Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can order this oil from,as i wish to change the transmission fluid. My Kia dealer is trying to fob me of with dextron 3 which they say is the correct oil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kia... only place you can get it in the uk.
Part Number: 0450000140A

http://kiasorento.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=helpfiles&thread=8052&page=1#44648

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've searched the net for Oils that conform to Kia Red-1 at £13 per LtrOther brands are now available that conform to the Red-1 spec.

Opie Oils sell the Motul ATF £13 per Ltr or Amsoil ATF at £14 per Ltr

Eurocarparts sell Valvoline Maxlife ATF at £11 per Ltr

·
Registered
93 Posts
The products listed above claim that there use will not void the manufacturers warranty. What we don't know is whether or not they are approved by Kia.

Warranty doesn't affect me with a 2005 Sorento, and so I have don't have a problem with these products as long as they state their oil conforms to Red-1 spec.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Robbev said:
Warranty doesn't affect me with a 2005 Sorento, and so I have don't have a problem with these products as long as they state their oil conforms to Red-1 spec.
what brand do you use?

i'm looking around to get the kia red-1 oil but most of the times i get the answer oh we have this oil only in big drums and is not for sale...

doesthe site support kia dealer not have this red-1 oil for sale?

if not i'm tempting to buy from opie oils the motul oil...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Kia dealer in Swindon quote me £12.80 per Ltr for Red-1.

Not a bad price for a dealer, but Valvoline Max-life is £2 per Ltr cheaper and more convenient to buy at Eurocarparts,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi I changed my auto gearbox oil on my 55 reg Sorento a short while ago I bought Apolloil Red from Chinese Garage Beckenham kent. They didn't have enough in stock but it only took a couple of days to get.It lists you need 10 lts I only got just over 4 lts in .I have put the rest in the garage for next time they charged me £10.72 plus vat.I thought putting the correct oil in was cheaper than a new gearbox.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ian murray said:
Does anyone know where i can order this oil from,as i wish to change the transmission fluid. My Kia dealer is trying to fob me of with dextron 3 which they say is the correct oil.

if you have the 4 speed auto box then yes -> dextron 3

if you have the 5 speed auto box then NO -> red-1 only

·
Registered
93 Posts
bigjames said:
It lists you need 10 lts I only got just over 4 lts in .I have put the rest in the garage for next time they charged me £10.72 plus vat.I thought putting the correct oil in was cheaper than a new gearbox.

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/torqueconverter.shtml

The reason that you only used half the oil is that the other half is in the Torque Converter located at the front of the Auto Transmission. When you start the engine the old oil in the converter will mix with the new oil in the transmission via the oil pan at the base of the transmission.

To "flush" the oil from the converter, without a flushing machine, the above link is the best explanation I can find as to how to achieve it manually. The flushing is simply a case of draining the old oil gradually via the cooling pipe and topping up via the dip stick entry pipe. There is a widely held myth that "flushing" forces dirt from the base of the pan and metal swarf on the magnets back into the transmission.

I'm currently waiting for a response from Valvoline technical department thar 'Maxlife' is an approved alternative to RED-1. I read on an oil techy website that the origin of RED-1 is that ii was originally used back as far as 1990 in Kia/Hyundai vehicles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This oil
business gets more confusing by the minute.

Apparently
the 5ASR1 gearbox was developed and manufactured by Jatco, a division of Nissan
as part numberRE5R05A. A gearbox is used in Nissan, Hyundai and Kia
cars, mostly 4*4's, plus other manufacturers.

Nissan
specify Matic-J, Hyundai SP111, and Kia Red-1. All claim that only their oil must
can be used in this gearbox. There are numerous examples on the net of Nissan,
Kia and Hyundai owners attempting to buy these oils at the dealer only to be offered
Dexron 3 as a substitute.

Castrol
are thought to have manufactured Matic J in the past as Castrol Transmax J. If
you search on the Castrol UK website for Kia Sorento 5 speed using 5ASR1, they
recommend Castrol Transmax Dextron 3 multivehicle.

Are Matic-J, SP3 and Red-1 essentially Dextron 3? Any oil experts out
there?

Opie Oils have just emailed me with this:

""According to our data, it needs a
Dexron III fluid, but some people have told us that it needs an oil that meet
certain Japanese specs.

The ones
I'd recommend are the Fuchs ATF4400, Amsoil ATF, Millers SPIII and Motul Multi
ATF.""�

·
Registered
101 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">if you cannot get the kia red-1 then my best bet is the motul multi atf. but then again oil cost you 'only' about £100 while a broken autobox will cost you a fortune

also opie oil wanted to advise me dexron iii in my 5 speed autobox
not a good advice imho. after telling them that it will distroy my autobox they then give me the same advice as yours;

Robbev said:
Opie Oils have just emailed me with this:

""According to our data, it needs a
Dexron III fluid, but some people have told us that it needs an oil that meet
certain Japanese specs.

The ones
I'd recommend are the Fuchs ATF4400, Amsoil ATF, Millers SPIII and Motul Multi
ATF.""�

for my self i'm still looking around to buy the kia red-1 as i don't like to gamble!

·
Registered
36 Posts
We should not have to "look around" for this oil. If Kia recommend it Kia dealers should keep it. I for one have given up with Kia dealers with regard to Red 1 oil. I don't see using, for example Motul Multi ATF, as a gamble, it clearly states in the spec sheet it is a suitable replacement for Red 1 and Motul technical people have confirmed this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dod said:
We should not have to "look around" for this oil. If Kia recommend it Kia dealers should keep it. I for one have given up with Kia dealers with regard to Red 1 oil. I don't see using, for example Motul Multi ATF, as a gamble, it clearly states in the spec sheet it is a suitable replacement for Red 1 and Motul technical people have confirmed this.

your right for vehicles outside the kia warrantie and i might going to usethe motul oil

it's more if you still have warrantie and want to do some maintains your self likean auto box oil change.

i'm also thinking of people who had problems with their auto boxes while having full kia main dealer service history... as many main dealers do have olny shell oils in bulk and probally not even using red-1 oil in the 5sp autoboxattributes to the auto box problems? to many of them come back telling me oh yeah we use dexon iii
same goes for the front prop shafts joints being bone dry as it's difficult to lub them.

now i'm not saying that all (kia) main dealers are the same and this is just my personal observation and experience with main dealers in general.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Update on my comments above about Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol Transmax Dexron 3.

Valvoline have not responded to my technical query asking to confirm that Maxlife conforms to the same additives spec as Red-1, and Castrol have said that they do not offer an equivalent spec for Red-1.

I'm off to buy some Red-1.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts