Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i posted this on a lawn mower forum 24 hours ago...and not even a "welcome" comment, so just wondering is anyone on here has some experience or advice on this...

Long story short...I've been looking for a mower for my 8m2 of lawn for a while, and recently spotted an older Hayter 48 roller mower (1992) and a newer (2007) Husqvarna R147 SE.
I decided to see if my wife would be able to fix up the broken Husq bag, (assuming she would say no....but alas she said yes...) Trouble is i'd already placed a starting bid of £35 on the Hayter...but someone would bid at that price right....guess what I now own two mowers...

now i need to decide which one to keep, so anyone have any experience with these models or engines? - There are pro's and con's to both...but in particular, the rear of the body of the Husq has already corroded away, so how easy is it to patch a new peice of metal onto it?

One is a Husqvarna R146SE built in 2007 and has a Briggs & Stratton 675 engine, its been in storage for 18 months+ but still started pretty much first time with new fuel, and the oil is still clean! ...it's much lighter than the other mower, and has the option of electric start. but con's is the the area around the grass chute is rusted away. the grass bag was also ripped (but think i fixed that?) - purchased for £50

The other is a Hayter 48 roller mower, it was built in 1992, and has a Briggs & Stratton 129 series engine.
Pro's is that it has an aluminium alloy body, parts are cheap, is easy to dis-assemble as the basic design has been around forever!
Cons is that it's much heavier than the Husq. and isn't exactly a slow walking pace, - purchased for £35
(I purchased it as it not powering the roller, and turns out the split pin in the drive had popper out, and all works fine!)

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Wheel Automotive tire Plant Tire Lawn mower

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
Keep both..
His & Hers, lawn cut in half the time.

Oh & Welcome 😂

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,281 Posts
I had a Husqvarna just like yours for many years and used it for cutting the grass in a quarter acre orchard. It was never serviced apart from me changing the oil and plug every couple of years and cleaning the air filter when I remembered. The only reason I gave it away was because I bought a wider self propelled machine in the sales. I don't like roller mowers as they are hard to manoeuvre on small lawns and tend to fall off lawn edges. Lovely for leaving stripes on the grass if that's your thing (or if you have a bowling green). I'd keep the Husqvarna and sell on the Hayter.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Keep both if you have the space.
I ended up doing a large lawn for an ill relative a few years ago and was using an old a 2nd hand self propelled as it was too big a lawn to 'push' a mower round,if it was me I would keep both - super cheap way of cutting the grass :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8m2? So 2 x 4m? Hardly needs 2 mowers.
Let her choose which one she prefers to use...... ;)
Yeah, that's the issue, i don't really need both. I prefer the Husq, and as Noublue said I would patch up the rusted out parts, as i have all the tools, although having watched some Americans patch up their mowers, it certainly doesn't have to be pretty!

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
Is that a welcome to the too much stuff in my garage club? 😂😂
Yep 😍

Mine is full as much as it can be. But there is always room for something I need, well think I need 😂

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you need a petrol mower for such a small lawn?
it’s more convenient…I already got petrol strummers and hedge trimmers, I can fix these myself, I can’t with electric…Plus the electric types I was seeing on eBay didn’t fold down that small, (both these can be stored under my existing work bench) very few seem to have collection bags, but the main reason is that it would take me longer to run out and put away an extension chord than it takes to cut the lawn! 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts