Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2004 Carens 1.8 Petrol Auto.Its got 120,k miles and was slow at pulling away from junctions.
Did seem to get better when warm. Noticed the auto box fluid was black and overfull. Siphoned about 4 litres through the dipstick tube put in 2 litres of new and says its overfull on the dipstick. Drained new fluid to correct levels as per the handbook and now the car doesn't move at all in any gear.
The car did have the engine check light on when purchased but disconnecting the battery and reconecting has it sorted.Have had the engine running to warm up the fluid but no go. Does something need resetting? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a thought Jerry have you checked the oil as per handbook ie engine running and in neutral as it would sound to me that you do not have enough oil in it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the oil loads now and if anything a bit too full. The auto box pump doesn't seem to be working as with the hoses disconnected nothing comes out.The rad is also dry indicating that the pump isn't pushing fluid through to the cooler.New pump from Kia £741 + vat and none in the country, second hand pump £150 if they have one.
Rebuild gearbox £1250 + carriage + vat.
Maybe get a donor car for parts.
What other car is this box used in?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wouldn't personally go through the grief, I'd simply change the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought a donor Y reg manual and will be swapping the gearbox etc over. The floorpans around the gearsticks are identical and I've solved the problem of the auto box inhibitor ( put auto box in neutral remove switch from trans and leave connected in the neutral position elsewhere).Have got a compression tester and a fault diagnosis tester on order to see what engine is in the best condition before the transplant. Will change belts when engine is out of car and put a new clutch on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nearly finished the swap from auto to manual. Used the donor engine and box as complete unit. Replaced clutch and belts whilst out of car. Had to mix and match engine mounts but went in o.k.Just need to sort out the reverse light wiring (probably rewire from box to splice in loom). Will try swapping ecu's soon as I have error codes relating to the auto transmission. Had to replace clutch slave cylinder as it was weak .Some of the wiring loom had to have different plugs changed maybe because the engine was out of an older car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts