Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
A good point I missed on my phone.
99% of the time, there will only be me in the car.
For a given driving style, a Picanto that regularly carries passengers is more demanding on its brakes, yet I doubt the cynics on here worry about that.
A completely irrelevant point.

No car with 4/5 seats and boot space would pass C+U regs if it was only safe to drive with no passengers and nothing in the boot.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A completely irrelevant point.

No car with 4/5 seats and boot space would pass C+U regs if it was only safe to drive with no passengers and nothing in the boot.
Not irrelevant at all, when some of us are being portrayed as foolish for not modifying brakes in response to a small increase in power.
When someone driving around with more load than I is actually demanding more of the brakes.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Not irrelevant at all, when some of us are being portrayed as foolish for not modifying brakes in response to a small increase in power.
When someone driving around with more load than I is actually demanding more of the brakes.

30% is not small, it is significant.

Agreed that a fully loaded vehicle will put more heat into the brakes than a lightly loaded one for any given change of speed.

You seem to be picturing a single braking event and (correctly) theorising that this will not overheat the brakes and I would not take issue with that. Brakes rarely overheat in a single use. In real world driving there will be repeated application of the brakes and, regardless of the loading in the vehicle, a more powerful engine will, if that increased power is being used, require more frequent application of the brakes and thus giving them less time to cool between applications. Put another way the increased engine power will demand increased energy dissipatoin in the brakes, regrdless of the loaded weight of the car. Note that the heavily loaded car with lower power will take longer to accelerate back to any chosen speed. More powerful vehicles have better brakes - even those which weigh far less than your car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the 1.0L turbo in my Rio first edition at 118bhp and its hard to get the power to the ground well in most conditions,

99hp in the Picanto imo would be great fun in the UK, I've had a gt line with the 1.25 and that was a blast and tbh had great power for that size car,

99bhp sticky tires and have fun in the corners,

cos what ever bhp gain you get its never gonna be a traffic light killer,

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I have the 1.0L turbo in my Rio first edition at 118bhp and its hard to get the power to the ground well in most conditions,

99hp in the Picanto imo would be great fun in the UK, I've had a gt line with the 1.25 and that was a blast and tbh had great power for that size car,

Would totally agree. Stonic has the 118 bhp engine and I could spin the std tyres in 1st 3 gears when setting off without really trying.
Changing tyres helped, but can still spin up without flooring throttle from the off.

Daughters Picanto is a different beast, takes some spinning up of tyres. But is very sharp away from the line. Best upgrade for Picanto would be the 6 speed box.
Has more than enough poke to shame many hot hatches.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I give up on the brake issue, PicantoABZ is obviously an expert since he claims to have driven hundreds of laps at 180+ mph, but we all know the definition of an expert don't we?

But that is an issue with many (if not all) powerful front wheel drive cars and has been since powerful front wheel drive cars appeared in the 70's. These days ist less of an issue since the sophisticated traction control systems cuts power to stop the wheel spin but what is the pointy of paying for loads of power if you cannot actually use it, and its not just setting off, read iooi post regarding whee;spin in 1st through 3rd gears.

I am still debating what my next car will be, no rush, cannot buy one at present. It has to be an estate or SUV and I would like about 250 PS to play with and loads of toys. As of this moment in time its between the BMW 330i touring and the Volvo V60 T5 (its the B5T now). Both have the required 250 PS, both are 8 speed autos, both have about the same torques. But looking at a couple of magazine reports the actual performance is very different with the BMW being 0.9 of a second quicker form 30-70 and from 0-60 (pointless I know) the BMW is 1.3 seconds quicker. The quote one magazine "the T5 is driven by its front wheels and cannot transfer its power to the road as effectively as its rear drive rival", basically it cannot use it whereas the BMW can.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Who mentioned 30%?
That would take a standard 99bhp Picanto GT-Line to 129bhp.
I'm not looking to do that, check back my posts and I've said 15-20% max would be fine.
I was sure that there was mention of 30% but having reviewed the thread I confess that I must have been mistaken :sick:. Maybe not so bad then.

Could not find any info re what brakes are fitted but this spec is the top of the Pic range for power (and torque) so still something to think about.

·
Registered
826 Posts
<snip> The quote one magazine "the T5 is driven by its front wheels and cannot transfer its power to the road as effectively as its rear drive rival", basically it cannot use it whereas the BMW can.
BMW once famously said rwd was always better than fwd and that they would never manufacture a fwd. Then they realised how much money they would loose by that so they bought the 'Mini' brand so they could actually make and sell a fwd. Saab also had issues with fwd and power. I had a 1979 Saab 99 turbo once and that could be very exciting on roundabouts.... :eek:

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
BMW once famously said rwd was always better than fwd and that they would never manufacture a fwd. Then they realised how much money they would loose by that so they bought the 'Mini' brand so they could actually make and sell a fwd. Saab also had issues with fwd and power. I had a 1979 Saab 99 turbo once and that could be very exciting on roundabouts.... :eek:
To be fair, BMW have stuck to their (correct IMO) belief that RWD is best to a large degree, the majority of their cars are still RWD.
Even their electric i3 is rear wheel drive.
And even on the new 1-series, which is FWD, they've made huge efforts to make it feel like a RWD (ie more balanced than a nose-heavy FWD).
Their FWD cars are looked upon with disdain by the salesmen and other BMW staff though, they're RWD through and through.

·
Registered
351 Posts

I still spin the wheels with my 74KW and it is fun as the standard tyres are sticky enough for our dry Aussie roads!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Who mentioned 30%?
That would take a standard 99bhp Picanto GT-Line to 129bhp.
I'm not looking to do that, check back my posts and I've said 15-20% max would be fine.
It will actually go to 133bhp in Pommy speak with the Bluespark or Powerbox!

The Picanto owners would be aware of this in another thread here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
And even on the new 1-series, which is FWD, they've made huge efforts to make it feel like a RWD (ie more balanced than a nose-heavy FWD).
Not totally correct. Clearly BMW acknowledge that front wheel drive is unsuitable in their most powerful 1 series derivatives. In the previous 1 series the M140i (and its daddy the M135i) were both rear wheel drive, the current M135i is all wheel drive. Even the current 120d is only available as all wheel drive which gives some indication of the engineers belief of front wheel drive in powerful/torquey cars.

·
Vendor
28 Posts
Thought i read somewhere on here that bluespark had gone down the pan.
We are most definitely still here and have just become a group sponsor. Superchips recently went into adminstration, perhaps that's who you were thinking of?

Their website says they are still going but I'm not taking the risk of purchasing being in a different country
:(
There's no issue at all with ordering from a different country, we ship worldwide every day. Shipping to Australia via DHL is 3 days door to door.

Our money back guarantee still applies regardless of where you are.

If you are in any way sceptical you can order via PayPal with full buyer protection, again regardless of where you are in the world.

Best regards,
Edd

21 - 37 of 37 Posts