Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys.
As youre aware, the model 3, has diamond cut alloys.

Has anyone noticed any signs of corrosion emminating from the centre caps ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had the ones on my First Edition replaced about 6 months ago, the corrosion was around the outer edge of the wheel and on the edge of some of the spokes, it was like little white flecks on the silver of the alloy

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it looks like little lightning bolts in a milky sort of colour then go to dealer to get them replaced
You may find them starting to appear near the wall of the tyre also

·
Registered
453 Posts
Spot on Mr Kia thats how mine were.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Chrysler 300c, it's had 4 sets of wheels in 4 years.
Oh well, it looks like the problem doesn't go away with a car change then :-(

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
keat99 said:
I have a Chrysler 300c, it's had 4 sets of wheels in 4 years.
Oh well, it looks like the problem doesn't go away with a car change then :-(

I thought I'd seen your username somewhere else.

I've got a 300C too. 2009 and still on its original rims, although two of them are showing the first signs of corrosion around the centre cap.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's the laquer peeling or flaking off. Which causes more corrosion and more laquer to peel off. Was a notorious problem on a lot of VW alloys. Luckily under warranty. Problems worse in winter apparently when the coating is less flexible and more brittle, not to mention the damp conditions. Hope you get them sorted.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Do you not think some of these alloy wheel cleaners are way too strong and can cause oxidisation if there is any break in the laquer coating. Most of these cleaners are a very strong alkaline and that stuff loves bare alloy to get its teeth into. If you wash your wheels regularly with normal car shampoo and wax them after, it will not allow the brake dust and road grime to stick to them.
I agree prior to painting alloys you have to use an etching primer or the paint will flake off within weeks.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Acid based alloy wheel cleaners are only any use on bare alloy. The acid cant actually get to the metal to clean it on the painted or lacquered ones.

I just use warm soapy water to wash mine followed by wax if I have the time. I do it every week in the winter even if I can't be bothered to wash the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Company I work for has just gone bust so I have plenty of time in my hands... spent the last 2 days washing & polishing the car, but as Techno said best thing is warm soapy water & then I wipe LPS 1 or 2 on them....one & half winters so far and no signs of corrosion

·
Registered
65 Posts
the acid cleaners (if you can still buy them) are definitely best left alone. and wheel cleaning products from car accessory shops preity expensive and i find no better than the spray on bathroom + kitchen cleaners mr muscle, flash, etc, which are much cheaper, but better at getting the brake dust of than soap and water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts