Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days I've been staying in the North York Moors.

Whilst there, I thought I'd take advantage of some of the available 'green lanes' and give the Sportage a test. My first hurdle was getting over taking a 61 plate into the rough/dirty stuff.

Anyway, it coped really well. It even had no problem on a steep up-hill slippy mud farm track that was tricky to walk on; I was very impressed! The downhill assist was excellent, although it is set at 10mph, which is a tad fast for me! I totally forgot to see if the speed could be adjusted using the cruse control speed adjuster (as can be done with Freelander/Discos); does anyone know if it can?

The hill start assist worked perfectly on the slippy mud slope as well!

I'm all set for winter now, I'm confident it will cope with snow easily.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
"how does the cruise speed control operate, just can't get it to work for me."



Follow all the instructions for turning on the cruise control - the first action you then take is to decrease the speed - flick towards the minus sign - then plus up to whatever speed is required. Mine will not work unless I do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Arctic Paul said:
Over the last few days I've been staying in the North York Moors.

Whilst there, I thought I'd take advantage of some of the available 'green lanes' and give the Sportage a test. My first hurdle was getting over taking a 61 plate into the rough/dirty stuff.

Anyway, it coped really well. It even had no problem on a steep up-hill slippy mud farm track that was tricky to walk on; I was very impressed! The downhill assist was excellent, although it is set at 10mph, which is a tad fast for me! I totally forgot to see if the speed could be adjusted using the cruse control speed adjuster (as can be done with Freelander/Discos); does anyone know if it can?

Paul

According to the manual, the downhill brake control (DBC) is set at 5mph. I have done a fair bit of off tarmac driving and, in situations where you would need the DBC, 10mph is way too fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was deffo not 5mph! That would have been more suitable, it held at 10mph...a tad too quick!

That said, on one rather steep slope it did seem much more controlled and slower, but I wasn't looking at the speedo.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Grenadekid said:
AT nearly 25k theres no way im taking mine near mucky fields or lanes unless i have to lol, and i live in a mountainous rural area

Ha ha! Ours lasted barely half an hour after picking up before it left the tarmac and drove through it's first cow pat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Im up in scotland at the mo, did a bit of off roading while on Sky,
I can confirm the downhill descent control is 5mph, well mine certainly is. Using th4 + - on the cruise control has no bearing on the speed of descent.

I tested this, this morning before we left sky for Fort William


If yours is going faster than 5mph Paul maybe you need to get it looked at, or perhaps it couldnt maintain the slow descent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The slope it was doing 10mph down wasn't that steep, the downhill green light only flashed intermittently; maybe it wasn't steep enough?! The slopes that it felt slower on, I was concentrating too hard on looking out/steering and not looking at the speedo!

I can't wait for the snow ;o)

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Hehe me either! I don't understand how people are so scared of it so much. I love driving my old transit van around for work in the snow. Double back axel rear wheel drive and going side ways round corners. Really should grow up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
RichieD76 said:
Hehe me either! I don't understand how people are so scared of it so much. I love driving my old transit van around for work in the snow. Double back axel rear wheel drive and going side ways round corners. Really should grow up!
Yep i will let the wife drive around in the kia,(better she hits it rather than me lol ) i have a petrol rav4 for some fun but if thats no good i will borrow one of our transits from the workfleet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Now I am envious, not even coming off your insurance if it all goes tits up!
No chance of you buying snow tires this year then? It's only a few weeks away so I'm told. Distant brother in-law works for the met office....which means nothing when I think about it because they still get it wrong most the time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
RichieD76 said:
Now I am envious, not even coming off your insurance if it all goes tits up!
No chance of you buying snow tires this year then? It's only a few weeks away so I'm told. Distant brother in-law works for the met office....which means nothing when I think about it because they still get it wrong most the time!
Yep not off my insurance but my employment status could go tits up if i wreck one of the work vans, i only paid 500 quid for the petrol rav4 so if i bump it or wreck it, its not that bad
. I have a set of snow tyres on the rav4 so ready for it
and a set of winter tyres on the front of my connect which i use as a mobile workshop for fixing the vans and doing breakdowns at work so let it snow snow snow!!!


Edited by: Grenadekid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Arctic Paul said:
It was deffo not 5mph! That would have been more suitable, it held at 10mph...a tad too quick!

That said, on one rather steep slope it did seem much more controlled and slower, but I wasn't looking at the speedo.

Paul

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Mrs T took her parents out for a drive to show off her new car today. She did a couple of green lanes and reports that the Downhill Brake Control does keep the speed down to 5mph... on her car at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
belgrave said:
Sorry


Was posting from my iPhone with very bad signal on Skye lol.

Had an excellent time with the car in the scottish highlands, no issues what so ever with it, and that was up and down quite a few dirt tracks up the sides of mountains and such as my wife is a geologist and were both keen walkers.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top