Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
New here and hoping you clever clogs can help.
As title. This is a 2010 soul 2 1.6 diesel.( no shift lock overide button)
Having searched here, I have tried the usual fixes for this but no joy,having taken the cover off the gear shift it appears to be the shift itself that is at fault. I read on here that this part would probably have to be ordered from Korea, is that the case ?
Is there any way of getting this out of gear ? as getting it moved to a garage would be another headache as the front of car is against the house.
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It "might" be a problem with the brake switch, see if your brake light is on when you press it down, maybe give the brake a good shove.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Shot in the dark......https://youtu.be/d5WBsEJ9Qms

·
Registered
448 Posts
Another suggestion on youtube was a faulty break solenoid by the break peddle

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
If brake pedal switch is not operating with pedal pressed down and ignition on, this locks out movement of selector. So this is first thing to check.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is the steering wheel unlocked and free to move?
You can jack the 2 front tyres onto small tyre trolleys if you need to move it. A Pallet trolley is a great tool also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and thank you for your replies.
I'm surprised that this model does not have the overide button, which is a pain.
Brake lights are all working. I'm also confused as to the fixes I've read re brake switch and solenoid and Kia's useless suggestion that it's a flat battery as it seems as if non of the mechanism is actually electrically operated as the foot brake operates a cable to the shift, which is working.
The rod that operates from the gear knob is stiff and doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update.
Disconnected operating rod and shifter is actually ok, rod not moving though.
Checked brake light switch and fuses all ok.
Just solenoid to check now, weather permitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.
Disconnected operating rod and shifter is actually ok, rod not moving though.
Checked brake light switch and fuses all ok.
Just solenoid to check now, weather permitting.
Another update in case any one in the future has a similar problem.
My model had no shift lock override, as such it is completely manual, nothing to do with brake switch and as such no solenoid, shift lock operates from cable from brake to shift lever.
Problem solved, WD40 on lever located beneath air intake just under battery tray.
Happy days.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Suggest that you now lubricate it with a proper lubricant. WD40 will dry out and gum up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts