Kia Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I’ve had the soul with DCT 2 years now and it’s great and don’t even bother with the novelty of manual up/down shift ,don’t have much use when you can at a flick of a switch go from eco, regular to sport which is brilliant for a rapid overtake😷

·
Registered
757 Posts
The problem with the DCT is the low speed & crawling situations/operations.
Reversing up an incline.
And when approaching roundabouts, where there can be a dangerous delay whilst the DCT makes up its mind.
Delivering the power is a consistent and predictable manner every time (especially at low speeds).
Reversing up an incline is no different to a manual box. Sitting in a traffic queue going uphill can be different because if it is too slow to keep the clutch fully connected the system makes the clutch slip, when most human operators would pulse it.

There is no problem about DCT "making up its mind". While it is organising the bits and pieces inside the gearbox, it can continue to deliver power in the gear it is already using. So there is never a break in power. It might not be as much power as you want for a moment but it is not zero. Contrast to a manual box where a downshift requires a complete break for about a second.

I have experienced one occasion of embarrassment. Although it might be a combination of factors. I was turning right out of a junction into a continuous queue to my left. I saw a small gap coming so moved to the middle of the road. When the gap caught up with me I pressed the pedal. The car bogged down. Too much workload to analyse. It might be that the engine was still cold and it has a torque restriction mode, it could be that in creeping across the road it had already shifted 2nd and I did not fully stop or it could be that I did stop and it had started an engine stop/start cycle. Next time, turn off S/S and use S gear mode.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with^^ i am really enjoying my DCT and in fairness the manual with the car covers specifically the issue of crawling in traffic FWIW if you are not fond of DCT you should try a car with ECG they need considerable forethought

·
Registered
517 Posts
IF there was an issues as described why not select SPORT mode as this increases the revs

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
It's about understanding the characteristics and driving accordingly. There were some issues with the Sportage sometimes delaying pickup by more than a reasonable amount but a firmware update has improved it considerably. The issue on the Sporty was when dribbling up to a junction or roundabout, you see a gap in traffic which is a bit tight so give it some wellie. The car picks up sluggishly because it is in second (it does not drop to 1st until you are completely stopped), tehn decides it wants first and it takes what feels like an age to get it's act together, meantime that iffy gap you went for is disappearing fast). Solution is to either manually select 1st, but you have to do this a bit in advance of needing it, or the situation is less severe in sport mode but again you have to anticipate needing it. I just don't go for those iffy gaps any more.......

Every car I have ever driven has it#'s own set of quirks and foibles and it's a question of getting familiar with them and driving accordingly. Lewis Hamilton will adapt his style to suit the car and so should we (but perhaps not so near to the limit).

With all new cars, expect to take some time to get to understand how it behaves and then yu can get the best out of it,

·
Registered
546 Posts
I test drove the DCT today in sport mode and cant say I noticed anything different to any automatic. I found the idle stop more an issue as once stopped the car had to start again before trying to jump into the gap!

·
Registered
757 Posts
The issue on the Sporty was when dribbling up to a junction or roundabout, you see a gap in traffic which is a bit tight so give it some wellie. The car picks up sluggishly because it is in second (it does not drop to 1st until you are completely stopped), tehn decides it wants first and it takes what feels like an age to get it's act together,
...and it would probably have been quicker had it stayed in 2nd.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I find the MY21 Rio DCT very nice. I expected to need to use tiptronic down hill but changes down nicely in ECO mode. Did 250 km in it today into the city and returned 5L/100km for the round trip. Changes were smooth and would start off in 2nd unless I came to a full stop.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi everyone. Now that here in regional Victoria we appear to have freedom of movement once again, I will be buying a second Kia during the life cycle of the current Picanto and Rio (here in Australia with 1.4 litre engine and 6 speed auto).

I am obviously very familiar with the Picanto 4 speed auto and quite honestly (don't laugh) regret not getting the second car when the older Rio 4 speed was still being sold brand new. And the reason for that is because I really have to wonder if 6 automatic gears is just too much for a little normally aspirated 1.4 litre engine in a 1,140 kg car.

With my Picanto, once you are on open roads with speed limits of 80 kmh - 110 kmh, it happily just finds 4th gear and sticks there. If the slope is significant enough then the transmission might imperceptably disengage the lockup clutch (revs rise a little but gear does not change) and if the slope is steep it will just change once to third gear and that is as busy as it gets.

But I rented a Sportage last year with a 2.0 litre engine and 6 sped auto and even within the first half an hour of use, the indecisive gear change was already a major annoyance. On the same stretch of freeway where the Picanto happily stuck in 4th with lockup clutch engaged (since it does no other choices!) the Sportage (with its better power and torque to weight than either the Picanto or Rio) kept changing amongst 4th - 6th gears far too often. It was sufficiently annoying that I tried simply limiting it to 5th gear only, but then I found it surprisingly "busy" feeling, even though when I checked the gearing compared to the Picanto when I got back home, the Sportage engine was doing much less revs - yet felt like it was struggling a lot more.

This Sportage experience makes me wonder if the Rio would be even worse again on the typical roads I have around here - mainly 80 - 110 kmh roads with gentle to moderate hills. It seems to me that if my personal experience is anything to go by, unless you have a turbo or large capacity 6 cylinder normally aspirated (like a Sorento), then a lot of gear changing would be typical of what I would experience.

Does anyone else have a lot of experience with the 1.4 litre 6 speed torque converter Rio on the sorts of roads as I have descrined earlier? Do you find it changes gear too frequently amongst 4th - 6th? And / or if you limit it to 5th gear if it is not on the flat, how "busy" does it sound? I guess the one thing going for the Rio versus the Sportage is that generally speaking, all other things being equal a small capacity engine will feel less busy at the same RPM than a larger engine with the same number of cylinders.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts