Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not got my sportage yet but after driving my sons qashqai 250 miles today have a couple ofqueryson the auto lights. I drive a audi a4 and selecting auto lights just puts the headlights on in dimmed mode no matter what the lighting is like to be honest, In the qashqai I noticed they did not come on at all until the lightdiminishedsomewhat and then they would come on and the sat nav would dim which was slightly disconcerting at times until it got darker.

Then I started thinking about this what if I am driving at night on a very well lit road with plenty of bright overhead lighting would the lights go out which surely would be quite dangerous? I am sure all you techno?s out their will tell me the cars lighting sensor can tellthe difference between real andartificiallighting, well I hope you do anyway?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
All I can say is that it has never happened to us yet. The auto lights just come on and go off. No dimming. The DRLs dim when the lights come on though.

Unlike some cars, Chrysler for example, there is no way of adjusting when they come on.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can't speak re the Sportage, but my last car (Mercedes C-class) had auto lights. The sensitivity of the sensor seems to vary across manufacturers - but the one on the Merc always worked fine and no they don't go out when you are in a well lit area, they can tell the difference between natural and artificial light.

I always just left the lights in the auto setting and it worked a treat. The only time I ever found them slightly annoying was on a beautiful bright sunny day and you drive on a darker tree-lined road constantly in and out of the dark shadows for short periods at a time. In this situation the lights would sometimes get a bit confused and come on, go off, come back on again etc etc. This is the only time I would feel the need to take control manually and leave them on.

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can now recognise a sportage with zenon lights as the combination of dipped lights and day time running lights give off the appearence of big illuminated comma's, which i think is very cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts