Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2.0 AWD auto 2013 diesel Sportage and after 65000 miles am looking at changing gearbox oil and filter. My questions are where is the gearbox filter located and procedure for draining and refilling oil.
thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Generally speaking, to get to the drain plug you may have to remove the undercover. Before draining, find the filler plug somewhere deep down in the engine compartment so you know how to refill the gearbox!! Maybe under the air cleaner or battery pan. One method is to measure what you drain out and put back the same amount of new fluid. Don't use the gearbox capacity as a guide because you can never drain it all out. You need a long funnel or a funnel with a pipe attached to reach the filler plug. The filler plug maybe plastic so don't over tighten. Modern gearboxes don't seem to bother with dipsticks. Some may have a level plug at the side of the gearbox others use a "stand" pipe within the drain plug arrangement.(you have to remove the stand pipe to drain all the fluid). I don't think Kia use this system.
Sorry its all a bit vague - no actual experience.

·
Vendor
92 Posts
I have 2.0 AWD auto 2013 diesel Sportage and after 65000 miles am looking at changing gearbox oil and filter. My questions are where is the gearbox filter located and procedure for draining and refilling oil.
thanks
Hi Dachley, We can supply the Genuine Kia Filter and the recommended oil for you. If you PM us your reg we can look it up for you.

Thanks KPD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally speaking, to get to the drain plug you may have to remove the undercover. Before draining, find the filler plug somewhere deep down in the engine compartment so you know how to refill the gearbox!! Maybe under the air cleaner or battery pan. One method is to measure what you drain out and put back the same amount of new fluid. Don't use the gearbox capacity as a guide because you can never drain it all out. You need a long funnel or a funnel with a pipe attached to reach the filler plug. The filler plug maybe plastic so don't over tighten. Modern gearboxes don't seem to bother with dipsticks. Some may have a level plug at the side of the gearbox others use a "stand" pipe within the drain plug arrangement.(you have to remove the stand pipe to drain all the fluid). I don't think Kia use this system.
Sorry its all a bit vague - no actual experience.
Thanks for that, I presume the filter is on the far side of gearbox

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Auto filters are normally inside the gearbox. Changed by removing the pan from the bottom of the box which you would need a new gasket. On autos they are usually referred to as a screen rather than filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The plastic shield under the engine can be a problem to remove. Two of the bolts are in captive nuts that are in plastic brackets and ours spun as the bolts had rust on them. I used a hole saw without the drill bit to cut around them, freed off the bolts holding the captive nuts in a small stilson and then used pan washers when refitting. Also fitted new plastic fasteners as several were missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts