1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting randomly on Sportage 22 plate

Here are the things that I have tried
  • New USB Cable
  • "Forget Car" on the carplay setting on the iPhone
  • Verified System version with Kia Update team
  • Tried to update the system to reset the version (fails every time)
  • Tried multiple Apple devices and it still cuts out
  • Deactivated bluetooth when using Carplay
  • Soft reset the system using the pin hole in the bottom right hand corner
  • Reset the system to factory settings
  • Reset Apple device to factory settings
  • Updated iPhone
When the device disconnects, it still gets a charge off the USB port. That indicates that it is not the USB port to the device.
The device disconnects when driving, this can be on motorways or through towns. There is no pattern of when this drops (certain areas, low signal areas).

I have spoken to the Nav Update team to see what they think and apart from doing the soft reset and forgetting the car on my phone, they couldn't suggest anything else. They told me my software is up to date but my maps were not, when I tried to update, it keeps failing on 37% and I have tried multiple USB devices.

Super Moderator
This is a Gen5, pictures below
I was talking about car?

If that is a picture of yours then it's a Gen5W head unit.

There are also Gen5 Compact (7") & Standard (8") (y)

So until the new Gen5W comes out. This week all being well 馃おYou have the latest software on the head unit 11-02-22

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about car?

If that is a picture of yours then it's a Gen5W head unit.

There are also Gen5 Compact (7") & Standard (8") (y)

So until the new Gen5W comes out. This week all being well 馃おYou have the latest software on the head unit 11-02-22
I'm not holding my breath as I've tried to update multiple times using multiple USB's and it fails on 37% every time.

Super Moderator
Which i-phone do you have?
Have you tried the cable that came with the phone?

You do sometimes get random drop outs. Both my Android & daughters i-phone do it from time to time. Pulling USB cable from car & reconnecting usually resets it.
But if you have the phone on the wireless charger it can cause more issues. So make sure that the wireless pad is turned off.

They told me my software is up to date but my maps were not, when I tried to update, it keeps failing on 37% and I have tried multiple USB devices.
The software you have on your head unit is the latest version for your head unit. Just because the maps do not show the same as the software does not mean they are not the latest version.
So you are wasting your time trying to update the head unit. It is properly failing as it is the same version.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which i-phone do you have?
Have you tried the cable that came with the phone?

You do sometimes get random drop outs. Both my Android & daughters i-phone do it from time to time. Pulling USB cable from car & reconnecting usually resets it.
But if you have the phone on the wireless charger it can cause more issues. So make sure that the wireless pad is turned off.

The software you have on your head unit is the latest version for your head unit. Just because the maps do not show the same as the software does not mean they are not the latest version.
So you are wasting your time trying to update the head unit. It is properly failing as it is the same version.
iPhone XS Max, I don't have wireless carplay. Resetting the USB doesn't help or reset it, it makes it do it more often if anything. When using CarPlay, I've moved the phone around the car, passenger seat, centre console, inside the armrest etc.

Registered
iPhone XS Max, I don't have wireless carplay.
For the sake of clarity, when you say you don't have wireless CarPlay, do you mean that it exists on the phone but just doesn't work when cabled to the car USB?

If that is the case, does your phone provide ACP on another car's infotainment unit? By that I mean, a family member, a friend or a work colleague. You probably know somebody who has a car and uses an iPhone to provide CarPlay. It would be interesting to understand, before the next Gen 5W update comes along, whether the problem is with the car or with the phone.

Alternatively, and purely out of curiosity, as your car is probably equipped also with Android Auto, do you have another phone in the household operating on Android? Or again, do you have a friend with an Android phone that you could test in your car once the AA check box in settings is ticked? I understand that even if an Android phone works, providing AA, it does not follow that your iPhone must work too. However, if AA doesn't work in your car, then it could suggest that there is a problem with the infotainment unit that needs to be resolved.

As your car is fairly new, perhaps you should be speaking to your supplying dealer and allowing their technical chaps to have a crack at achieving ACP with your phone? Although it's of no help to you, I'm on my third iPhone, the X model which, like two previous editions, have all worked flawlessly, the first in a Hyundai i40 Tourer and the subsequent models in my Optima SW.

Super Moderator
iPhone XS Max, I don't have wireless carplay. Resetting the USB doesn't help or reset it, it makes it do it more often if anything. When using CarPlay, I've moved the phone around the car, passenger seat, centre console, inside the armrest etc.
I mean do you have the phone on the wireless charging pad. NOT using wireless car play (y)

As Wireless charging has been known to overheat i-phones, which may lead to it shutting down intensive apps.

Seems you have tried most things. Here's hoping the new software update might fix. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Seems a common issue.

Registered
Seems a common issue.
From what I have read, the XS Max was launched in 2018 and dropped from the Apple range in 2019 so it's in essence an out-of-date iPhone although I'm sure it functions perfectly well, the OP's problem aside.

The latest IOS software is 15.5 so IOS 13 was some time ago and although the OP mentioned that he had updated the phone, he didn't say when or mention to which IOS software.

I hope he gets it sorted soon as that is some serious aggravation he has been suffering.

Reactions: iooi

Registered
Sportage MK5'22 4 HEV
I am on OS15.5 but I still have issues with Carplay especially with Google Maps. Specifically, the Maps appear to freeze and the current location gets stuck at a place even though I have moved much ahead causing to miss the route. Happened at least 3 times for me. I am since trying to switch to the the inbuilt sat nav. To add, other music apps seem to be working fine though.

Super Moderator
I hope he gets it sorted soon as that is some serious aggravation he has been suffering.
So do I. Nothing more frustrating than these issues (other than Kia software updates 馃ぃ ) As you end up in a blame game & no one taking responsibility for the problem. Like the Samsung S21 farce.

For @j34lzyx I have something in the back of my mind that someone posted before about a setting that when phone screen locks it was causing a issue with car play, causing it to disconnect. But can not find it..

Just found this. Do not know if it will help.

If CarPlay isn't enabled when locked, it can't activate if your phone screen is turned off. To rectify this, go to Settings > General > CarPlay and tap your car from the list of available connections. Then toggle on Allow CarPlay While Locked.

Registered
[/QUOTE] Just found this. Do not know if it will help.[/QUOTE]

Font Art Logo Brand Graphics

Never having had any of those recorded problems with ACP, I never knew anything about that setting but it could well be key to the OP's trouble.

Good find, 'iooi'!

Reactions: iooi

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do I. Nothing more frustrating than these issues (other than Kia software updates 馃ぃ ) As you end up in a blame game & no one taking responsibility for the problem. Like the Samsung S21 farce.

For @j34lzyx I have something in the back of my mind that someone posted before about a setting that when phone screen locks it was causing a issue with car play, causing it to disconnect. But can not find it..

Just found this. Do not know if it will help.
Unfortunately, I tried that one, I had it on my previous vehicle so everything worked fine. It's weird because it will work for 10 minutes, then drop out, then if i reconnect it, it will drop out continuously

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So an update...

I've noticed that when CarPlay keeps disconnecting, there is a "Media Off" message error that appears at the top of the screen. I don't know if that has any relevance. When starting up the car, the "Media Off" always appears in the bottom left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts