Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become so used to all the great functions available on this superb Kia model, that when one starts to work intermittently, it becomes a real source of niggle :rolleyes:

So the wing mirrors automatically dip when you engage reverse, which is a great feature and assists in making the reverse manoevre as easy as pie!

My car stands out overnight however and despite fitting wing mirror covers, the freezing temperatures have I think contributed to the passenger side mirror refusing to play ball. It does come to life after using the manual adjuster and is fine again until the next morning.

Does anyone know please whether it do any harm to give it a squirt of WD40 around the edges of the mirror directed towards the inner workings inside the housing?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Agree with Radiorail's suggestions. My wipers were really really frozen today (Snow yesterday, partial thaw, re-freeze overnight.)

Not a fan of WD40 but this is close to it's intended use so worth a try. You need to melt any ice that's in there first as WD40 will not do this and resist using de-icer spray too because although it melts the ice it actually makes the melted water much colder. If you can thoroughly warm the mirror with a hair dryoer or even tepid water first then give it a good spray.

I wish my Sporty had auto dipping mirrors........

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks VM for the prompt responses.

Yes the rear screen demister will help I am sure, but possibly not quickly enough for the first reverse manoeuvre of the day which is off my drive and not much width to spare.

Will give the old WD a try and see if it makes any improvement.

This feature really is a godsend Turnup particularly in helping to get square in between car park lines with equal space on either side.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks VM for the prompt responses.

Yes the rear screen demister will help I am sure, but possibly not quickly enough for the first reverse manoeuvre of the day which is off my drive and not much width to spare.

This feature really is a godsend Turnup particularly in helping to get square in between car park lines with equal space on either side.
I'm sure it is. OK I can adjust them down as desired but it sems to take an age while I am holding up traffic in the supermarket. Can't be all that hard to implement can it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would be cautious with WD40 - it dries up and leaves sticky gunk behind which over time collects dirt and often makes matters worse, avoid it like the plague in locks.

Put some thick woolly socks over the mirrors when you tuck the car up at bedtime :)

(I sort of jest but my neighbour puts a hot water bottle on the top of the dash at night to reduce windscreen frosting!!)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Does anyone know please whether it do any harm to give it a squirt of WD40 around the edges of the mirror directed towards the inner workings inside the housing?
Like you, 'Tommo21', I have to leave my car out (and on a busy bus route) in all weathers. This morning, I had to fetch my car from 75 yards up the street to a space that had become available just outside my garden gate. The car was seriously frozen with both ice and frozen snow on all windows and screens. A quick squirt of de-icer from a 5-year old can and 5 minutes with the combination brush/scraper got the worst off so I started the car and held the engine on a fast idle for 5 minutes, by which time I could see that the front wipers were free of the remaining ice and the heated rear screen was clear.

On reversing into the newly-found space, both mirrors (I have them both set to dip) had cleared and that was both job done and the only motoring I did today.

As for the WD40, I doubt you would do any harm using it behind the mirror glass but whether it frees up the sticking mirror or not, who knows? Try it. Last summer, I had a nuisance spider that decided to spin a web over part of my nearside mirror. Every time I brushed away the web, it would reappear the following morning so, recalling an episode with a spider from my time with another car several years before, I sprayed fly killer in behind the mirror glass. No more spider webs! I can only guess that the spiders don't care for the smell and vacate? Never any problem with mirror electrics.

Later in the morning, my partner's Skoda wouldn't start so I attended with my 'Arteck' jump-start device which although in a low state of charge, got the job done. I then put it on charge and it is ready for action again. That has proved to be a cracking bit of kit, although rather expensive. However, when a car fails to start in this winter weather, the ensuing aggravation causes one's mind to consider that such a device is well worth the money.

Just as an aside, I wondered when I began to navigate out of a tight space this morning when shifting my car, whether I might experience the judder that some KIA owners have complained of. I'm delighted to report that there wasn't a trace. This KIA, the first I have owned, is proving to be the most reliable car I have ever owned and runs like a Swiss watch. Had KIA decided to build an estate version of the lovely K5 replacement for the Optima and bring it to these shores, I would have had one but for the moment, the present car does everything I need a car to do,

I trust yours is providing a nice, comfortable place to cover the miles in winter conditions too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure it is. OK I can adjust them down as desired but it sems to take an age while I am holding up traffic in the supermarket. Can't be all that hard to implement can it?
You wouldn't have thought so.
I would be cautious with WD40 - it dries up and leaves sticky gunk behind which over time collects dirt and often makes matters worse, avoid it like the plague in locks.

Put some thick woolly socks over the mirrors when you tuck the car up at bedtime :)

(I sort of jest but my neighbour puts a hot water bottle on the top of the dash at night to reduce windscreen frosting!!)
My neighbours already think I'm OTT when it comes to cars and your suggestion might just be the proof of the pudding :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like you, 'Tommo21', I have to leave my car out (and on a busy bus route) in all weathers. This morning, I had to fetch my car from 75 yards up the street to a space that had become available just outside my garden gate. The car was seriously frozen with both ice and frozen snow on all windows and screens. A quick squirt of de-icer from a 5-year old can and 5 minutes with the combination brush/scraper got the worst off so I started the car and held the engine on a fast idle for 5 minutes, by which time I could see that the front wipers were free of the remaining ice and the heated rear screen was clear.

On reversing into the newly-found space, both mirrors (I have them both set to dip) had cleared and that was both job done and the only motoring I did today.

As for the WD40, I doubt you would do any harm using it behind the mirror glass but whether it frees up the sticking mirror or not, who knows? Try it. Last summer, I had a nuisance spider that decided to spin a web over part of my nearside mirror. Every time I brushed away the web, it would reappear the following morning so, recalling an episode with a spider from my time with another car several years before, I sprayed fly killer in behind the mirror glass. No more spider webs! I can only guess that the spiders don't care for the smell and vacate? Never any problem with mirror electrics.

Later in the morning, my partner's Skoda wouldn't start so I attended with my 'Arteck' jump-start device which although in a low state of charge, got the job done. I then put it on charge and it is ready for action again. That has proved to be a cracking bit of kit, although rather expensive. However, when a car fails to start in this winter weather, the ensuing aggravation causes one's mind to consider that such a device is well worth the money.

Just as an aside, I wondered when I began to navigate out of a tight space this morning when shifting my car, whether I might experience the judder that some KIA owners have complained of. I'm delighted to report that there wasn't a trace. This KIA, the first I have owned, is proving to be the most reliable car I have ever owned and runs like a Swiss watch. Had KIA decided to build an estate version of the lovely K5 replacement for the Optima and bring it to these shores, I would have had one but for the moment, the present car does everything I need a car to do,

I trust yours is providing a nice, comfortable place to cover the miles in winter conditions too.
You clearly love your Optima and I have to say like you I would definitely have been up for the K5 as a replacement when the time came. The judder you refer to is there on a few occasions but only when driving away for the first time. it is totally manageable and not at all an issue

I also carry one of those power packs and have used my own several times in helping stricken members of my own family and neighbours when cars wouldn't start with cold conditions. The specification said for vehicles up to 2 litres, and it has certainly lived up to that. Last time used was several weeks ago with eldest son's Golf GTi and did the job no problem. He ended up getting a new battery but at least he wasn't stranded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You wouldn't have thought so.

My neighbours already think I'm OTT when it comes to cars and your suggestion might just be the proof of the pudding :)
Condoms wouldn’t be as obvious as woolly socks :devilish:

Though if your neighbours do spot them they might be calling for the men in white coats and a plain van to come calling on you :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Condoms wouldn’t be as obvious as woolly socks :devilish:

Though if your neighbours do spot them they might be calling for the men in white coats and a plain van to come calling on you :D
:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If I comment in words, the mods might delete this thread altogether :):)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Overnight... freezing temperatures have I think contributed to the passenger side mirror refusing to play ball.
When the mirror is clean and dry, spray silicone spray around the back of the glass and where ice has formed.
This will prevent ice from adhering to the parts, it should facilitate run off so no moisture accumulates.
While at it, smear all the door seals to prevent them getting "glued" shut overnight.

Use a hair dryer, then air pistol/ tyre air hose too. Water shouldn't really accumulate back there. It may be a 1 time accumulation, if you can blow it clean, it may be ok for a while.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the mirror is clean and dry, spray silicone spray around the back of the glass and where ice has formed.
This will prevent ice from adhering to the parts, it should facilitate run off so no moisture accumulates.
While at it, smear all the door seals to prevent them getting "glued" shut overnight.

Use a hair dryer, then air pistol/ tyre air hose too. Water shouldn't really accumulate back there. It may be a 1 time accumulation, if you can blow it clean, it may be ok for a while.
Many thanks for the additional suggestions. It actually occurs to me that I have an air duster aerosol for my computer keyboard which I might try on the wing mirror to see if that makes any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts