Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Was mentioned in the motoring press early on this year. Its coming out next year as a 2door Sport model.
I am sure it was in Auto Express.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Been invited along to a "special" (how special I wonder!) test drive of the new Rio to give feedback to Kia. If I get the chance to go I'll raise the issue. A 1.1 diesel maygive a good mpg under certain conditions, but it will be soooooo slow!

·
Registered
65 Posts
after extensive research i cant find anything to do with a 1.7 sport model ??

only a 1.2 petrol turbo version which wont be sold in uk

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,227 Posts
The Yorkshire Post dated 3rd September 2011 had a good article on the new Rio and says that the current availiable engines are petrol 1.25 and 1.4 and diesel 1.1 and 1.4. It does give a big hint however that a new larger engine is due next year, 'All three 1.1 diesel engines are inside 100gm/km - so no annual road tax or congestion zone charge. That model is coming next year.' and ' On sale now with 5 doors, and a sportier 3 door to follow.'
So I assume a sportier 3 door version with a bigger engine is coming next year

The only critisism found was the choice of tyres and recommended changing them for 'german or french rubber'.

Edited by: phil866

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just driven a 1.25 Rio "2".
Immediate first impression was that the metallic blue was nothing like either the web site nor the printed mini-broschure - much more towards mauve: just an observation - not a deal breaker. Driving position is easy to make comfy & I really liked the push button for folding & unfolding the wing mirrors - such a good feature, shame it's not automatic when the ignition is switched on or off. The ride is superquiet & everything well supressed at town speeds. Didn't have the opportunity to drive over potholes or speed humps which some reports have criticised. On a dual carrigeway refinement at 70 OK, but not as spectacularly good as around town. Not sure if it was more the wind or tyre noise. No idea on acceleration/grunt partly as it was so new, & partly as I'd buy the 1.4 diesel.

The 1.4 diesel will be available in November & I was told that with a £100 deposit I clould secure the £750 "September" bonus which could be entirely efunded "no hard feelings" if I didn't like their 1.4 diesel when it arrives "in a few weeks"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Auto Express magazine tested the Rio and three rival cars this week, the Rio came second to the Fiesta. I sat in and had a good poke around a new Rio yesterday, I will be downsizing when I replace my Ceed and am still thinking a Fiesta, far greater choice of models and engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are new Rio UB owners manual, quick start guide, features guide, sat nav manual etc available http://www.kiatechinfo.com ""“ it's free to register, don't have to be a dealer. Some of the features mentioned (reversing camera) don't seem to be available in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> ""“ maybe later. Still there's a lot more information than in the skinny <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> brochure.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ordered a Rio 1.1 CRDi 1 on launch day and am now told delivery might be mid December.
Very dissappointing that delivery will be so long and also might be too late for the £750 launch bonus.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Had a sales guy phone me up yesterday from Stoneacre Kia inviting me to a party they were having for the new Rio on Friday. He was going on about 88mpg etc and how wonderful the new Rio is, at which point I said it was much less powerful than the old CRDi Rio. He then started talking bull about how these modern diesel engines are made of lighter components and the technology has improved so much and that I would not notice any difference in speed or performance even though the power output was lower. However, the weight of the new Rio is about the same as the old one, so unless Kia lied about the power output of the old Rio, according to this sales guy, somehow Kia have been able to change the laws of physics! As good as Kia might be, I don't think they have that capability!!! So I had a look at the Kia website for the new Rioand sure enough, the 89 BHP 1.4 CRDi has a 0-60 mph of 13.7 seconds -more thantwo seconds slower than the old Rio...Then if you look at the 1.1, which is the one that claims 88 mpg combined, the 0-60 is almost 15 sec! Not everyone is interested in performance, but sales people should not bullsh*t their customers!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
On a further note, having looked at the spec page of the new Rio, I ask:

"What is the point of the Rio 1.1 air, or the 1.1Rio2?"

Their performance is worse than the Rio1 1.1
Rio1 1.1 CRDi: 0-60 14.9 sec, Rio2 1.1 and 1.1 air: 0-60 15.5 sec

Rio1 1.1 CRDi: combined 88.3 mpg, Rio2 1.1 and 1.1 air: combined 78.5 and 74.3mpg (respectively)

Rio1 1.1 CRDi: CO2 85 g/km, Rio2 1.1 and 1.1 air:95 and 99 g/km (respectively)

The Rio1 1.1 CRDi is much cheaper too...

Am I missing something somewhere?

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
And another thing!!!
I see the service interval has dropped from 12,500 miles to 10,000 miles. For me this means I'd have to have an extra service each year.

Unless these mpg figures are true for the new models I don't see much reason for anyone to do anything than stick with the old CRDi Rio.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 your bang on with the report. The sales guy is talking bullsh*t. I had alook at the new Rio today and i think it is way over priced and not a patch on the 1.5CRDI it is replacing. OK road tax is cheaper with some models but it is a snail compared to the previous mode. I would rather pay £90 a year road tax for a car that will have a bit power than one that is a complete bore to drive.
IMHO they have got it wrong.
I have been asked to come to the launch of the new Rio at my local branch but I will not be going as its a bore. Nice lookin car dont get me wrong but it will be not much fun to drive in any engine format.
Its all about green issues now and planet friendly pure sh*t in my eyes. Soon we will all be running around in leccy cars and being bored oot wer nuts and chucking oorselves off bridges to end this miserable life that the governments wants us to have just to be environmentally friendly.
I am fed up with this excuse just to rip more cash from oor pockets. Take a look at your power bills you are paying so much for green tax. F*ckin bollocks I say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Dealer still says delivery will be October after I expressed some concern following some comments on this forum.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Davy, see those solar panels appearing on people's houses? Did you know you're paying for those through your taxes and electricity bills? So we're putting our money intothe pockets of the people who can afford to buy them!
In terms of performance, the new Rios is going to gettheir butts kicked by the new 1.25 litre Picanto. That's sad...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I know M4 its absolutely scandelous. I think your energy bills have a 12% fee that goes towards green energy development.

Yep a serious whipping for the new Rio

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone running a Rio yet? would really like some milage figures posted mainly the 1.25.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it were just me, i'd definitely go for the 1.1 CRDi. With todays fuel prices, sometimes you have to sacrifice performance for the fact it does 88mpg, which in my book is fantastic..

Myself though, will be going for the 1.4 CRDi Rio 3 model, in silver, and that's with me, the mrs, a 9 year old and a 9 month old baby, downgrading for my current60-reg white Focus 1.6 (115) Zetec-S (using too much fuel!).. the boot space obviously is less, but on the rare occasion we will actually fill the boot space and need extra, we are just going to banga trailer on the back, better than driving around an empty family sized car most of the time.

It's just going to be hard waiting until November!!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts