Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,Not posted for a while as starting to get depressed that everyone else seams to bet getting there cars butIstill have not got my 2.0 CRDI KX-3 Sat nav AWD auto that was ordered last march (2011)

Long story short, was originally told delivery August 2011 and then told that they was a delay due to a parts shortage, and that I would only find out a date once the car was in production which would be about two weeks notice (which at the time was a common conversation on here sobelievedwhat I was being told).
More recently I have been advised that now they have a really big shortage of the combination 2.0 auto with nav. I have been offered a 2.0 manual with nav, andIhave been offered a 2.0 auto but no nav.

I am buying my car via a lease company (which is totally legit as my brother works on the finance side of the company).I am not leasing the car, but buying it via a leasingcompany

However it is just dragging on now to the point that it seams to be a joke and have a couple of questions that I would like to try and get a couple of honest answers/thoughts from everyone but also if they are any dealers to also try and confirm......

1) is they or has they been shortage in 2.0 CRDI KX-3 Sat nav AWD auto?
2) do you think that my lease company have had there pants pulled down, and that the dealer they are working with sold the car originally ordered for them to a direct customer?
3) I have seen on here a few people say they have been able to contact Kia UK to get an better update on there specific order number? Is that true can they do that?

Have been offered my deposit back but to be honest for the money I cannot get any other brand spanking car that comes with great bits (that don't have to be paid for as an extra)anda 7 yearwarranty.

Sorry if I sound ranty but just getting naffed off.

Edited by: Avidblue

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here's a tip - forget the Nav, its beyond dire, just search the forum - use a TT or buy an aftermarket unit.

It won't take full postcodes, no speed cams and the maps are out of date.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't agree with the above..

I have three factory satnav cars, and none of them take full post codes. Nissan/Renault/Kia.

It is simple to put a part code in, andthen the street though.

They also don't have speed cams either, but at least the Kia satnav has speed limit warning symbols.

My Renault didn't have TMC enableduntil Renault paid for it. So hopefully Kia will do the same.

I have the November maps, and they are OK, however no maps are that up to date.

I absolutely refuse to use a TomTom againon several points.

First you risk getting your car broken into if you accidentally leave any ring marks on the windshield, even if it is in the glovebox. (have already suffered that one!)

Setting up and taking down the thing tends to you not bothering unless you really have to.

Even stopping at a shop leaves you with the dilemma if to risk leaving it on.

Ugly wires, smaller screens and blocked windscreen views are not ideal.

If you really need speed cams now and again, do what i do. I use an iphone App, and that works just the same. And it can just be left in the front phone cubby hole etc.

Because satnav is so useful, i wouldn't buy a car unless it was factory fitted. Or at least fit my own double din version.

How many times i've been out with TomTom owning mates, only to find they haven't brought it with them is unreal. They quote it isn't safe to leave in the car.

We seem to resort to me using a satnav App on my iPhone.

Great maps/speeds cams are no use if it is sat at home!

Kia Satnav perfect? No

Kia Satnav bad? No!

Edited by: fulabeer

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with fulabeer. My last car, a Volvo S60 had built in satnav and although it must have been about 6 years out of date I would much rather use it than aseparateunit, and it couldn't do any part of a postcode. It's just so much more convenient to have it there all the time and on a large screen.The only issue I have with the Kia nav is that its soooooo quiet when i'm on a motorway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yep, got to agree. Think the sat nav is good. I have never had a problem finding anywhere with it, and to top it off it's bloody accurate down to a couple of meters when changing speed limits. Am I also right in saying it may only be a nav but you also get the reversing camera thrown in aswell? Save yourself a couple of quid and forget the satnav....but the day you back into something you'll be cursing yourself all day long

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My wife and I now have built in sat navs in our cars but we still take the a Garmin Nuvi long journeys. It's useful for the speed camera alerts and thetraffic infothat the Sportage (aftermarket) unit doesn't have. It is also possible to take it with you when you go on holiday. Ours has been invaluable in the US, Australia and Cyprus.

The aftermarket sat navs have a reversing camera function too... and DVD... and DTV. The downsides are the screen brightness and the phone book is in numerical order! Oh, and you have to rip your dashboard apart to fit them. Not for the faint hearted!

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,thanks for you all thoughts on the nav piece its nice to get a view from both sides. But RichieD76 is right its also the reversing cam (not jokes about me being a girl LOL
) , plus i like the look of the dash with it so defo would like to stick with that.

What do you all think about the 'shortage'? do you think that is possible or are they pulling our legs?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I read it as the sportage the first time! Lol. Not sure for the shortage reasons but the factory in Europe recently advertised 1000 new jobs to run a 3rd shift. It's strange though because there is practically everything automated

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i just like creating a new language and the two go together so well like you say sid!

I know they have had 'problems' in general with delivery times, but it seams to have got better the last few months and I just wondered if anyone had heard anything specific on the KX-3 Auto as folk on here seam to have had or are getting there '
Shortage' in a much shorter time. IE ordered much later than mind and taking delivery within a 'few months'

or am i just being even more impatient?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If you have been offered your deposit back, why not contact a broker and see if they can get you want for immediate delivery? If you were prepared to forget the sat nav, your chances might be greater. The aftermarket units look virtually identical to the factory ones and can work out a lot cheaper.
Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
536 Posts
The way i saw it when i was possiably going to have a 4month wait, is that when its on paper...dont worry! Your trade in, is loosing money but your not. your running the milage up for free. If you have a crash and its a right-off you already have a garanteed value so the insurance company cant try any funny business by offering you pittance. If you moving from a smaller car and the sportage is going to be more to insure your saving money by seeing out your policy longer at a cheeper rate per day. As long as the car you have now has a nice long MOT or isnt going to cost anything to be put through an MOT other than the cost of the test....dont worry. And just for an added bonus, if the price drops and the depreciation of your current car is less than the discounted price of the sportage, you've saved even more by asking back your deposit and buying it off the forecourt when it arrives.

BAD NEWS ALERT........AND if this "recession" that could be around the corner (thanks euro) you have the added time to back out if need be.
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hang on in there Avidblue, your car will come ( eventually)and it will be worth the wait.You are absolutely correct that nothing on the road comes close for 'value for money' 'extras as standard' and 'warranty' ---not to mention the superb styling! I agree with Fulabeer the SatNav is worth having, it's a big improvement over my previous Garmin unit and, although not perfect, it is pretty good. Finally, Avidblue I think your choice of the 2.0 is the best option as I have found the 1.7 under powered one really needs to 'drop down' to 4th gear to overtake.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would not bother with any sat nav at all, whats wrong with a map? Cant go wrong with that plus the fact I think having sat nav in a car, just like a phone is a distraction and it should all be band (OK I'm a biker that is getting pissed off with people f**king about with sat navs and phones in cars and nearly knocking me off LOL).

Hope you wont have to wait to much longer for your car.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Geoff9309 said:
Finally, Avidblue I think your choice of the 2.0 is the best option as I have found the 1.7 under powered one really needs to 'drop down' to 4th gear to overtake.

Odd, I wouldn't say our 1.7 is underpowered at all. Both my wife and I are fairly fast drivers and we find 5th is perfectly adequate for overtaking.

Maybe we got a good one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RichieD76, Techno, Geoff9309 and BanditGT... thanks for your replies.

RichieD76, you are so right, and thankfully I think so far my current car has only dropped a little and the people I am buying from have said they will take my wait into consideration when they re-value myswap(cannot be bothered selling myself).

I spoke to themyesterdayand they are sounding more optimistic...but not holding my breath, over the months I have seen you guys get yours and enjoy them so much that I just want mine now!

Thanks again guys, feel a bit better now... will let you know when (if LOL) i get it :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
While the 1.7 CRDi isn't the most powerful car on the road, i'm shocked to hear somebody call it under powered.

I come from a long background of powerful sports cars, and more recently a powerful diesel Jaguar.
I would have ditched the idea of the 1.7 CRDi in favour of the 2.0 CRDi straight away if i thought it felt lacking in any way.

It didn't, and actually felt better than i thought it would.

The Sportage 3 Satnav1.7 CRDi is my wifes car so ihaven't driven it that much, but when i have, it never feels underpowered. (and it's still running in)

Of course the 2.0 CRDi is going to have more urge, and make the car feel swifter.

But the penalty for that hardly used extra oomph is higher fuel consumption the rest of the time. (no stop-start either)

That kinda defeats the purpose of the diesel KIA in the first place. (unless you NEED 4x4/auto then you have no choiceetc)

She went from 16.1 mpg in her dieselNissan Pathfinder auto, to currently 40.2 mpg in the Sportage manual. (and not even run in yet)

Iget 55+mpg (60+ @60mphon motorway), but only do longer runs, were as she is totally urban and max 2/3 miles each journey.

These figures are amazing for the size and style of the car.

If i was towing all the time, i would have got the bigger engine. But for day to day use, i would say it has enough power to satisfy most people.

There is always the option of having a professional engine remap. (not a cheap ebay black box)

I've had a few cars with this done. I have found apart from the extra power, when not abusing it, it somehow reduces fuel consumption.

The new Optima 1.7 CRDI has 20 BHP more power. From what i have read, it is just a new map and the engine is identical.

I assume, that map will be available soon.

Either way, iwould still advise people to get the 1.7 CRDi and drop a cog now and then (if needed)and save yourself a few grand (in fuel and purchase price)in the process! LOL...

(sorry to avid blue for going off topic, but just wanted to reassure people the 1.7 diesel was ok etc)

Edited by: fulabeer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi allSorry to jump on the thread regarding shortage of the sportage

I have experienced something similar. i ordered mine kx3 2.0 satnav auto in October from a dealer in yorkshire, it would be financed via personal contracting. 2 weeks ago still nothing
i was then told hopefully mid Feb. i asked what the issue was. I was told there was a shortage and everyone was in the same boat. feeling pi$$ed of i spoke to a dealer in Essex who told me "yeh, we got three in our showroom" i then spoke to the dealer in yorkshire who told me that they would either be lying or they wouldnt let me buy the sportage

to cut a long story short went to the dealer in Essex spoke to a sales guy explained the situation and i am picking the car up this Saturday at 09:30 (counting the days down
)

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.