Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone has some tips to run in a brand new diesel Rio ?

I took delivery on Monday and am really pleased with the car.
So far I have covered 200 miles.

Every time I start the engine, I let it idle for nearly a minute before driving off and also let the car idle for 15 - 20 seconds before turning off (I am thinking of the Turbo unit cooling).

I asked the dealer before I took delivery of the car and he said that the engine was run in so I could drive it normally right from the moment that I got the car.

I looked at the hand book and it states "The engine does not need to be 'run in' but varied driving is recommended for the first 600 miles".

I think this statement ( 'varied driving' ) can be interpreted in any number of meanings.

So what is the best way to run in a new diesel ?

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi,
I feel the most important thing is that you do not labour the engine, use the gearbox to match road speed.
By variable speed, don't drive flat out just gently increase your speed over the first 2000 miles
You will find that the engine loosens up at around 12000 miles and you will see a reduction in your fuel cost as the m.p.g increases.
I may be a little old fashioned here but I always change the oil and filter after 1000 miles.
If you read the e-mails here most people expect 50 m.p.g from the start, it does get better overtime.
Make sure you keep checking all the levels, including tyre pressures get into the habit once a week minimum.
Don't forget to keep us all informed as to your progress.
ENJOY !!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

I have tried not to labour the engine at all.
The only problem with the diesel rio is that 30MPH is not really a four gear.
Its more like a 3rd gear speed.
It feels kind of odd driving in 3rd gear around town !
300 miles covered (since Monday) so far and all going well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
drive off instantly but gently reving, oil 'll get quicker evherywere,
some told me that cold start is like 100 miles on hot engine on motorway so dirive off straight away

Edited by: wildpolish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts