Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
well i know a customer who has a 1.1 rio 2 and picked up last saturday andis averaging just over 50 at the moment in a car that when worn in(around 800 to 1000 ) should get 74.8 .

Them figures dont seem so bad at the moment in my opinion

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would not believe any mpg figs Kia say as they are a bit optimistic. In the real world it would be about 10mpg less than whats stated in brochures etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
its the same in all manufacturers though .... besides the figures get set by the goverment not the manufacturers all because of the tax bands

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took delivery of a 1.25 mid-Sept. With 1220 miles on the clock presently getting consistently just under 44 mpg on brimming tank method. We are very pleased with all aspects of the car so far. It has a solid feel and seems altogether larger than it is - if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
vass177 said:
well i know a customer who has a 1.1 rio 2 and picked up last saturday andis averaging just over 50 at the moment in a car that when worn in(around 800 to 1000 ) should get 74.8 .

Them figures dont seem so bad at the moment in my opinion
I would be seriously unhappy if I had the 1.1 and only getting 50 mpg. My Rio 1.5 CRDi gives between 50 and 54 mpg, has done from new. I suspect you have to really cane that 1.1 engine to get it to move anywhere and that's why the mpg is so poor. Running in the engine might increase the mpg by 1 or 2, but not make it go up to 70+

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
536 Posts
On nearly all the kia range people have been saying how there not getting close to the stated MPG. It's scary really as my 2ltr passat used to get 50-55mpg. I'm hoping that the 1.6cdti uses less (or at least the same amount of fuel) as my old passat. Really starting to doubt myself and am considering cancelling my order of the proceed 4. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Glad you like your Rio Canary, 44 mpg is the quoted for urban, what sort of driving are you doing?
I'm not convinced yetabout these new Rios. Has anyone compared the handling with the old one, is it significantly better? Does it have a lot more space?

I can't help feeling that they are a lot more expensive, less powerful and probably not much more efficient.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
RichieD76 said:
On nearly all the kia range people have been saying how there not getting close to the stated MPG. It's scary really as my 2ltr passat used to get 50-55mpg. I'm hoping that the 1.6cdti uses less (or at least the same amount of fuel) as my old passat. Really starting to doubt myself and am considering cancelling my order of the proceed 4.
It's been talked about a lot on this forum, but what I want to know is how the less powerful new Rios compare to the old ones in terms of their economy.

Richie, could you ask for an extended test drive? Having the car for a couple of days and see what the real economy is like before you buy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi M4Trundler - car has covered a good mix of journeys, including trips to Inverness and Highland Perthshire, plus local stuff, and usually on good class roads, i.e. very few severe gradients. Southbound A9 there is a long pull from Inverness to Slochd summit. Road is largely uphill for about 20 miles, and tops at over 1400 ft. I had to drop down to 4th gear at times in order to maintain any sort of momentum which is a fraction disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. I cannot compare with old models as I have no experience of them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The customer in question bought the 1.1 2 with 8 miles on it and went straight down the motorway for like 200 miles and averaged 50 mpg in fairness for a brand new car i dont think thats bad as it will only get better.....

in relation to the power the customer stated that he doesent have a problem overtaking or pulling away from junctions ..... he said " more then enough power... more then i expected its a really fun car to drive "

yes i know thats only a single opinion but still thats a good sign right how many others on here have got a 1.1 yet ???

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
vass177 said:
The customer in question bought the 1.1 2 with 8 miles on it and went straight down the motorway for like 200 miles and averaged 50 mpg in fairness for a brand new car i dont think thats bad as it will only get better.....
Unless they were driving along the motorway at 90mph+ I think that's pretty poor consumption for a car with a claimed 88 mpg. I also am not convinced about the car being new as the reason for it being so low. Ifthat were the case,when my CRDi Rio was new, I should have been getting less than 40 mpg for a car with a claimed mpg of 62. However, I have always had, from the first tank onwards, between 50 and 54 mpg.

I hope other people will post what mpg they get for the 1.1 CRDi...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Exiled Canary said:
Hi M4Trundler - car has covered a good mix of journeys, including trips to Inverness and Highland Perthshire, plus local stuff, and usually on good class roads, i.e. very few severe gradients. Southbound A9 there is a long pull from Inverness to Slochd summit. Road is largely uphill for about 20 miles, and tops at over 1400 ft. I had to drop down to 4th gear at times in order to maintain any sort of momentum which is a fraction disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. I cannot compare with old models as I have no experience of them.
Sounds like the fuel economy for the petrol version is similar to the old one.
How's the handling on those country roads? What tyres did it come with as standard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
M4trundler said:
Exiled Canary said:
Sounds like the fuel economy for the petrol version is similar to the old one.
How's the handling on those country roads? What tyres did it come with as standard?
Ran a 1.4 Clio prior to this 1.25 Rio - almost poetic in'it?. The Rio is much more sure-footed, and has a more solid feel. Car is fitted with Kumho Solus KH17 tyres. MPG spreadsheet is as follows - tabs don't work:

DATE OUTLET LITRES MILES GALLONS MPG/REFILL AV MPG MILES/DAY
19-Sep-11 MORRISONS 30.33 18 6.67
22-Sep-11 MORRISONS 25.21 258 5.55 43.24 43.24 80.00
27-Sep-11 TESCO PERTH 27.09 515 5.96 43.12 43.18 51.40
28-Sep-11 TESCO BARN HILL 33.86 850 7.45 44.97 43.78 335.00
04-Oct-11 SAINSBURYS 32.85 1152 7.23 41.77 43.28 50.33
12-Oct-11 MORRISONS 31.37 1455 6.90 43.91 43.40 37.88

·
Registered
234 Posts
Exiled Canary what is your total milage and what sort of driving do the above figures reflect urban/motorway ect.. i'm averaging (37-40 onboard comp') to and from work urban still only 140 miles on the clock tho'so expect it to improve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Armac08 said:
Exiled Canary what is your total milage and what sort of driving do the above figures reflect urban/motorway ect.. i'm averaging (37-40 onboard comp') to and from work urban still only 140 miles on the clock tho'so expect it to improve.
If you can sort out where the tabs should be, the information is all there. Total distance covered at last refill 1455 miles. I have not bothered to look at dash comp as I shall probably remember when I am driving and will end up in the hedge! As per an earlier post - it is a good mix of driving - consumption is quite uniform at the moment which is a little disappointing as no real sign of improvement on 43 and-a-bit mpg.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts