Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It can be a pain every time you want to connect your car to the internet on an iPhone you have to open the phone go to settings then Personal Hotspot. So I made a Shortcut to my Home Screen. Now all I have to do is touch the Shortcut and it opens in Personal Hotspots

To do this.
First open Shortcuts on your phone. Then touch the + in the top right corner and Add action.
At the top of the screen you'll see some icons, scroll right to left till you see Web (looks like a compass), and select it.
Scroll down to URLs and select URL. Then tap on apple . com and enter, prefs: root = INTERNET_TETHERING and then tap the + underneath.
Scroll down to Safari and tap Open URLs. Tap next. Here you can enter the name for your Shortcut. I've just used Hotspot.
You new Shortcut will appear on the Shortcut page.
Tap the 3 dots in the icon then on the next page tap the 3 dots.
Now you will see your Shortcut tap icon. Here you can change the icon colour and the Glyph (symbol). I've used the Wi-Fi symbol. Tap Done.
Your now back on the previous screen. Now tap Add to Home Screen on next screen tap Add.
Your new Shortcut will be somewhere on you Home Screen. You can move it like any other Icon.
Tap it and you'll go straight to Personal Hotspot.

Hope you find this of some Help.
Of cause if you have Kia uvo yo won't need it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
'Chrispy1', I hope you don't mind me correcting the little typo there; it happens to all of us at times. The important thing is for me to say thank you for that excellent, step-by-step walkthrough of how to create a shortcut on an iPhone.

Having always had an iPhone of one generation or another since its inception, I have always achieved whatever I want to do on the device without ever creating a shortcut. As I have never found it any great hardship to connect to the hotspot when I enter my car, it has never occurred to me to create a shortened process. I realised a long time ago that there was a way to keep an Android device connected to the hotspot but Apple's Apps Store never had anything similar......unless I was asking the wrong question?

Next time I venture out in my car, I shall test the shortcut and respond, hopefully in the affirmative! Now, I'm wondering if there is anything else on my phone that might benefit me to have a shortcut on the first page.

Once again, many thanks for providing that bit of useful information

Reactions: Chrispy1

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Chrispy1', I hope you don't mind me correcting the little typo there; it happens to all of us at times. The important thing is for me to say thank you for that excellent, step-by-step walkthrough of how to create a shortcut on an iPhone.
I blame the auto correct 😁
At least it didn't say Hop.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
'Chrispy1', as promised,
Next time I venture out in my car, I shall test the shortcut and respond, hopefully in the affirmative!
I ventured out to put some recyclable material in the relevant bin and then popped into my car a few yards further on, armed with iPhone X in hand to test the shortcut.

Tested and I'm delighted to inform you that it worked a treat!

There was no faffing about required; just a single press on the shortcut icon and it connected immediately. On the basis of that brief trial, if there are any other iPhone users among forum members, I am happy to recommend 'Chrispy1's detailed but straightforward process in post #1.

Hats off to that man!

Reactions: Chrispy1 and iooi

·
Registered
379 Posts
It can be a pain every time you want to connect your car to the internet on an iPhone you have to open the phone go to settings then Personal Hotspot. So I made a Shortcut to my Home Screen. Now all I have to do is touch the Shortcut and it opens in Personal Hotspots
View attachment 11188
To do this.
First open Shortcuts on your phone. Then touch the + in the top right corner and Add action.
At the top of the screen you'll see some icons, scroll right to left till you see Web (looks like a compass), and select it.
Scroll down to URLs and select URL. Then tap on apple . com and enter, prefs: root = INTERNET_TETHERING and then tap the + underneath.
Scroll down to Safari and tap Open URLs. Tap next. Here you can enter the name for your Shortcut. I've just used Hotspot.
You new Shortcut will appear on the Shortcut page.
Tap the 3 dots in the icon then on the next page tap the 3 dots.
Now you will see your Shortcut tap icon. Here you can change the icon colour and the Glyph (symbol). I've used the Wi-Fi symbol. Tap Done.
Your now back on the previous screen. Now tap Add to Home Screen on next screen tap Add.
Your new Shortcut will be somewhere on you Home Screen. You can move it like any other Icon.
Tap it and you'll go straight to Personal Hotspot.

Of cause if you have Kia uvo yo won't need it.
:unsure: Just an observation, is this any different to swiping up from the bottom of the welcome / home screen on a Iphone then selecting the green wi-fi button?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
is this any different to swiping up from the bottom of the welcome / home screen on a Iphone then selecting the green wi-fi button?
Good point, 'vengablue'!

I might have tried that but for the fact that I stripped tons of stuff off my phone a year or so back including all the shortcuts that were there by default. At that time, I was up to 5 full pages of Home Screen icons. That was reduced to three but I have regressed a little and have gone over to page 4.:rolleyes:

Another radical review required methinks!

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
132 Posts
If you swipe to the control screen, you have to press a bit longer in the middle if the connection group (wher the wifi and bluetooth symbols are) and then on the next sceen on the symbol "Personal hotspot ...) ...

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
633 Posts
Many thanks crispy 1………….yep as i suspected,,,,,MY FAULT now working ok👍👍👍👍….BRILLIANT I presume you have to keep the iPhone hotspot selections ON or does the new shortcut hotspot do this when when selected?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks crispy 1………….yep as i suspected,,,,,MY FAULT now working ok👍👍👍👍….BRILLIANT I presume you have to keep the iPhone hotspot selections ON or does the new shortcut hotspot do this when when selected?
Mine's always on but it opens on the hotspot page so you can just turn it on.

Did you miss the "prefs:" off That's what I did when I first tried it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:unsure: Just an observation, is this any different to swiping up from the bottom of the welcome / home screen on a Iphone then selecting the green wi-fi button?
I don't get anything when I swipe up from home screen.
If you mean this one
Colorfulness Communication Device Gadget Font Mobile device

Then no. It just turns the Wi-Fi on or off.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you swipe to the control screen, you have to press a bit longer in the middle if the connection group (wher the wifi and bluetooth symbols are) and then on the next sceen on the symbol "Personal hotspot ...) ...
I didn't even know about that one. But if I want to be picky it is one more press. :p

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't get anything when I swipe up from home screen.
If you mean this one
View attachment 11197
Then no. It just turns the Wi-Fi on or off.
There isn't a green icon top right. If you swipe down from top right you get the control screen. Which is what Gerd_NL Said

Top right of the combined icon box you have circled. :) takes you to a new screen with personal hotspot icon bottom right

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
132 Posts
... and for iPhone you have to do this again after every shut off the motor ... happily I have now UVO ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.