Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and am looking at ordering either a 3 or GT-Line auto, but local dealers can’t get hold of a the 7 speed DCT for me to test drive. Anyone tried both and have a view on how different they feel? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a loan sport with auto I picked up today. Really nice, anyone who buys a manual car with the roads the way they are today will always regret buying a manual I dont care what they say. Manual cars only make sense if youre buying a performance car like an M2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm having same issue.

I want the GT line auto. Ideally I want the GT Line s in auto but they don't do it.

I really want sat nav but not available in GT Line

If the auto is no good then ill get manual GT Line s

·
Registered
417 Posts
Kismet
if you go on the Kia site and look for the Rio as a new car, and then select the specifications option and download the specification sheet it says the 6 speed T/C is only available on the 1.4 MPI engine. The 1.0 GDI has the DCT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a GT line 1.0 T 118bhp with dct this week and am delighted with it, the car feels responsive and I love the sound of the 3 cylinder engine. The dct is quite rare and I had to travel over 60 miles to a dealer with one. To answer some of the questions above yes Vengablue the 6 speed on the 1.4 is a torque converter auto and is quite a bit slower, less efficient and makes much more C02 than the 1.0 T dct.

Terminator2000, both apple car play and android auto is on the GT line so you don't need the sat nav on the S version, but yes you are correct the 7 speed dct is not available on the GT line S.

The performance figures are top speed of 118 Mph and about 10.1 seconds to 60 Mph which are decent enough, as for economy mine has averaged about 43 mpg but only covered 200 miles of mixed motoring which should go up a bit after it has run in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Olderwiser.

I still haven't managed to drive an auto version yet. The local dealer keeps telling me they are getting one for a demo but so far not got it yet. Nearest one to me is 60 miles away.
I'm waiting for them to become a bit more popular then they might be able to have more flexibility on the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Olderwiser.

I still haven't managed to drive an auto version yet. The local dealer keeps telling me they are getting one for a demo but so far not got it yet. Nearest one to me is 60 miles away.
I'm waiting for them to become a bit more popular then they might be able to have more flexibility on the price.
Honestly I would not give the dealer the power to dictate price, go on a site like carwow, they will find you the best price and a dealer who has one in stock. I got 20% off mine. the local dealer wanted to charge me full price!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi im a newbee to this site and interested in the kia gt line dct can you tell me if it has a manual mode to take control of the 7 speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i had a seat ibiza 1.4 dsg and i loved it you could use the manual mode paddles on steering wheel were handy and it had i think seven real gears not like those cvt which can be very slow although i think honda and toyota use them and may have improved them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the 7 speed dsg in the soul sport and I am more than happy with it and don’t recognise the the reviews from the AE ceed dsg.this is the first dsg I have owned but with the options of eco/reg and sport I find it really good to drive,much better than anticipated after 50 yrs of manual gearboxes and have achieved over 50 mpg on 200 mile runs............ps don’t believe all you read in AE they are very biased in favour of the VAG group and don’t tend to report on those issues like the ones now with the ongoing 1.5 engines and kangaroo issues with some owners returning their cars after months of frustration and over a year of being unable resolve issues with unsuccessful FIX much like the unsuccessful FIX for the Diesel engines that started the word dieselgate.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Honestly I would not give the dealer the power to dictate price, go on a site like carwow, they will find you the best price and a dealer who has one in stock. I got 20% off mine. the local dealer wanted to charge me full price!
Just agreeing with Olderwiser's post.

I have nothing but praise for Carwow. I tried for ages to get a test drive of the Optima I was interested in without success. I even at one stage got the impression that Kia sales managers were hanging on to demonstrator models for their own convenience.

The Carwow system worked brilliantly for me and I ended up test driving and purchasing the model I wanted all in one day, plus agreeing on a very satisfactory P/E value for my trade in.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I'm pretty sure some of those critical of the KIA DCT installation have never actually driven one and there is a danger here that the kind of nonsense produced by some, tars all clutchless transmissions with the same brush.

While I take the view that the DCT isn't quite perfect, it is well engineered by KIA and it's clear that lessons have been learned from Ford's and VW's offerings from a few years ago. In my Optima, gear changes are silky, up and down, left to its own devices. Equally, taking charge of gear selection, either via the paddles or by the gear lever method, produces very quick and smooth changes timed to suit one's wishes.

The raison d'être for DCT is answered by the fact that fuel consumption is far superior to traditional fluid auto boxes which are less efficient in operation. In some installations, fuel consumption is as good as the manual version, in some cases, better.

A lengthy test drive should be all that is required to convince those unfamiliar with DCT that it works very well. It does take a little while to familiarise oneself with the fact that the clutch pedal is absent but once used to it, I'll take a guess here and suggest that few users would wish to revert to manual gearchanging thereafter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"....A lengthy test drive..." -and I think herein is often the problem.
Many folks don't feel comfortable taking a car for a good drive and testing as many conditions as possible.
When we bought our Venga Auto we made a point of going on town and fast roads, both of us drove it and we were out for around 45 minutes. Also checked all the "toys" worked.
The dealer said he thought we had nicked it, but also he clearly knew we were buying it.
Even though ours is a fluid box, and as Indalo suggest's, we'd certainly never go back to manual by choice now and I'd be inclined to consider a Hyundai / Kia DCT as they seem to have learnt from other's mistakes and reliability with their DCT solutions seems quite high.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts