Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right i have a Xplate 2000 sportage with stupid vacuum locking hubs,everybody under the sun knows they don't work.So the bodge, i took my hubs apart and noticed that if i move the spring from one side of the small gear in the hub to the other side i had four wheel drive (not all of us can afford warn hubs you know).Only thing is iam not sure if it's going to do any damage to the front diff or anything else .Anyone else do this or can think of any trouble iam going to have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Whether you will have an issue depends upon how the 4WD systems works and I can't find much information about it on the web other than it is normally RWD and 4WD can be engaged on the fly.
If you still need to engage a transfer box top have 4WD, all that by passing the vacuum hubs will be doing is removing their free wheeling capability. This will slightly increase your fuel consumption. If however drive is always provided to the hubs which are now engaged, without a central diff, you will rapidly experience transmission wind-up as the 2 axles try to run at difference speeds but are locked together. That will be destructive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know it going to swallow petrol like it going out of fashion but what else can i do i need fourwheel drive but can't afford warn manule locking hubs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts