Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I can't be the only one who finds the cee'd's (is that good punctuation, I'm not sure?) incessant desire to have the air-con come on automatically when you select demist a complete pain in the ar*e. Does anyone know how to disable this function, without disabling the A/C completely. I'd quite like to decide for myself when I have the A/C on, I'm a grown-up (sort of) FFS.
And yes, I know I could just switch it back off again (which is what I do at the moment), but that can't be good for the engagement mechanism in the long term, warranty or not.
We're talking 09 plate 1.6crdi gs here, btw.

Blood pressure at severe risk here.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I dont think there is a fix for your problem. Its the same on the Rio too. Yes it is a pain in the ass coming on every time. I used to leave the blower at zero setting and that way it would not come on when I fired the engine up.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Completely agree, such a simple 1-2 second task to switch them off but a pain non the less.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dervheid said:
Okay, I can't be the only one who finds the cee'd's incessant desire to have the air-con come on automatically when you select demist a complete pain in the ar*e.

well it makes sense by the end of the day when you select demist to have the air-con on...
an air-con not only makes cold air but also removes moist from the air, giving dry air, and that's exactly what you want on to demist your windows, dry air.

but i was many be better to have a switch on the air-con to make your owndecision to have it on or off.

Edited by: bitman

·
Registered
32 Posts
Demist will operate much more effectively (faster) with the air-con on. Otherwise forget the demist button and use the "point to sreen" button instead - it'll take a lot longer but will cause you minimum upset !

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,120 Posts
On the 01-05 RIO the instruction manual instructs that to override this feature'1) Turn the fan speed the "0" position.
2) Turn the mode selection knob to the defrost position.
3) Push the recirculated air position button at least 5 times within 3 seconds
Then the indicator light in the recirculated air position button will blink 3 times with 0.5 second of an interval. Follow the same proceedure to restore.'

I have done this on my Rio to stop the a/c coming on automatically although I have to say it demists a lot faster with the a/c on!

Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give that a try over the weekend.

And YES, I do know that it'll demist quicker with the A/C.
But like I said, I'd like to be making the decision.

And the 09 cee'd is knobs, not buttons

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,120 Posts
Only too pleased to helpkeep your blood pressure down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice one Phil! I've just tied it on my 59 plate Ceed, and it worked a treat. Wonder if it'll work on my mate's Renault which has the same annoying setting?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Demist with aircon on does nothing if its a cold morning as mine is a diesel,So it makes it worse as its just cold air blasting on the windscreen.

·
Registered
757 Posts
jem said:
Demist with aircon on does nothing if its a cold morning as mine is a diesel,So it makes it worse as its just cold air blasting on the windscreen.
The system won't turn aircon on below 2.8C. When it's on the key thing is that it blows dry air. It does work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree , have mine on auto all the time , when I need to demist the windscreen it clears almost instantly , that's what it's meant to do .

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi

Yea i know about it not coming on a certain temp didn't know it was 2.8c. Cheers

I should make it clear Yes it clears the screen when its misted/condensation but i have allways found that putting it on when its been a frosty morning or just a really cold morning that the inside of the windscreen will mist up straight away because its cold air thats blasting out on the windscreen.

Also if the inside of the windscreen is allready soaking wet then having the aircon on the windscreen doesn't do anything when the engine is cold,I can see how the aircon works for petrol owners as the engine warms up so quickly.

But for me on a cold morning a diesel car and aircon is useless instead i have to open the windows.

Maybe im using the aircon wrong?

If its been frosty what i do is to place hot water bottles along the dash so when i get in the car the inside of the windscreen doesn't mist up.

EDIT: I will say this is my first winter with this car so i will press the defrost button and not the point to screen button to see if its the same or not.

Edited by: jem

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well all I'll add is that every car I've had with climate control works like this . It is not just Kia's , it is what it is and you can't please all the poeple all of the time . I personally like climate control and use it like it's meant to ie Auto on and demist when I need it , obviously on a cold morning you need heat in the engine before you use the demist and on a diesel this takes time , so untill it's warmed up you have to wipe with a demist pad . If you want a heated screen buy a Ford or Volvo , problem solved.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You dont even need a car with a heated screen if you have a diesel just do what i do i put a sheet on the windscreen at night so when its frosty the screen is all clear i dont have to spend any time scrapping ice or using deicer. And to stop the windscreen misting up inside on the cold ice mornings i just put some hot water bottles on the dash and when its time to leave to go to work i dont have to worry about it misting up as soon as i get in and breath. The water that is in the hot water bottles i dont waste because i then just empty it out on the side windows to melt the ice. Job Done.

·
Registered
757 Posts
jem said:
But for me on a cold morning a diesel car and aircon is useless instead i have to open the windows.
I can't say I have noticed a particularly slow warm up.

Maybe im using the aircon wrong?
You say you have the LS version which is the same as mine. Once you have pressed the demist button, there are no other user adjustments.

EDIT: I will say this is my first winter with this car so i will press the defrost button and not the point to screen button to see if its the same or not.
You can't press demist and turn off the aircon or adjust the vents or fan. You will have to set what you want manually.

You don't leave it recirc by any chance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts