Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced issues with the windscreen Auto Defogging System? For those unfamiliar, this is the small rectagular sensor at the top of the windscreen by the rear-view mirror on the driver's side. It detects moisture on the inside of the windscreen and instructs the front defogger to blow hard until the mositure clears.

This has been kicking in at random and totally inappropriate times (i.e. no moisture on windscreen), often running at full pelt for an entire journey. I've tried follwoing the reset procedure as detailed in the maual (hold down front defog button for ~8 seconds) and have now had to disabled it (hold down front defog button for ~5 seconds).

I think the sensor must have developed a fault. Would this sort of issue would be covered by the standard warranty?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine hasn't done anything special since new, seems to be a gimmicky system that just blows air in the manner you describe... I can barely hear myself talk 45 minutes into a journey sometimes when I realise it is still trying to clear a perfectly clear windscreen.

Did yours ever work properly?

·
Registered
Optima SW GT-Line S 2017
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi anonandy

Interesting to hear I'm not alone. Yes, this is a problem that only started in the last few months as far as I'm aware. Given how noisy it gets I reckon I'd have noticed if it's always been like that.

TBH I may not bother getting the garage to look at it and just leave it off. The car has aircon so fog on the inside isn't an issue anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always assumed the indicator is the Air Conditioning indicator, If it is on, the car is drying the blown air.

I have never found wether the ADS is fitted though, there is meant to be a discrete sensor near the rear view mirror, I can't see one!

The manual for my First Edition shows this:-
___
Font Screenshot Automotive exterior Automotive design Motor vehicle

___

When I try the turning on/off procedure above I get the correct number of light flashes and sometimes, in winter, the climate control goes daft sometimes, switching from heat to A/C or both and changing the fan speed for a couple of minutes. I never have a steamed up windows except when there are frost crystals on the outside after parking, so I assume the ADS is present and working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts