Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

...just got myself a pre reg Niro 2 self charge hybrid. Only completed one journey so far (from the dealers). Started to read the manual but it's massive!

Just wondering if there is anythng specific I should be aware of. eg, I thought the regen breaking was a bit "sharp", and just read that you can vary this by using the +/- paddles in "eco" mode to increase or decrease this?

Also when you apply the auto hold/brake does it remain "on" after you turn the engine off, or do you have to put it back on each time you drive the car?

...many thanks for any newbie tips...

·
Registered
354 Posts
keep your right foot light. Only brake when absolutely necessary, use the regen for everything else. Avoid 'Sport' mode. It does nothing except burn petrol. Handbrake stays on until you move regardless of whether you have switched the engine off. Enjoy

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..ta for the tips, appreciated....I have no real intention of using "sport" mode as I don't see the point in having an auto then changing gears yourself! :) .....auto was the main reason for changing my car, and after the firt trip I wish I had gone auti years ago!

I noticed that the car does "creep" unless you use the auto hold function?...going on hols for a couple of days shortly to give it a good run. Will be interested to see what sort of mpg I can achieve, hopefully the 65mpg+ I got on the trip home!

·
Registered
354 Posts
..ta for the tips, appreciated....I have no real intention of using "sport" mode as I don't see the point in having an auto then changing gears yourself! :) .....auto was the main reason for changing my car, and after the firt trip I wish I had gone auti years ago!

I noticed that the car does "creep" unless you use the auto hold function?...going on hols for a couple of days shortly to give it a good run. Will be interested to see what sort of mpg I can achieve, hopefully the 65mpg+ I got on the trip home!
Mine is 3 years old now and doesn't have the auto hold function but the 'hand' brake does the same job in traffic. If you can keep it below 60 then mpg should be good.

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..below 60 is not a problem....these days I am normally around 50 tops, (mainly rural), possibly 60 on the rare occasion I venture onto a motorway!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Evening Stu.
Sorry missed your PM.
Looks like we'd better meet up and chat about Niro's!

Top tips from me, after 2 years use:
Every time you start the car switch off the Lane Keeper control, turn on the Auto-hold and set the regeneration to level 1.
Change the headlight bulbs, the standard ones are crap!
Drive gently and use the regeneration to slow you down, so clicking to level 2 and then 3 as you approach junctions, bends. Also find level 3 good for going down steep hills without braking.

I still haven't used Android Auto; must try it sometime.

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Graham and thanks for your input, (...happy to meet up sometime when you are free?). I have now set up Android Auto and will give it a test over the next couple of days as we are away. I was going to get a new satnav but I will see how Android auto works first.

·
Registered
335 Posts
..ta for the tips, appreciated....I have no real intention of using "sport" mode as I don't see the point in having an auto then changing gears yourself! :)
Sport mode isn't just about changing gears yourself, if you put it into Sport mode and leave the paddles alone it's still in automatic mode, but it just gets a lot more responsive, and isn't as eager to change up the gears as when in Eco mode.

Very handy for overtaking to give a bit more poke, and also if you do a lot of driving on hilly, bendy roads like I do, it's a much more pleasant experience. In Eco mode, if you're climbing up a steep hill with bends, if you ease off before a bend, it usually changes up a gear, and when you exit it then bogs down and takes forever to shift back down again which is a PITA.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sport mode isn't just about changing gears yourself, if you put it into Sport mode and leave the paddles alone it's still in automatic mode, but it just gets a lot more responsive, and isn't as eager to change up the gears as when in Eco mode.

Very handy for overtaking to give a bit more poke, and also if you do a lot of driving on hilly, bendy roads like I do, it's a much more pleasant experience. In Eco mode, if you're climbing up a steep hill with bends, if you ease off before a bend, it usually changes up a gear, and when you exit it then bogs down and takes forever to shift back down again which is a PITA.
Well I live in a VERY hilly part of Mid Wales and I've never found that happens with mine

Reactions: Hi De Hi

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nor have I, though I do agree with @AlunS 's point about it's usefulness for overtaking, especially on single carriageway roads.
There have been one or two places with hills that I would have used Sport mode, as AlunS suggests, but for my wife being a dreadful passenger.

Sport for a more rapid exit from an awkward junction, busy roundabout or overtaking safely and quickly on any road is something one should consider.

You may not use it much BUT knowing what to expect by trying it out would be wise and a safety option (in my opinion).

Towing would be another thing that might benefit from Sport mode use with full control of gear ratios and gear holding possible in that mode.

Just remember that there is no regen from the braking system in Sport mode.

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ta for the replies. I have not really tried port mod. I presume if you move the lever over to "sport mode", but don't touch the paddles, then the car will continue in "auto" mode? On the odd occasion when I have tried the paddles most of the time the Engine management system would overide my chocie of gear anyway?....obviously need to carry on reading the manual!

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you move to Sport mode you should see an S in the new display. So that is sport characteristics by auto mode.

You can also use the "stick" to change up and down by pushing forward or back. Or the paddles.

If you take charge then the display should show the gear you are currently in and any suggestion about it being a good time to change up or down.

Once out of "S" mode I'm not sure how one might return to it without briefly returning to ECO and back to Sport again.

If you try to push the boundaries of the system's expectations too far it will eventually change gear for you. The suggestions aim to keep the engine revs within optimum ranges that cover both performance and some degree of economy, if the driver's choices are thought to be simply wasteful, or just wrong for performance as well.

However, the important thing is that the system's responsiveness is faster and that can sometimes be important

·
Registered
388 Posts
Towing would be another thing that might benefit from Sport mode use with full control of gear ratios and gear holding possible in that mode.

Just remember that there is no regen from the braking system in Sport mode.
Having now done well over 2k miles towing I have found absolutely no benefit from using Sport mode whilst towing.

Reactions: Stubod

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
4,107 Posts
If you move to Sport mode you should see an S in the new display. So that is sport characteristics by auto mode.

You can also use the "stick" to change up and down by pushing forward or back. Or the paddles.

If you take charge then the display should show the gear you are currently in and any suggestion about it being a good time to change up or down.

Once out of "S" mode I'm not sure how one might return to it without briefly returning to ECO and back to Sport again.

If you try to push the boundaries of the system's expectations too far it will eventually change gear for you. The suggestions aim to keep the engine revs within optimum ranges that cover both performance and some degree of economy, if the driver's choices are thought to be simply wasteful, or just wrong for performance as well.

However, the important thing is that the system's responsiveness is faster and that can sometimes be important
If you are driving forwards you are either in sport mode or eco mode so that should answer your question.

·
Registered
2022 - Niro 2 - HEV
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
..must admit I was very sceptical about the principles of "self charging", but 2 longish trips and both averaged over 70mpg. So far happy with my choice for a Yeti replacement.

Although only the level 2 the larger tyres seem to give a really compliant ride, and the adaptive cruise is a really useful feature...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts