before).

KIA CS, can you please just clarify what exactly I need to do with regard the Automatic Transmission & checking its fluid level for my JA Picanto. Am I ok to just leave the fluid level checking for the dealer to do at service time or not ?

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Thanks for that much appreciated.
I was just going off the owners manual that said check ATF level regularly but it looks like check regularly will just mean when the KIA dealer does it at service time.
I reckon I can hopefully stop worrying about that then :wink:
Just the same as check engine oil, brake fluid, washer level tyre pressures etc. It is owner/driver responsibility to ensure they are at the correct levels.

All the service manual does is tell you what the dealer will/should do in that service.

TBH. I would not bother buying any till you need some.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If it needs topping up then it should be done immediately.

Are you using the correct method to check the fluid level. What does your manual say?
Finding flat, level ground can be difficult.

With the ATF, just get it from the main dealer, the price difference should be minimal.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi Kismet

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes, this is checked by the dealer at those intervals as per the service checklist. You shouldn't have to take any action unless you have concerns due to a dash warning.

KCS

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi
That's great KIA CS thanks for the information.
The only thing is there doesn't appear to be a dash warning for the automatic transmission on a Picanto so how can I act on it???
Please clarify.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi
That's great KIA CS thanks for the information.
The only thing is there doesn't appear to be a dash warning for the automatic transmission on a Picanto so how can I act on it???
Please clarify.
Thank you
Would you mind supplying your reg by PM so we can check?

KCS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts